Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J&B n/a
United States
Unspecified
Georgia
flag msg tools
Hi all,

We’ve really been enjoying Runebound a lot and especially the expansion decks, which gives it such replay value as well as new potential. It seems quite possible to create many new alternative components for optional rules and end game scenarios.

We had a suggestion of what else we’d like to see in the future:

Create a set of special hexagonal counters that at the set up would replace the red adventure counters on the board entirely covering their hex. These secret “Places of Power” would have images of special mystic or hidden locations (tombs, crypts, ruins, towers, keeps, temples, shrines, citadels, caves, catacombs, labyrinths, etc., etc.). These could be used in all manner of new game variations.

For example:

Upon entering the hex of a Place of Power the player would be able to draw first from a new deck of special Terrain cards. These would be a challenge or encounter with an “outdoor” theme reflecting unique “terrain” features (marsh, dunes, crevice, cliffs, elder woods, molten lake, tar pits, muck, tundra, misty pond, thorn forest, hidden mountain, etc.). If the player passes the test on the card they have explored the location and “discovered” the hidden location of the Place of Power there. They would turn over and reveal the previously unknown hexagonal location counter.

On their next turn (if they remain there) the player can then draw from a deck of special “Location” cards. These would be a special challenge or encounter with an “indoor” theme and a test reflecting unique “underground” features (various dungeon traps, skill tests puzzles, bridges, pits, coffins, chests, and classic dungeon or cave creatures, etc.). Some of these cards would have as their reward the obtaining of a special “Jewel Rune” quest token.

When the player has collected a certain number of these quest tokens they must return to Talamir with them to be declared ruler of the land and win the game. Alternatively, in cooperative play, as a fellowship all players must return a set number of the “Jewel Runes” in order to solve a quest and lift a great curse from the land. (We like cooperative play).

Alternatively:

Each of the Places of Power hex counters would have its own small deck of just 5 cards, each would have to be defeated (one per turn) in order to gain the quest token for that location. These five cards would have challenges, encounters, and skill tests reflecting the nature of the place and its terrain, both above ground and below. Some of these location cards might also have “challenge themes” stressing ranged or melee or magic combat as well as test several times a specific skill. Upon successfully defeating all five cards the player would then draw one card from a new special deck of Treasures ---a new assortment of especially unique and powerful items keyed for use against the cards for the Places of Power.

Alternatively:

There could be new green, yellow, and blue cards that give as part of their reward a “Clue Token” providing the location of one Place of Power. The player would place their clue token on any one of location choice and only then could they then enter and explore that hex and draw its related cards. Otherwise, they could only move through the hex but not yet explore it.

Players might also become trapped for a turn at a Place of Power location, or return to there to take advantage of special healing or acquisition of skills or market items.

As a truly unique cooperative play end game (we really like more cooperative play in Runebound) we would also like to see a challenge card so powerful that it takes more than one player to defeat it, such that its variable strength is dependent upon the number of players facing it, such as receiving +1 to its attributes for every player it faces or having lives equal to the combined lives of the players.

At the very least:

Finally, this new Place of Power location counter concept might be produced as an expansion that simply came with a single specific card for each Place of Power reflecting a unique combination terrain and underground challenge deck, along with a new deck of Treasures. They could then be incorporated directly into the existing game as just a rule modifying. Certain treasures themselves could even be labeled as “Jewel Runes” to allow for the option of that element.

Obviously, this idea is much more than just another expansion deck of cards yet much less than a whole new setting or board. It’s about new counters with just a few new cards.

Also, as a graphic designer and published writer with some professional game development experience, we might even attemtp this ourselves.

B&J
Atlanta

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's funny, I was recently thinking of something very similar myself. More along the lines of the 2nd version of your idea. I think these are all potentially great additions to the game (I especially like the 1st & 2nd versions). One possible option for the 1st version is to have the card either be "exit" cards (i.e. when you complete their challenge you can leave the location) or "continue" cards which force to you draw another card next turn.

It would be great if FFG produces something like that. However, if you decide to do it yourself, I'd certainly love to see the results (unfortunatley I have no art skills to contribute).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirek W
Poland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Yes, runebound is great system, flexible and with many possibilities to play, i'd like to point location deck powerpoint file (actually for 1st ed, but i've got 2nd ed too which can help with radom and secret destibuting places of power locations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J&B n/a
United States
Unspecified
Georgia
flag msg tools
Thanks for the comments.

I may start drafting some samples soon.
I emailed FFG on this but was ignored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.