Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexandra Logan
Australia
Bardon
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
I've come to the realisation that I don't like expansions. They tend to overcomplicate games. And most of the expansions I have bought either never get played or directly result in me trading the game away.

However, what I would like is a different & distinct game set in the same universe or thematic realm as one of my other games.

Examples may be:
Android: Netrunner and Android: Infiltration
The Resistance and the new edition of Coup
Among The Stars and the to be released New Dawn
Arkham Horror and Elder Sign

These games give you the same thematic feeling while being distinct and contained games in their own right.

What are some thematic sequels you can think of?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
loganbreath wrote:
Android: Netrunner and Android: Infiltration

You forgot Android.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out AEG's Tempest series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R J
United States
Oswego
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think maybe Rex: Final Days of an Empire could be considered a sequel to Twilight Imperium (Third Edition). It's a totally different game, but set in the same universe/theme/etc and based on the Dune board game from years back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
El Grande and El Caballero

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic the Gathering does this well. There are a number of worlds the expansions explore such as Mirrodin, Phyrexia, Kamigawa, Ravnica to name a few. And some have been visited in multiple expansions. They are all different from each other and effect the tone, feel and mechanics of the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Randell
United Kingdom
Newport
flag msg tools
http://www.gamesquest.co.uk/blog/
badge
http://www.gamesquest.co.uk/blog/
mbmbmbmbmb
There is indeed Arkham Horror and Elder Sign but you missed Mansions of Madness from the set
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kaercher
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Level 7 [Escape] & Level 7 [Omega Protocol] tell a story through their campaigns, with Omega Protocol beginning where Escape left off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Realms of Terrinoth setting from FFG includes:
Descent
Dungeonquest
Rune Age
Runebound
Rune Wars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyssa McCain
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikal and Tikal II: The Lost Temple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon and Blue Moon City;
Primordial Soup and Urland;
Dungeon Lords and Dungeon Petz;
Fische Fluppen Frikadellen, Fearsome Floors and Formidable Foes;
Catan, The Rivals for Catan, Candamir: The First Settlers, Elasund: The First City etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a GeekList listing groups of games that share a setting:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/156168/games-with-a-shared...

Including two of my favorite games pretty much ever: Space Alert (same world as Galaxy Trucker, similar "impending doom" feeling) and BattleCON (same universe as several games by the same designer).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the Games Workshop Ltd. inspired games..of course you have to break them up into either the Warhammer 40,000 (ie Relic, Space Hulk (third edition), Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game) and Warhammer (ie Chaos in the Old World, Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game) universes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola, Le Havre, At the Gates of Loyang, Le Havre: The Inland Port, Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small and arguably Ora et Labora all follow similar themes, with recurring mechanics and the same approach to graphic design. They feel very much like a family of games, but are all unique in their gameplay.

The Scepter of Zavandor, The Mines of Zavandor, The Gnomes of Zavandor are a good series of Euro games with (unusually for Euros) a fantasy setting.

Key Harvest, Keyflower, Key Market, Keythedral etc. are a very good series of Euro games set in the same "Key" world with a shared design aesthetic, although some are hard to get. (I haven't even mentioned the most obscure Key games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stéphane Athimon
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have add a lighter game which is the spin of Love Letter.

This game is called Lost Legacy and it has two deck inside (it can be played up to 6 players if you mix the two decks).

It uses the mechanics of Love Letter but it also adds an investigation phase that was not present in the first game.

As Love Letter was rather a family game Lost Legacy tends to be for pure gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.