Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my fouth bomber in this online campaign. I started back in January 2005 and we are currently in the third campaign of 25 missions. We are on mission 58 for the group. This mission is "Wrath of the Lamb's" first mission. Please read and enjoy!!

Crew
Bombadier_______2nd Lt.Larry Furtado____Martinsville IN
Navigator_______2nd lt.Joshua Beale_____Standish MI
Pilot___________2nd lt.Robert Witten____Loraine IL
Copilot_________2nd lt.John Cribb_______New Paris IN
Engineer________Msgt.James Aaron________Conway AR
Radio Opperator_TSgt.Terry Wetzel_______National City IL
Ball Gunner_____Sgt.Eugene Kennard______Odum GA
Port Waist______Sgt.Patrick Culler______Ashby MN
Sarboard Waist__Sgt.Anthony Shannon_____Bridgehampton NY
Tail Gunner_____Sgt.Roger Swearingen____Wendover UT

Aircraft Name:
Wrath of the Lamb [B-17G-20-AL 42-19191]

Felling grateful we weren’t assigned to the 800th BG (H), as they were going deep into Germany today. With a short hop in front of us, we had an air of confidence. Maybe too much.

Takeoff and assembly went well for our first mission. We slotted in behind Belle of the Brawl at the assigned rendezvous point. We headed into France without seeing any enemy aircraft. As we approached the target five Focke-Wulf 190’s jumped us. Lieut. Furtado shot down an enemy fighter that was approaching from the 12 O’clock high position. While all other gun positions shot but missed their targets. Being our first encounter with the German Air Defense, I feel we did well. Two German fighters were able to shoot true and place 20mm and 7.32mm rounds in our ship. All shots were to our wings, with most going to the Port Wing. Most of the damage was superficial, yet one round hit the hinge of the Starboard Aileron, separating it from the wing. On the Germen fighters successive attack one, we believe an Ace, chew up the nose section. This hit lightly wounded 2nd Lieutenant Joshua in the lower right arm and it also killed our bombardier 2nd Lieutenant Larry Furtado, hitting him in the neck. On this Aces third attack Sgt. Swearingen put a long burst into the Germans engine cowling causing him to miss. Sgt. Kennard, in the Ball Turret, witnessed this Germans engine trailing smoke as he dove for a lower cloudbank.

Thank the Lord there was no flak over the target. Lieut. Beale, our Navigator, did his best to attempt a drop of our bombs, but alas he was wide of the target and missed the airfield completely. As we turned from the target and reassembled into formation we saw three Me.109’s lining up to attack us. These Germans must have been greener than we are, as they passed too near the “Silver Lining”, giving her great shots at them. Realizing their miss calculation the Germans broke off their attack and left to reform and attack other bombing squadrons.

As we saw the coast of England a lone Me.109 executed a Vertical Dive attack on us. MSgt. Aaron and TSgt. Wetzel got off a few quick shots on this fighter, but both missed. To our favor, the German also missed. This was the last of the enemy activity for this trip.

Losing a member of our crew is tough, but not knowing him that well disturbs me even more. We just met four weeks ago and training has taken all our time, not much to get close to these guys. I I’m to lead these men into combat, I’ll have to make a better effort to know them.

Claims:
2nd. L.Furtado 1-FW190 Destroyed
Sgt. R.Swearingen 1-FW190 Probable

Crew Status:
2nd Lt. Larry Furtado KIA to Neck
2nd Lt. Joshua Beale LW to lower right arm

Replacement:
2nd Lt. Rodney (Rod) Whittmore

Respectfully,
Lieutenant Robert Witten
“Wrath of the Lamb”
402nd BS, 400th BG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.