Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Euro with Voting Mechanic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Huberty (General Trashy Meeples the Ambigamer)
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to fill a couple of holes in my collection and one mechanic lacking that really intrigues me is that of voting.

Some possibilities I'm considering are Cuba, Lancaster, In the Shadow of the Emperor and Sylla with Warrior Knights, Twilight Imperium, the Republic of Rome and Founding Fathers as peripheral possibilities. Could you offer me some input regarding the relative merits of the above titles or suggest some alternatives. I'm particularly interested in your thoughts on the implementation of the aforementioned mechanic.

TIA

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
There's always Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game. Perhaps not your cup of tea, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are not the same type of game that you mention above, but The Resistance and The Resistance: Avalon both include the voting mechanic for quest selection.

I will not suggest Dixit, as you already own it (and frankly it is not exactly a voting mechanic anyway, as it uses an objective determinant that is not plurality/majority vote). But damn that game is good.

EDIT: I see now that you also have The Resistance, but you have it marked as Want To Play, so I suppose my suggestion is still fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Voting is a, and not the most important, mechanism in Lancaster. So I wouldn't hold it up as an example of a great voting game. But a very good game that includes some voting, yes.

(It's particularly useful as a game at its best with five. Not the only one of course - Amun Re is a another. But always good to have games for such cases around.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Huberty (General Trashy Meeples the Ambigamer)
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixit is fantastic, as is the Resistance. I guess something along the lines of the Resistance within a larger Euro style game. Maybe votes on game rule modifications or advantages, etc...

The fact that Lancaster isn't exclusively a voting game is fine for my ask.

I remember playing BSG and enjoying but I don't remember the voting element. Could you refresh my memory?

Thanks for your comments

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lifeboats

Almost everything done requires a vote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Also check out City of Horror and Chicken Caesar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trev
Australia
St Kilda
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Shadow of the Emperor

is the pin up boy of Euros with voting mechanisms.

"Germany in the late middle ages! It is a time of flourishing cities, influential bishops, the powerful popes, and a pompous aristocracy. In such a volatile climate, no dynasty can remain in power for long. Several aristocratic families seek to acquire the crown of the emperor. But this decision lies in the hands of the seven electors. 2–4 imperial candidates use their knights and cities, marry their barons, and work to influence the electors. But all efforts are useless if the candidate is not elected. But, in the shadow of the properly elected emperor are always those who want to displace him."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Junta

and Wacky Wacky West

are games in which voting is a central aspect of the game.
The first is a satirical and long (about 4 hours) politics game, the second a lighter family game (Spiel des Jahres 1991).

Nyet! comes also to my mind,
and Rapa Nui has an interesting kind of voting mechanism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.