Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, we got an extra sheet of tiles in our copy of Gardens, tile set #1. I can probably figure out what extra Garden tiles we have from looking at a completed game picture, but if someone can easily tell me what was on Tile Set #1, that'd be great. I know I have 10 extra 1 Buildings.

My wife got this game from my brother on my suggestion. I didn't realize that it was a rerelease of an old game until just a few minutes ago when I looked it up and saw that it was originally published in 1994. That's kind of annoying in my opinion. I recommended it because I knew my wife liked Alhambra, so I thought she would like a similar game. However, this game has NOTHING in common with Alhambra except the theme, and that's a pretty weak connection.

Reading the rules, I didn't think we'd like the game very much. It's obviously an abstract game with the theme pasted on. However, when we started playing, I enjoyed it. It's a good abstract game. It's fun and I'm not unhappy to have it. I'd probably give it a 7 or so.

It's pretty but the tiles are hard to pick up and keep straight because it's a tight fit. It looks like the old version had some spaces between the tiles so you can flip them over easily.

Just wanted to write a few words because I might be writing a review later and I wanted to get my impressions down before I went to bed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BookandGame wrote:
First off, we got an extra sheet of tiles in our copy of Gardens, tile set #1. I can probably figure out what extra Garden tiles we have from looking at a completed game picture, but if someone can easily tell me what was on Tile Set #1, that'd be great. I know I have 10 extra 1 Buildings.

Personally, I think the game needs some extra garden tiles. The building tiles are fine, but it's too easy to "count cards" in this game. In the last round or so, when scoring opportunities become fewer but tend to do more damage, it's too easy to see what's on the board and calculate what's left to draw. There are six tiles each of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 trees. People who know that, and pay attention to it, have a big advantage over people who are just drawing their tiles and hoping they'll get lucky. If they included more garden tiles than you could possibly use in a game, it would be a whole lot more interesting because you would never know what that next tile draw would give you...

Quote:
I knew my wife liked Alhambra, so I thought she would like a similar game. However, this game has NOTHING in common with Alhambra except the theme, and that's a pretty weak connection.

Agreed. I bought this game for the same reason--my wife and I love to play Alhambra with just the two of us. So I bought the "expansion kit" that includes the Vizier, etc, and I bought The Gardens. The latter has nothing to do with Alhambra other than the theme itself. I like the game, but I haven't tried it on the wife yet. I think she'll like it, too, but I think she'll also be as disappointed as I was that it's not really all that Alhambra-ish. Alhambraic? It lacks Alhambrocity? At any rate, it feels more like a puzzle than a game. You just spend each turn trying to figure out what your best move is. It's always there--it's just a matter of whether or not you'll see it.

My biggest worry so far, however, is simply the luck factor. In the first game I played, the guy who won sure drew an awful lot of 5's and 6's. I kept getting 1's and 2's, which pretty much relegated me to playing defense a lot. After all, you're not likely to capture many 4- and 5-point buildings by planting single trees next to them. I got badly beaten because Palm and Lemon kept setting me up in positions where all I could do was prevent Lavender from scoring too many easy points. "Gee, do I hand him 10 points so he can't have 15, or do I hand him 6 points so he can't have 9...?" Worst of all, they always left him more great moves than I could possibly block. As a result, he won running away, and I was a mile behind everybody.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IrishFire Herself
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sorry to resurrect a necrothread, but this "problem" caught my interest as I'm thinking of redesigning the board a bit. Do you think if each player started with an equal set of garden tiles to draw randomly from it would play a bit better?

As in, each of x players has equal numbers of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 tiles, but they draw them in random orders? For my redesign, this is as simple as crafting sets of tiles with different colored backs to play with. Scaling down what tiles they have in their hands to play when there are more persons playing (or for that matter, enlarging the board) becomes a simple playtesting problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.