Winter Tales» Forums » General

Subject: How exactly does this play out? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love RPGs and storygames like Once Upon A Time, along with all the usual BGG faves. So I'm very interested in this, but I'm having a hard time understanding how the game actuslly proceeds, and what role narrative takes in gameplay.

Anyone here understand the (p)reviews better than me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pana elcafetal
msg tools
mb
Sorry but I'm with you... I love the artistic design and the premise of the game. However, I have no clue of how does it work as a whole.Let's wait for someone else
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia Smith
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Hi, I'm leeece on yucata.de
badge
Maybe we can grab a game sometime?
mbmbmbmbmb
Simply put, you're given a character and a bunch of cards with little images on them. Typically you will either be on Winter or Spring's side.
(unless you're the Writer, but that is a little different)

Read your character backstory. Get into it.

Your side will be interested in promoting your own Quest and preventing the other side's one. There will be a certain amount of Quests per game, assigned beforehand.

So, I am Brontolo - Grumpy the Dwarf. My brothers were all killed in the Conflict of Autumn, and the bottle has been my way of dealing with the tragedy.

It's my turn.

As a player I know I need to get Brontolo to the Fair of Wonders to participate in a Quest that's happening there.

Brontolo is two spaces away from the Fair.

I play a card with a skull on it. (I could play any card - one card gives me two movement, so, if nothing untoward occurs along the way, it's all good. I have the option of furthering the story during movement, so I do.)

"Brontolo" I say, "Is ruminating on the death of his brothers, and dark thoughts fill his mind. However, piercing through his grief a soft, clear note falling through the frozen air from the direction of the Fair of Wonders draws him that way."

My movement card is discarded and I start to move toward the Fair of Wonders.

On the next space, though, Rob controls Snow White, on the opposite side.
He now has the option of challenging me to a Battle. He'll need to use cards to do it though, and perhaps he'll prefer to save them for the Quest.

"Aha!" Snow White, Rob explains, is disturbed by the ethereal music coming from the Market. "A filthy little dwarf. Which one were you? You all look the same you know." Rob plays a card which could be a plateau or a pit, depending on how you look at it - he is initiating a battle.

"I will have my guards throw you into the pit, for daring to disturb me!"
Snow White, suspicious of the dwarf's sudden appearance - might have something to do with that annoying music, Rob explains.

Brontolo must play a card - otherwise he will be incapacitated. Hopefully he has one - yes he does, it is either a flying cucumber, some sort of kaiju, or an airship.

"Brontolo, aghast at being caught, pulls out his most treasured possession. He takes a deep drink from the bottle and nearly chokes, as there is a small silver whistle in the bottom. Dwarfish work! His alcohol fuddled eyes read the engraving. 'Remember us brother' Brontolo blows the whistle as hard as he can, and from the direction of the Memory Lane Cemetary a great rushing is heard and a huge Airship of Dwarfish make rumbles overhead."

As Rob declines to play another card, Brontolo has won the Battle and continues on his way. Unfortunately he is now out of cards so cannot participate in the Quest.

"Brontolo, with great relief, swings up the rope ladder and turns the mighty Airship toward the Market. Even if he is unable to participate, he will be the witness to astounding events."

All of the cards used in the Battle will be assigned to the appropriate side and totalled up at the end of the game to see which side won.

That's an example of a small section of play. The key thing is the Story. If someone gets writer's block, everyone can help, or if an idea works better it can be worked in even if it's not your turn.

If you love storytelling, this is your game. Add the modules to stop your non-story loving gamer friends whinging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Cremona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a good explanation Alicia, thanks!

Let's say that every Story card has been designed to have an "open" interpretation, so YOU decide what do YOU see. This is an important step of the WT System, as it is a mechanic that fits the rules with incredible concequences!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Grey Dolphin Games
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the fun part of the game: making your own stories.

However, the game's weakness is that no matter how great your story is, you only win a challenge if you played more cards. Unfortunately, for me, the fact that the rules force this tactical choice detracts from the enjoyment of making a story. I either have to: A) sit there and let my opponent incapacitate me regardless of what story I've unfolded because I have no cards left, or B) abrubtly end my story because wasting one extra card would be a poor tactical choice.

The fact that there are winners and losers in encounters, and there is a distinct punishment for losing makes the game more tactical than I would have hoped for a storytelling game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.