GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,743 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: will there be improvments in the 2nd edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henrik Bergander
Sweden
Vasteras
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I watch the reviews, I can't help but notice that many complain about the lack of difficulty. The villians of the core game, seems to be too Weak. Is this something you think Upper deck entertainment will fix for a 2nd edition along with more artwork on the cards? Is it worth waiting for, or should I buy the 1st edition of the core game right away?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stokes
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's highly unlikely they'll do a different second edition, especially in such a short time frame from the original release. I think they're focused purely on expansions for now.

Sure, many masterminds/schemes are fairly easy to beat, but every so often you get a setup that really kicks your arse, and they're fun to figure out and beat. For the easier setups, forget co-operation and just play competitively for the most points. Buying or KOing heroes that another player wants is both entertaining, and makes the scenario more difficult to win, so works on both counts.

So yes, buy the game immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
henrikbergander wrote:
When I watch the reviews, I can't help but notice that many complain about the lack of difficulty. The villians of the core game, seems to be too Weak. Is this something you think Upper deck entertainment will fix for a 2nd edition along with more artwork on the cards? Is it worth waiting for, or should I buy the 1st edition of the core game right away?

I don't think that they will change the difficulty in a second edition. Mostly because it's possible to fix that with expansions, dark city added things to fix this for example.

Artwork may be changed in a second edition but I've not heard any news of a second edition, I would say that without an announcement it's not worth waiting. Especially since artwork is not a good enough reason for them to release a new edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knobbly Savage
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brenzor (the Brand Manager for Upper Deck - hope I got his title correct ) just recently posted that there will not be a reprint any time soon, an actual second edition with serious changes in the rules, if it ever happens at all, won't come for several years. If you really are concerned about the difficulty, get Dark City as well - while there have been confirmed victories over Apocalypse, those are the exception, not the rule...

You also can increase the difficulty of the base set setups by using more scheme twists, playing 2 villain cards every turn, increasing the strength of the Mastermind and generally looking at the challenge modes both in the base game rules and the new ones in the Dark City rules (posted here on BGG).

I would definitely advise you to get the base game right away instead of waiting for another edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just reiterating what the good folks over here are saying, but from an official standpoint. The game has not even been out a year and, while we are extremely happy with how the community has embraced it, the time is not now to even think of a second edition.

We are in fact focused on expansions through 2014 and then I will revisit the Legendary brand as a whole to determine its next phase.

Bottom line, don't wait as you will be missing out on what is genuinely a fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Bergander
Sweden
Vasteras
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the feedback. I'll order the game right away
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
henrikbergander wrote:

And if you think that something is too easy you can always do your own "tweaking" with your own house rules. I think that the Red Skull is a lot stronger villain than he appears to be in the game so right now I am experimenting with making his fight strength 10 each game (a.k.a tyrant mode) and also altering his master strike so that you have to discard a non-gray hero when he strikes. Don't know what the end result will be just yet, but part of the fun of games (and what makes a really good game, IMO) is when you can add your own small changes to the game without altering the overall structure and still have a roaring good time! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Becker

Missouri
msg tools
mupdan wrote:
It's highly unlikely they'll do a different second edition, especially in such a short time frame from the original release. I think they're focused purely on expansions for now.

Sure, many masterminds/schemes are fairly easy to beat, but every so often you get a setup that really kicks your arse, and they're fun to figure out and beat. For the easier setups, forget co-operation and just play competitively for the most points. Buying or KOing heroes that another player wants is both entertaining, and makes the scenario more difficult to win, so works on both counts.

So yes, buy the game immediately.

I wonder if you've had your wife cuss at you and throw things when you take the character she wants because it "goes with my deck!" Lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I can't help but notice that many complain about the lack of difficulty.

Those players have somehow failed to notice that it's a competitive game. The other players provide the difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Khan
msg tools
StormKnight wrote:
Quote:
I can't help but notice that many complain about the lack of difficulty.

Those players have somehow failed to notice that it's a competitive game. The other players provide the difficulty.

I agree, my group plays competitively and when people start trying to balance what they have to do to personally win while preventing everyone from losing things can get all kinds of difficult unless you're playing some lame scheme with Red Skull mastermind.

The game also includes rules for increased challenge in the base set, and more variants in Dark City. The game is also pretty flexible house rule wise, and I've had some absolutely nightmarish down to the wire struggles with buffed masterminds and running two schemes at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moosey
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BertMcCloud wrote:
Especially since artwork is not a good enough reason for them to release a new edition.

Dominant Species did. (there may have been some other changes, but not that I've heard of)

Actually, they may have done this more than once. And it's not a very old game.

I have the original, and I'm happy with it. But it's a little bothersome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Though I'd be all over it when they release the base heroes with new artwork. That's the only aspect of the game that differentiates the base from the expansions. I'm a big fan of what I call "invisible integration," meaning that if you were to put the game in front of someone, they'd never be able to tell what components are expansion and which are base, it's just all a cohesive unit of a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.