GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,409 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Chris
Germany
flag msg tools
Nanoks Heroic Ability is:

Quote:
If you do not have any armor equipped, each of your attacks gain 1 surge.

Now my question is: Is he allowed to wear a cloak, without losing his heroic ability?

I would argue yes, because:

"Leather Armor" and Demonhide Leather" are both considered "Light Armor" and "Scalemail", "Chainmail" and "Platemail" are classified "Heavy Armor", "Inscribed Robes", "Heavy Cloak" and "Elven Cloak" are all classified simply as "Cloak".

One could argue that all Items which are of category "Chest" (indicated by an armor-like symbol) are considered to be armor but I'd rather go with the first argument because you also have a lot of items of the category "Accessory" (actually having a "Ring" symbol), while only a few of them are considered to be a ring, and others are boots, helmets or simply runes or an item of Category "Hand" is not necessarily a weapon but might as well be a shield.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a quite tricky question.

There seems to be overlapping between the slot names (Hands, Armor, Other) and equipment keywords (Bow, Blade, Cloak, Heavy Armor, Light Armor, Trinket, Rune, Magic, ...).

My opinion is that cards and powers always refer to keywords (for example, Chainmail and Platemail forbid Runes).
That said, I think that Light Armor and Heavy Armor both suppress Nanok's Heroic Ability, but a Cloak doesn't.

---

Another argument is that the keyword Armor does not actually exist ("Heavy Armor" and "Light Armor" being two atomic keywords), and so it must be considered as a slot name, thus causing the cloaks to suppress Nanok's ability.

---

I personally prefer the first interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know. Page 11 of the rule book shows the symbol that is on the cloaks, etc. and defines it as Armor. I would say that if he had a cloak equipped that would negate his ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mustardayonnaiz wrote:
I don't know. Page 11 of the rule book shows the symbol that is on the cloaks, etc. and defines it as Armor. I would say that if he had a cloak equipped that would negate his ability.

Yeah. I recall asking the same question as the OP a while ago, and the general consensus seemed to be that anything that goes in the armor slot is armor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
mustardayonnaiz wrote:

Can't argue with that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Germany
flag msg tools
minksling wrote:
mustardayonnaiz wrote:

Can't argue with that

Well, ( unfortunately as I'm currently playing Nanok ) that pretty much answered my question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lolololage
msg tools
He's one of, if not the best hero in the game. I'm sure you can live without a cloak!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.