GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,459 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Brass: Lancashire» Forums » News

Subject: Possible downtime of website this month rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Eve
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
My host for brass.orderofthehammer.com has notified me that sometime this month, my site is going to be transferred to a new server. While the transfer is automated, past experience has indicated that there are some things that are not automatically transferred across. For this reason, when the transfer happens, I expect the site to stop working. Unfortunately, I do not know in any detail when the transfer is going to be, only that it is happening during July. I will do my best to keep an eye on the site and correct the omissions when I notice that it has failed.

The fixes that I expect to need to apply after the transfer are straightforward, it is only the fact that (based on past experience) they will not be applied automatically by the host's automated software that means that there will be a problem. If I could devote more time, I'd write a script to occasionally check and correct for the missing data, but unfortunately I can't devote the time for that. I apologise, and thank you for your patience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammerite wrote:
While the transfer is automated, past experience has indicated that there are some things that are not automatically transferred across.

way back when I had a site hosted at virtualave.net ... they got bought out I think and my site was transfered to a new server and get this...

... they only transfered the contents of the public_html tree! all site's data I had in public_html's parent directory for security reasons... luckily I had a backup (since after xfer I no longer had access to old server) and found a new host.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Would that owners of companies that expect us to pay for their services were as conscientious as the people who run free ones out of the kindness of their heart. Thanks for the heads up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Eve
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I was under the impression that I wouldn't be told when the migration would happen, but happily I have now been told that it is scheduled for early Thursday morning (Wednesday 17th at 8pm CST). The site will be down only briefly I expect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.