Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Short version:
Do both players need to spend Movement when using this card and if so, what are the rules for doing so?

Long version:
I used Relationships for the first time in a recent play and I have a query about Members of the Book Club. The Relationship says that when one player uses a Tome, the related player can also attempt to use the same Tome. I interpreted this as the other player makes the same Skill Check and gets the same benefits and penalties, but they don't need to pay the Movement cost (as it is not their turn).

Upon trying to research if this is correct, I'm finding a lot of conflicting posts, with no clear consensus on whether the related player needs to spend Movement or not.

To me, the Movement cost is what you pay to use the Tome, not part of the action of using the Tome. Thus, only the owner of the Tome spends the Movement, and the partner then gets to use it as well if they wish.

It is also very difficult to determine what spending Movement means when it is not your turn. Are there any other affects that allow investigators to spend Movement outside of their own turns? If there aren't, then it seems very confusing that this one card would be the only thing to do so.

So, is there any official viewpoint or group consensus on how this card is meant to work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue 80
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. Gut feeling would be that both players have to spend the movement points, but then what if the tome was owned by a player later in the turn order? That alone would suggest that the other member of the relationship does not have to expend movement points. I'd very much like to hear others' views.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My completely unofficial response, and the ruling in use at our table, is that the player whose turn it is pays the movement; the other just makes any skill checks and suffers any penalties, as well as reaping rewards.

We felt that any other interpretation led to cumbersome and unclear new rules on movement; no such rules being provided, it seems the simpler explanation is the intended manner of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My ruling at the table mirrors Radulla's ~ there's no reason to assume that the other player will have the Movement points to spend, etc. They get a free pass on using the Tome...whether it works or not is another story, but it is a nice Relationship card. Some are very good and some hardly ever come into play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like we are all generally siding on not requiring both players to spend Movement. Thanks for the thoughts, everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The simplest answer is that the partner does not spend movement points, because it is not their movement turn. It would be a bit too complicated to justify what's going on on their side.

However, it is imperative that the tome is discarded if either partner successfully reads it! Otherwise, the owner could simply gouge his Lore and keep failing, allowing the partner to continue reading it indefinitely. Just an extra heads-up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, while researching the previous threads, I did note the consensus on discarding, along with the reasoning involved. Of course, just to be exact, that's only for Tomes with a discard effect, though. E.g., Illuminated Manusript doesn't have to be discarded if both partners decide to take a Clue, and you never need to discard the Necronomicon.

And for those Tomes that collect tokens before being discarded (e.g., Book of Dzyan), I assume we would place two tokens (then discard if the total meets or exceeds the needed amount) if both partners are successful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hoffman
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is what we do for this relationship card which is to follow the key word "immediately."

Immediately following the attempt (either pass or fail) on the use of the Tome, the other partner may attempt the same Tome even if it was exhausted or discarded. Movement points is whatever your current Speed is at plus any bonuses.

The partner does not wait for his turn. He reads the Tome as soon as his partner does.

When it is the partner's turn, he receives his Movement points as normal. They are not "used" if benefitting from the Relationship card.

Also, the card says "the other [partner] may immediately attempt" which tells me that the second partner must also attempt (i.e. have enough movement points, make a skill check, etc). It the second partner was to get a free use, then card would not say to attempt the tome. Rather, the card would say something along the lines of "the other [partner] may immediately use the benefits."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hoffman
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamemaster wrote:
Here is what we do for this relationship card which is to follow the key word "immediately."

Immediately following the attempt (either pass or fail) on the use of the Tome, the other partner may attempt the same Tome even if it was exhausted or discarded. Movement points is whatever your current Speed is at plus any bonuses.

The partner does not wait for his turn. He reads the Tome as soon as his partner does.

When it is the partner's turn, he receives his Movement points as normal. They are not "used" if benefitting from the Relationship card.

Also, the card says "the other [partner] may immediately attempt" which tells me that the second partner must also attempt (i.e. have enough movement points, make a skill check, etc). It the second partner was to get a free use, then card would not say to attempt the tome. Rather, the card would say something along the lines of "the other [partner] may immediately use the benefits."

Yes, I am quoting myself. After playtesting this, I agree that movement points are not required for the partner attempting the tome. The skill check still remains, of course.

Also, "attempt" means utilizing a skill check to successfully read the tome. The Members of the Book Club relationship would not give both partners the same "always on" effect. For example, if one partner has The Book of the Dead, the other partner would not automatically reap the benefits (collecting Endless trophies in this case).

Or would they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The MotBC relationship card says it triggers "immediately". The other partner wouldn't be claiming an Endless trophy at the same time, so only the physical possessor of the book could use that power.

However, let's say the partners were each casting a spell during Upkeep; I could see them both using a copy of Dusty Manuscripts for a +! to each's spell checks.

- Edit... corrected by One Who Knows... see below -

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Attempt to use" a tome means to make a skill check. Tomes that don't require skill checks to attempt to read won't apply to MotBC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.