Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i.e., do you need your own units to launch a campaign, or can you launch a campaign with just the Polish army? I'm not sure if you would ever want to do so as I am just reading the rules now, but a strict reading of the rules seems to suggest it is possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
When you are campaigning (Phase 10) and wish to use the Polish army you need to have some of your own units present as well.

If you are activating the Polish army as part of 'Poland Fights Back' (Phase 12) it fights alone - although any of your units left in the region should already have had a defensive role during the Enemies Attack (Phase 11) when the enemy cubes invaded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I'm just curious if this is in the rules somewhere and I missed it, or if it's one of the seemingly several things the rules assume you intuitively know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are a little 'loose' in places but there is a sentence in the rules covering the use of the Polish Army in Phase 12 - "The Polish army attacks on it's own, not along with any player army units in the region." - which is pretty clear.

As for campaigning using the Polish Army, the rules do say "....you can force the Polish army to join in with your attack". There is nothing explicitly stating that you have to have your own units involved in the attack but the rule does strongly imply this.

The most vague bit of the rules is how you handle enemy cubes expanding into a region in 'Phase 13', where the rules just say "The rules governing these expansions are the same as those governing the initial attacks, as described in the Enemies Attack section." It took us a couple of plays to pick up on this so that any remaining player armies got another defensive shot during 'Enemies Expand'.

It is a great game though - worth pushing through the few rule ambiguities and fiddliness around dealing with the Ottoman/Hapsburgs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I don't know how I would ever have learned to play this game correctly without BGG. There are two mistakes in the examples and various omissions such as this one and the rule that Ottomans that invaded the Habsburgs in Turn 3 are reduced to two cubes at the end of the turn. I think I've got it now, but Martin really should consider hiring independent rules proofreaders in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael West
Lithuania
Vilnius r.
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK.. Just played this once as well. In terms of artillery. If the polish army fights with you, can your artillery support their forces and vice versa?

I assume so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
michaelwest777 wrote:
OK.. Just played this once as well. In terms of artillery. If the polish army fights with you, can your artillery support their forces and vice versa?

I assume so.

We have always played that does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.