Popular Tags: [View All]
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
So here it is, another add-on for Carcassonne. Not that I am angry about it.

What you get:
• one card – holder – looking like a tower cut in half and fixed side by side. It is thick cardboard and looks sturdy.
• 30 wooden pieces (the tower) and
• 18 new cards showing a tower in various environments (city, land etc.).

All the rules of Carcassonne are the same. Three new rules come along:

When it is your turn you can do the same things as before OR you can:

a) place one wooden tower part on a card showing a tower symbol
b) put one wooden tower part on top of an existing tower – therefore adding to its height
c) put one of your meeples on top of a tower therefore "closing" this tower – no other parts can be put on top of it.

So, why should I build a tower? Good question. Whenever you build a tower or add height to a tower already in existence you can capture an enemy meeple (or should I better say a meeple of a different color) - but only one. If there are more meeples around you, it's your choice – bringing the wrath of your wife or your niece upon you. You can use this captured meeple in gaining one of your meeples back from your enemy (or better: the other player) or force your enemy to free his meeple in paying a ransom (3 VP – move back three fields on the scoring track) to get it back.

Capturing a meeple works the following way: Place a tower piece on top of a card showing a tower symbol. Now you can capture any meeple that sits one field afar from your tower (in the direction of a compass rose – only vertically and horizontally - not diagonally.
By adding another piece on top of this tower you expand your reach from one field to two fields, by adding a third part the reach is three fields in the directions mentioned above and so on. This also works over "holes" in the game board (free space). I think you got the point here.
To protect your meeples it might be useful to place one of your meeples on top of a tower – therefore closing it. The bad side on this is, that your meeple stays there until the end of the game – scoring nothing. So the only reason in doing this is to protect one or more valuable meeples (mostly farmers in the games I experienced).

Evaluation:

Negative: This edition adds more competition to Carcassonne. Close to the Princess, the Kartharer or the Count the game gets a nasty factor not everyone might like with Carcassonne. Mixing this with the additions mention before it will be a killer for farmers (that's what I experienced in the game). The dragon ate those who weren't captured by "Towers".

Positive: The "Tower" gives a nice strategy touch to the game. Due to the fact that everyone is able to place a piece on top of every tower on the table, you constantly have to check if your prized possession (aka meeple) is still safe or if you better risk "to waste" a tile (by placing it but not putting a meeple on top of it) and sacrifice a meeple in closing a threatening tower near you. It adds more possibilities to the game therefore making it a bit complicated but adding to the depth and strategy. A well-done edition with a new twist. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefanie Kethers
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alphawolf wrote:
...you constantly have to check if your prized possession (aka meeple) is still safe or if you better avoid drawing another card and sacrifice a meeple in closing a threatening tower near you.

Hm, what do you mean 'avoid drawing another card'? The way I understand the (English) rules, you draw and place a tile as usual, and then decide whether you want to place a follower or take any one of the three new actions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thankx for pointing me to my error. I changed (edited) it.

Sometimes my brain is to fast or to complicated for my typing...

I tried to say the right thing but typed a different one. D'oh. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.