GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,805 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Useful Information rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Konstantinos Liolios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mb
Hello everyone, I recently bought BBTM and I've gathered some stuff from reading these forums or deciphering the FFG rulebook/FAQ...

The term "dice" means either one, or both dice.

Players' skills appear above the card's text box, while players' abilities appear inside the card's text box.

If the ball token is at midfield and a manager commits a player with two "passing" skill icons (e.g. "wood elf thrower"), that player may use the first "passing" skill to take the ball token. However, he may not use the second "passing" skill to give the ball token to another friendly player at the matchup.

A manager may commit a player to any one side of a highlight.

A failed tackle ("tackler down" result) prevents any remaining skills of a player from activating, that's because the player becomes immediately downed.

When a player is downed, he loses all abilities - that includes any "response" or "scoreboard phase" abilities. An exception to this rule is "cornelius krieg", that's because his ability becomes active when he becomes downed (by a successful opposing tackle attempt or a failed tackle).

When a manager receives multiple payouts from a matchup, he receives them seperately - not all together.

Firstly, a manager drafts any star players with the "freebooter" ability, adds them to his roster and shuffles it to create a new team deck. Note that when a manager drafts a player with the "freebooter" ability, before doing anything else, he may remove any one player from his roster. Finally, he places any star players without the "freebooter" ability on top of his team deck in any order.

The rulebook instructs you in shuffling a new team deck when your team deck is depleted, even if you don't have to draw - so you shuffle as soon as your team deck is empty. If you sprint the last card of your team deck into your hand - shuffle a new team deck first, then discard a card.

Each time a manager discards multiple cards, he may discard them all at once - this makes only the top card of the discard pile visible. Discard piles are not public knowledge, no manager may look through any discard pile. Also, a manager may not count how many cards are left in his team deck or discard pile.

After successfully tackling an opposing player, players like "beastman" or "the death roller" are obliged to gain a cheating token - there is no "may" in their ability's wording.

If a manager commits a player this turn and that player becomes downed, his manager may use a coaching "matchup action" (e.g. "cheating coach") on him - regardless of his downed state.

Nothing prevents a downed player from getting the ball through the usage of "dump-off". A player affects the ball only when he becomes downed or injured, and at that point he drops the ball. Note that a player with "dump-off" can't use that ability to himself - the wording should be "another friendly player", not "a friendly player".

"Dodge" instructs you in forcing the opposing manager to reroll all tackle dice. However, the number (and the choice) of the tackle dice depends on the star power of the competing players.

The term "look at 1 cheating token" means that only you can see what is under the cheating token - not all the managers.

A manager may use "tackling coach" on "da troll", and if he's lucky enough, he will be able to activate "piling on" and injure any opposing players he previously downed. The only time that "piling on" can't become active, is when "da troll" has equal star power to the opposing player - that's because you roll only one tackle dice. A manager may activate any "response" abilities between these tackles. If "da troll" attempts a tackle and rolls a "target down-target down" result, and the opposing manager forces, by any means, a reroll of one or both tackle dice; unless the reroll results to "target down-target down" again, "piling on" can't become active. Note that "piling on" is the continuation of tackle - if you resolve a "tackler down" result, you don't get a cheating token ("da troll" is now downed).

"Lord borak the despoiler" can't discard an ejection cheating token from a friendly player, that's because his ability becomes active after the ejection procedure. So, his ability is useful only for removing a beneficial cheating token from an opposing player.

If a manager moves a downed player to another matchup, that player remains downed. Even if that player was standing, his manager wouldn't be able to use his "when played" abilities or skills - these may become active only when a player is committed to a matchup.

"Orcidas sponsorship" takes precedence over "dump-off". That's because "orcidas sponsorship" will prevent the ball from being dropped, and "dump-off" doesn't prevent the ball from being taken away. Note that "strip ball" works in the same way, it will prevent the ball from being dropped.

"Writhing tentacles" may also be used during an opposing player's tackle attempt.

When you use "dodge type thing", you are the one who decides which dice is to be rerolled.

Let's say "flooding causes soggy pitch!" is faceup, players like "human blitzer" or "chaos warrior" attempt a tackle and the outcome is "target down-tackler down" - their ability can't be activated. That's because they, and their targets, become instantly and simultaneously downed - so they lose all their abilities and remaining skills. Only if the players had something like "sure hands" or "dump-off", would they still be able to use that ability. While this headline is faceup, it's the only time when a player may become directly injured (by an opposing "target down-target down" result).

Let's say "violence at an all-time high!" is faceup, everytime a player becomes downed (by a successful opposing tackle attempt or a failed tackle), the opposing manager is the one who rolls the dice to see if that player becomes injured or not. If a manager who owns "bloodthirsty supporters" rolls and injures an opposing player with the help of this headline, that manager gains one fan.

If you found something wrong or controversial, feel free to comment! Thanks for reading!

Edits are made in order to make this post as perfect as possible. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone finds this useful (even if they haven't taken the time to thank you yet in this thread). Good post.

One thing that might be worth mentioning in regards to this point,

Perceval wrote:
Firstly, a manager drafts any star players with the "freebooter" ability, adds them to his roster and shuffles it to create a new team deck. Finally, he places any star players without the "freebooter" ability on top of his team deck in any order.

is that if it is a Freebooter, you MAY take one player out from your roster and put it in the game box (thus, the Freebooter takes his place), if you wish to. It is not mandatory - the FAQ reinforces this:

Blood Bowl FAQ, Version 1.0, Page 2 wrote:

Q: When a manager reveals a Freebooter from his improvement pile,
is he required to return one card from his roster to the game box?
A: No, it is optional. On page 17 of the rulebook, it reads “you may
remove any one Player card…” The Freebooter ability text on Player
cards merely serves as a reminder for what the ability does. Note that the
manager must shuffle his deck and discard pile, even if he chooses not to
return one card to the game box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Liolios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
is that if it is a Freebooter, you MAY take one player out from your roster and put it in the game box (thus, the Freebooter takes his place), if you wish to. It is not mandatory - the FAQ reinforces this:

You're absolutely right. I did know that one, but I totally forgot to write it down.
I'll re-edit the post to change this and some other things. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got this game a while back and have yet to play it. Thanks for compiling this list of useful information. Maybe I'll give it a go one of these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Hebert
Canada
Granby
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having problems understanding Cornelius Krieg's card....

First he can take the hit for anyone....even if he's not in his space??

and secondly....who gains the cheat token??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Voodoo257 wrote:
I'm having problems understanding Cornelius Krieg's card....

First he can take the hit for anyone....even if he's not in his space??

Only a player at the same matchup.

Voodoo257 wrote:
and secondly....who gains the cheat token??

Cornelius Krieg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.