Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gator Skin
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boy, I fear this is a really dumb question but my forum search didn't turn up the answer, so here goes:

In the Anaconda and Mission Accomplished scenarios, the World GWOT posture is indicated to be "??" What does this mean?

Cordially,
The U.S. Government
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rules in front of me right now, but I believe in those scenarios, you are directed to test certain countries at setup. Set the World Posture according to the results of the test, which will depend on the results of your rolls. (It should be set to #Hard - #Soft, where a negative result indicates the Soft number and a positive result indicates the Hard number.) Don't forget Israel is always Hard when counting Hard countries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
butsam wrote:
I don't have the rules in front of me right now, but I believe in those scenarios, you are directed to test certain countries at setup. Set the World Posture according to the results of the test, which will depend on the results of your rolls. (It should be set to #Hard - #Soft, where a negative result indicates the Soft number and a positive result indicates the Hard number.) Don't forget Israel is always Hard when counting Hard countries.

Correct, the posture of some countries is random so World Posture is unknown until they are resolved.

Philip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had trouble finding the random tests. I found them hidden at the end. Jihadist places cells somewhere and then tests the untested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gator Skin
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two years later, a follow-up question:

When setting up a "??" World Posture, do you "count" Israel's inherent Hard posture as a "point" in the "Hard" direction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gatorskin wrote:
Two years later, a follow-up question:

When setting up a "??" World Posture, do you "count" Israel's inherent Hard posture as a "point" in the "Hard" direction?

Yes. The world posture is counted the same way as you would do it normally in the gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Figo 3434
msg tools
After placing a cell in three non-US countries according to the Anaconda setup, you are supposed to "test any unmarked". Does this refer to both unmarked non-Muslim and Muslim countries?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Figo3434 wrote:
After placing a cell in three non-US countries according to the Anaconda setup, you are supposed to "test any unmarked". Does this refer to both unmarked non-Muslim and Muslim countries?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Figo 3434
msg tools
Is there any hint in the rules to support this? On the one hand, "unmarked" is defined in the glossary as referring to both Muslim and non-Muslim countries, yet the scenario setup for Anaconda lists an exact number for Fair/Good Countries and Poor/Islamist Rules Countries, while showing "??" for GWOT (World), which would make sense if only unmarked non-Muslim countries were to be tested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Figo3434 wrote:
Is there any hint in the rules to support this? On the one hand, "unmarked" is defined in the glossary as referring to both Muslim and non-Muslim countries, yet the scenario setup for Anaconda lists an exact number for Fair/Good Countries and Poor/Islamist Rules Countries, while showing "??" for GWOT (World), which would make sense if only unmarked non-Muslim countries were to be tested.

From the setup:
Quote:
• Jihadist: Place a cell each in three non-US countries, then test any unmarked.

It doesn't say "non-Muslim", so all countries (other than the US) are available to receive a Cell. As to the question marks for GWOT but not for Countries, I can't say. Maybe it's a copy/paste error. Regardless, I'm sure Volko could clarify. But with how it is written now I will stick with my interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another interpretation, not rejected up to now, can be found in an old thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/7907979#7907979

I've never played Anaconda blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evacbs wrote:
Another interpretation, not rejected up to now, can be found in an old thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/7907979#7907979

I've never played Anaconda blush

I'm not sure what the "interpretation" is, unless you're referring to the person that said:
tinimini wrote:
...you get to place 3 cells in any non-US countries.

In which case that's incorrect. The bullet says "Place a Cell each", meaning one and only one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I meant this: from this thread I got the impression that you all agreed to test each and every unmarked Country after those three Cells are placed; in that old thread, another player wrote that you have to test, if necessary, only the Countries in which those new Cells have been placed.

Anyway, I'll retreat in my cave waiting for an official answer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not even sure what the official question is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gator Skin
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the one who asked this question 4 years ago, and now I'm even more confused than ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! Sorry for the delay.

Place a cell each in any 3 countries except the United States.

If any of the 3 countries receiving a cell is unmarked, test it.

The tests may affect World GWOT and may add to the numbers of Fair/Good and Poor/Islamist Rule countries listed above. Adjust those markers accordingly.

Hope that answers!
Best, Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.