Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Mice and Mystics» Forums » Rules

Subject: Encounter Card + Time is Short! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sturmer
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Two Rule questions:

Question 1)
Considering that there are two difficulty levels of encounter cards, am I correct in assuming:

Easy Game Setting: Use only "standard" difficulty encounter cards.

Medium Game Setting: Use both decks mixed together.

Hard Game Setting: Use only "difficult" encounter cards.

Question 2)
The time is Short! rule states that when the last mouse on the initiative track has taken his turn and there are no minions on the board, add a cheese to the minion cheese wheel. So when the last mouse on the initiative track defeats the final monster his turn is completed without minions on the board. Does this mean cheese is then added? While this seems to be technically correct, it also seems to be against the spirit of the rule.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the Encounter cards. Each chapter setup dictates the encounter card set up and what combinations if any. So it's not the player that decides the Easy, Medium and Hard game setting, it's the chapter setup that determines that.

Regarding the Time is Short. If the last mouse kills the last minion, you add the cheese. You can always have the last mouse on the track do a search or move or whatever, and keep the cheese from getting added to the wheel. Then you can attack that last minion with the mice that are higher on the track and if you kill it you will have some time to have mice search or whatever before exploring into a new tile. But it's up to you and how much cheese is already on the wheel and how you want to play it. Of course, if that minion's card is high on the initiative track, it may be able to wound, capture or at least roll another cheese if it gets another chance to attack. So ultimately there are a few factors that can determine what you want to do.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Breden
United States
Independence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to recall reading in another thread that the game designer himself doesn't play with the cheese being added if the last mouse kills the last minion. If that house rule is good enough for him, it is good enough for me.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with that house rule. It just makes sense.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorite design points of Mice and Mystics is the designer's belief that the rules should be tweaked to whatever makes the game fun for your group. Find the game too easy? Use the difficult cards! Hate adding that cheese when the minion is defeated by the last mouse? Don't do it!

I think I'm summarizing Jerry Hawthorne correctly, if not he'll clarify. That's another great thing about Mice and Mystics: the designer is active in these forums.

Love the game!


Bill
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sturmer00 wrote:
Two Rule questions:



Question 2)
The time is Short! rule states that when the last mouse on the initiative track has taken his turn and there are no minions on the board, add a cheese to the minion cheese wheel. So when the last mouse on the initiative track defeats the final monster his turn is completed without minions on the board. Does this mean cheese is then added? While this seems to be technically correct, it also seems to be against the spirit of the rule.

If the last mouse on the track defeats the last minion on the track do add a cheese to the wheel at the end of the round. This is the rule, and this is how I play, unless I am playing with my kids... then I let them slide on this one.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fiend
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I can't find it anywhere else so I'll ask here as it seems to fit the title. If you get 2 HITS on a Roach, 3 on a Rat, 2 on Collin when he only has 1 heart left they why do they get to roll a defense? They can't do anything but add cheese to the wheel or get cheese (which wouold immedietally be lost upon capture) unless there is a special card allowing for double blocks.
I think if a figure is overpowered it shouldn't get a defense roll but that's just my opinion. So, if there is no way to block ALL the damage to prevent a figure from being killed/captured do you still make a defense roll?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimzik wrote:
OK, I can't find it anywhere else so I'll ask here as it seems to fit the title. If you get 2 HITS on a Roach, 3 on a Rat, 2 on Collin when he only has 1 heart left they why do they get to roll a defense? They can't do anything but add cheese to the wheel or get cheese (which wouold immedietally be lost upon capture) unless there is a special card allowing for double blocks.
I think if a figure is overpowered it shouldn't get a defense roll but that's just my opinion. So, if there is no way to block ALL the damage to prevent a figure from being killed/captured do you still make a defense roll?
Minions do add cheese to the wheel even when it is impossible to successfully defend. We call this "dead-with-cheese" at my house.

Also, there are numerous cases where the mice might seem like they are incapable of succeeding at a defense roll, but that cheese could make the difference.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
Regarding the Encounter cards. Each chapter setup dictates the encounter card set up and what combinations if any. So it's not the player that decides the Easy, Medium and Hard game setting, it's the chapter setup that determines that.

Regarding the Time is Short. If the last mouse kills the last minion, you add the cheese. You can always have the last mouse on the track do a search or move or whatever, and keep the cheese from getting added to the wheel. Then you can attack that last minion with the mice that are higher on the track and if you kill it you will have some time to have mice search or whatever before exploring into a new tile. But it's up to you and how much cheese is already on the wheel and how you want to play it. Of course, if that minion's card is high on the initiative track, it may be able to wound, capture or at least roll another cheese if it gets another chance to attack. So ultimately there are a few factors that can determine what you want to do.


You prove the OPs point. The spirit of the rule "time is short" is to prevent repeated searching and stockpiling of cards and to give the game a sense of urgency.
If you kill a minion with the last character and explore with the first mouse you have not gone against the spirit of the game yet you have to take a cheese. Plus you have taken less "short time".
If you search with the last mouse and search / kill the last minion with other mice then explore with the last mouse next turn you are clearly gaming the system but you don't get a cheese and you are taking more of the "short time".

I think I will house rule that as soon as all minions are defeated, the initiative track is reset with the characters and you have one round to leave.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the "spirit of the game," just a note, "nobeerblues" is the game's designer and posted above you that you do in fact add the cheese. You might have already known that but thought I'd share.

I like to bend this rule myself sometimes, despite knowing it's not how the game's intended to be played (we get too sullen when we lose, so we cheat a lot... it's no coincidence I like to play Filch). Your house rule sounds like a good one.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew that. I just find the designer's answers to be conflicted. It seems that they waver back and forth between rules being aimed at promoting the narrative and aimed at structuring the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.