GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,522 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Opinions needed - AH campaign mode rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walt Winfrey
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'm working on a set of house rules to run my group through a "campaign" version of AH and need a little input. I'm taking some inspiration from several of the other campaign mode threads, but most are a little heavy on additional mechanics that I don't think need to be introduced to an already complicated game.

Anyway, one of the key features is that an investigator will carry over certain items, memberships, etc. from game to game (assuming they survived) - including injury/madness cards. However, I'd like to be able to offer the option for an investigator to pay between games to discard one injury or madness - I'd want this to be difficult and costly, but not impossible.

What do you think would be a fair price to remove one injury or madness card from an investigator? $10?

And while I'm at it, any suggestions on which heralds/guardians would work best thematically with which GOOs (aside from the obvious Dunwich/Yog, Pharaoh/Nyarlathotep, Dagon/Hydra/Cthulhu, etc.) are also welcome.

Thanks!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Not sure it's exactly what you're looking for expansion wise but I'm running through a campaign right now with only a few new mechanics added in, check out my blog to read the runs and the rules.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt Winfrey
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tennispl wrote:
Not sure it's exactly what you're looking for expansion wise but I'm running through a campaign right now with only a few new mechanics added in, check out my blog to read the runs and the rules.


Thanks for posting - I don't think I had seen yours yet. I'll definitely keep reading to see how it goes.

I plan on handling item carryover pretty much the same way - I wouldn't be awarding skills after each game though - like you mention in your blog, there's too much risk of unbalancing if one investigator lives through several games.

I agree that there should be a way to drop an injury/madness between games, but I feel like there should be some sort of cost involved, whether it's monetary or sacrificing an item or skill.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feffe Aldritch
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
wwinfrey wrote:
Hi all,

I'm working on a set of house rules to run my group through a "campaign" version of AH and need a little input. I'm taking some inspiration from several of the other campaign mode threads, but most are a little heavy on additional mechanics that I don't think need to be introduced to an already complicated game.

Anyway, one of the key features is that an investigator will carry over certain items, memberships, etc. from game to game (assuming they survived) - including injury/madness cards. However, I'd like to be able to offer the option for an investigator to pay between games to discard one injury or madness - I'd want this to be difficult and costly, but not impossible.

What do you think would be a fair price to remove one injury or madness card from an investigator? $10?

And while I'm at it, any suggestions on which heralds/guardians would work best thematically with which GOOs (aside from the obvious Dunwich/Yog, Pharaoh/Nyarlathotep, Dagon/Hydra/Cthulhu, etc.) are also welcome.

Thanks!


We tried playing as a campaign but we just ended up dying. Just won a few games, so there wasn´t much to carry over to the next game
But I guess it depends on what kind of rules you use. Right now we are playing through all the AO´s and discard the losing investigators (the "dead pile") and put the winning ones back into the stack for maybe drawing them again.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rufus Mcdufus
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Personally, I do not think that they should be removeable as I see injuries and madness as the games way of balancing out investigators from accumulating too much stuff and becoming too powerful.

However, if you really think that they should be able to remove them then I would suggest $5 and missing 2 turns at the begining of the next mission per card you are trying to discard.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rufus Mcdufus
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Speaking of which I'm also a fan of posting some restrictions on what a character can carry over. Skills are permanent. Allies stay until killed. 4 Hands worth of items (not spells), and up to 4 items without hands can be carried over into the next mission. For spells I allow characters to keep up to their maximum sanity -2 in their spellbook but they start the next round with 1 less sanity for each spell they do carry over. The madness takes its toll!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
He said Spellbook ~ it's great to see another RPGer out here!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rufus Mcdufus
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Actually, I have never played a PnP RPG but you can still blame my use of the word "Spellbook" on Sandy Peterson as it is most likely a direct result of spending the last few weeks drooling over Cthulhu Wars!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's pretty impressive ~ I was honored to get an e-mail from him several months ago asking about "how to run a KS Project." It appears to be a cool game, but one of the great attractions for me with regard to AH is solo play.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt Winfrey
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The only possessions I plan on allowing the players to carry over are those that could have potentially been part of their starting kit. So, if your random possessions include a unique item, a common item, and a skill, you have the option of keeping one of each of those from the last game rather than selecting randomly. I'm not implementing any sort of "level up" feature or letting people keep anything beyond what they could have theoretically started with - I feel like giving them the ability to keep that enchanted sword they love so much is enough of a benefit without unbalancing the game.

Of course, now that I've said that, I'm starting to feel like I should just wipe any injuries or madness between sessions and let them start with a clean bill of health.

And yeah, Cthulhu Wars looks very fun (it better be, for as much as I just shelled out for it) - I may have to teach myself how to paint minis again.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rufus Mcdufus
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
I agree, it is rare that I actually take AH to my game group. It is definitely a game that I think is better solo.

I am actually working on a solo scenario where the monster cup starts out small with only 20 monsters and the location decks start out with about 18 cards (each area has 1-3 cards from each expansion). The idea is as the game goes on based on the locations and various events that occur more expansion cards will get added to the decks and tougher monsters will be added into the cup. It needs a lot of work still.

@Walt having read the rules I can say that I'm very happy with the rules for CW and even if I wasn't, I will definitely be using those monsters in AH.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt Winfrey
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rufusmcdufus wrote:

@Walt having read the rules I can say that I'm very happy with the rules for CW and even if I wasn't, I will definitely be using those monsters in AH.


Agreed. The components will definitely see a lot of use at my table regardless of how often we end up playing the actual game.

I still have a hard time getting a good feel for a game based on reading the rulebook - I really need to be an active participant to know if I like it or not. That said, I was sold enough on the concept to pledge at the $240 level (plus another $25 for the HPL player marker, because I'm an easy mark for that sort of thing). Looking forward to getting my copy at the end of the year.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donal O Suilleabhain
Australia
Bellingen
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wwinfrey wrote:
The only possessions I plan on allowing the players to carry over are those that could have potentially been part of their starting kit. So, if your random possessions include a unique item, a common item, and a skill, you have the option of keeping one of each of those from the last game rather than selecting randomly. I'm not implementing any sort of "level up" feature or letting people keep anything beyond what they could have theoretically started with - I feel like giving them the ability to keep that enchanted sword they love so much is enough of a benefit without unbalancing the game.

Of course, now that I've said that, I'm starting to feel like I should just wipe any injuries or madness between sessions and let them start with a clean bill of health.

And yeah, Cthulhu Wars looks very fun (it better be, for as much as I just shelled out for it) - I may have to teach myself how to paint minis again. :)


I did this playing through the First League Scenario (10 games), surviving investigators could carry over an item in lieu of a random item. It worked well but once investigators survived a few games they started to be able to carry over some money and clues, and this was a mistake as it made them a bit too powerful.

I think it's good to let them carry over one skill as it is quiet depressing to deal yourself a completely inappropriate skill to some investigators (Mike + Expert Occultist).

I also kept a track of how often investigators were knocked unconscious/driven insane and they were retired after 3 (wear & tear).

Cancelling Injury & Maddness?......How about spending 5 clue tokens. It means the investigator has to have 5 clues at the end of the game which would be pretty a steep requirement.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flex D
Australia
Emerald City, Oz.
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
At some time in a following game, go to the hospital/asylum, discard your injury/madness and one skill. This represents time recovering and losing your skill from it not being used. The main penalty here is time wasted going to the hospital/asylum plus time to go to MiskU to get another skill. If you like your skill, you must tolerate the injury/madness.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt Winfrey
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Both good suggestions.

I like the clue token option, as they're more valuable than money and it eliminates the likelihood of someone spending their last turn or two (say, while another player is a step away from sealing the 6th gate) rushing over to the bank to get a loan they know they won't have to pay. It also forces players to plan ahead - this will probably be what I end up doing.

Going to the hospital/asylum and discarding a skill could work too, as long as I mandate that they can't do that during the same game that they gained the injury. I see the benefits to doing it that way, but I think I'd prefer to deal with the discard between games. I want to preserve the normal rhythm of gameplay as much as possible, without introducing any new in-game tasks.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.