GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,456 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Donating Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Pasquantonio
United States
Millis
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, all. I'm looking to winnow down my game collection, and would like to find someplace worthwhile to donate a bunch of gently used gamer's games.

I have a few local thrift shops, but any games beyond basic roll-and-move games just sit there. I offered to give the games to a local toy/game store - he'd get to sell them for whatever he wanted, as long as he had the space to set up a used section - but he lost his lease before we could get it rolling.

I was too late to get things together for the Tom Vasel auction last time around, but that's the sort of thing I'm looking for.

I'm not looking to make any money on this - in fact, if there's a place that would accept the games, I'd pay to ship them there. I'm thinking maybe military bases -- I'm sure they've got their fair share of gamers there -- or some kind of charity auction (someplace where I can just ship the stuff off, clear out the space, and feel like I did something good with the games I'm not playing).

I don't have a list yet, but this could end up being 40-50 BGG-type games, not kid games. I only want to keep what I'm actually playing, not what I've overbought or took on when a few friends got out of gaming.

I'd appreciate any suggestions -- my answer could be buried in a forum someplace, but "donations" seems to be coming up with people wanting to get avatars, or other discussions not related to this. Thanks!

Dave P.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
mbmbmbmbmb
dpasq wrote:
Hey, all. I'm looking to winnow down my game collection, and would like to find someplace worthwhile to donate a bunch of gently used gamer's games.

I have a few local thrift shops, but any games beyond basic roll-and-move games just sit there. I offered to give the games to a local toy/game store - he'd get to sell them for whatever he wanted, as long as he had the space to set up a used section - but he lost his lease before we could get it rolling.

I was too late to get things together for the Tom Vasel auction last time around, but that's the sort of thing I'm looking for.

I'm not looking to make any money on this - in fact, if there's a place that would accept the games, I'd pay to ship them there. I'm thinking maybe military bases -- I'm sure they've got their fair share of gamers there -- or some kind of charity auction (someplace where I can just ship the stuff off, clear out the space, and feel like I did something good with the games I'm not playing).

I don't have a list yet, but this could end up being 40-50 BGG-type games, not kid games. I only want to keep what I'm actually playing, not what I've overbought or took on when a few friends got out of gaming.

I'd appreciate any suggestions -- my answer could be buried in a forum someplace, but "donations" seems to be coming up with people wanting to get avatars, or other discussions not related to this. Thanks!

Dave P.

I'll happily drive to your house and take them off your hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Things that come to mind:

- local fire department(s). (those guys have run long/late downtime hours)
- college gamerooms
- children's hospitals / Ronald McDonald house
- Military bases / military care packages
- run a contest with prizes (art, storywriting, etc.) This will help whittle down to interested parties
- run your own charity auction. put the lot or lots up for sale with all money going to a charity of your choice. (or the choice of the highest bidder)
- you could donate them to thechive.com to use as charity auction fodder for one of their frequent fundraisers (helping injured vets, cancer victims, etc.)
- local coffee houses (not Starbucks, mind you, but local versions sometimes have game areas)
- Boyscouts / Girlscouts
- random act of kindness threads =) http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1001868/act-of-random-ki...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
hatemachine wrote:
dpasq wrote:

Dave P.

I'll happily drive to your house and take them off your hands.

Ditto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Couldn't you just box them all up and send them to Tom?

Or does he not run any part of the auction himself?

I'd expect for the likely return he'd be able to pay shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
**CLOSED** Cici's Moving Auction (Special Needs Trust) **CLOSED**
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United Kingdom
Epping
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daesthai wrote:

- run your own charity auction. put the lot or lots up for sale with all money going to a charity of your choice. (or the choice of the highest bidder)

This seems by far the best option to me. The trouble with donating them to a military base or fire station is that they might get used or they might just sit there forever gathering dust before eventually getting thrown away. If you do a charity auction, you guarantee that:

a) The games go to the people who most want them and will actually use them and
b) The money goes to a good cause

If you want to involve the community even more, maybe take nominations for the recipient charity and then run a poll for which one should get the money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.