Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Brands
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
A Dr. Quest Design

What is the court of King Arthur without King Rather himself – and his beloved Queen Guinevere?! This fan expansion adds both – and more.

This expansion includes four new role cards. I am simply posting these for whomever wishes to explore this further. As I’m not a graphic designer, I have no layout or art for these cards.

Use any of these new cards, using each instead of one other card for the same force.

Add steps as necessary during the opening game reveal phase, to identify whom is known to each role below.

Arthur
Forces of Arthur
Knows Percival

Guinevere
Forces of Arthur
Knows Morgana

Page
Forces of Mordrid
Knows Arthur

Chamber Maid
Forces of Mordrid
Knows Guinevere

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brands
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Re: Avalon: Royal Chambers -- Fan Expansion, v. 1.1
Explanation. Upon doing a little more math, regarding whom all is known to whom, some may feel that if Guinevere knows Morgana, that will draw the attention of too many other players to the player playing Morgana. For my part, that sounds intriguing. But if some find that not to their taste, I include an alternate Guinevere card below, which givers her knowledge of the Assassin instead. This adds the factor that since which Guinevere card is to be used will be selected randomly, even if she is in the game, only she will know whether she knows Morgana or the Assassin.

- - -

What is the court of King Arthur without King Rather himself – and his beloved Queen Guinevere?! This fan expansion adds both – and more.

This expansion includes four new role cards. I am simply posting these for whomever wishes to explore this further. As I’m not a graphic designer, I have no layout or art for these cards.

Use any of these new cards, using each instead of one other card for the same force.
Special Note: Use only one of the Guinevere cards (A or B) – but this should be selected randomly as with other roles, so only Guinevere will know what specific knowledge she possesses.

Add steps as necessary during the opening game reveal phase, to identify whom is known to each role below. For Guinevere, you will have to add two steps: First, the Assassin reveals and Guinevere is allowed to know him, if (and only if) she has that ability; second, Morgana reveals and Guinevere is allowed to know her, if (and only if) she has that ability

Arthur
Forces of Arthur
Knows Percival

Guinevere – option A
Forces of Arthur
Knows Morgana

Guinevere – option B
Forces of Arthur
Knows the Assassin

Page
Forces of Mordrid
Knows Arthur

Chamber Maid
Forces of Mordrid
Knows Guinevere

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Guinevere seems like a terrible idea. Aside from ruling herself out as a potential Merlin, there's no downside for her revealing her identity, and Morgana's, which in turn is a huge help for the good guys because now Percival knows who Merlin is, and also knows who another good person is.

You can't even bluff Guinevere, because there's no reason for the real Guinevere to lie, and if you point at someone who Percival didn't see then he'll know you're lying.

Also, it just seems wrong to have Guinevere not have some interaction with Lancelot... Which gives me an idea (that I'll post in a new thread so as not to hijack yours).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karina T
msg tools
where can I buy this game from? I've wanted this for ages and I can't find it anywhere!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Avalon? Or this fan expansion? You'd need to make the fan expansion yourself. Avalon shouldn't be too difficult to find. It available from amazon in the UK and there are plenty of copies in the BGG marketplace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karina T
msg tools
Thanks so much! How would I make it myself without the cards looking different to the originals? Are there base cards with nothing on them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 7 evil & 7 good characters of which 3 evil and 5 good are not special characters. You could either designate specific cards to be certain characters (e.g. Arthur is the guy on the left, and Guinevere bottom left) - there aren't obvious cards to use for Page & Chamber Maid though. The other option is if you use card sleeves* then you can add slip of paper to certain cards for the variant roles. If you use opaque (colour backed) card sleeves then you can make extra cards and not worry what the backs look like.

* Which I would recommend you do as marked cards would ruin the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karina T
msg tools
wonderful! thanks so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Steel
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
i agree Michael Guinevere is too over powered my idea for an expansion was that we add king aurther as sort of an after the game effect like assassin this wil make assassin more relevant too so the way he would work is in the case that all evil guys win he flips his card and must pick out Mordred everyone can discuss but evil and good are keeping their cards down at this point if he successful picks out Mordred then assassin does her this and has an opportunity to steal the game back. So if Merlin is very obvious when picking out Mordred he can be caught. Say that good guys win by three successful missions then assassin flips and discusses with everyone who Merlin is with everyone role but her own not revealed (she knows who bad guys are so she knows who to listen to) if she assassinates Merlin then king Arthur can do his thing but Merlin is not aloud to say anything (since hes dead) and if he can pick out Mordred good guys steal it back it should be easier since assassin is already out and some bad guys had discussed about Merlin (a good Mordred would be very quiet or subtle when assassin is choosing Merlin)

now the only problem with this is if Oberon is involved then assassin will not know if Oberon can be trusted when discussing Merlin's identity further making him an even bigger handicap so i recommend leaving him out in the games with Arthur

the next card i wanted to add in was sir Gawain and his ability at the end of the game when good guys win he has the option to flip his role before assassin gets to assassinate or even flip her card he gets to choice to shield someone so he would put his card on top of someone else and that card can't be assassinate then assassin can pick anyone but the person Gawain is shielding to assassinate it makes it easier for them to pick since two guys are off the table to pick but if Gawain shielded anyone other than Merlin good guys made it easier for evil so Percival can be screwing over his own team if Gawain picks him also if by some chance he picks a bad guy to shield its even worse for him cause king Arthur wouldn't be able to pick that guys if needed

so what do you guys think too complicated to unbalanced im working on some art for it but i always felt the game needed more special good guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The King Arthur thing sounds like it might work - though it'd need at lest 7 players and in the scenario where Arthur is trying to pick out Mordred after a successful assassination he'll have a 1 in 2 chance with 7-9 players and 1 in 3 chance with 10 players which seems a little high. In fact there might sometimes be a scenario where it's worth Merlin claiming his role prior to assassination if he was certain he knew who Mordred was.

The King Arthur thing sounds a little like the Hunter module from The Resistance: Hostile Intent - you could re-theme that for Avalon and include King Arthur perhaps? Though you would need extra missing cards.

With Sir Gawain - would the ability be mandatory? If not then I think I'd probably remain hidden as if I'm wrong I'm massively increasing the chance of a successful assassination.

Wait - surely the logical thing is for Merlin to claim his role at the start of the game knowing Sir Gawain can protect him? If an evil player counter claims then it will almost certainly be obvious who the real Merlin is after a couple of rounds... "What if people start claiming roles?" is always a question to ask when creating custom roles!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
draxpho wrote:
I always felt the game needed more special good guys

I know what you mean, but I think the problem is creating more roles that:

1. Don't give the good guys too much information.
2. Don't reduce the pool of possible Merlin suspects (which is less of a problem with more players).
3. Don't cause information overload, make the reveal phase too long or make the game far more random.
4. Ideally aren't dependant on too many other roles.
5. Do something interesting.

There are some official roles from The Resistance: Hidden Agenda & Hostile Intent that might work in an Avalon game...

Reverser Module - either just add the blue reverser, or add both possibly combining the red reverser with another role (requires extra mission cards)
Rogue - add just the blue rouge (requires extra mission cards)

Deep Agent - does not know spies (but known by spies) - I'd Oberon with this role, he puts his thumb up in the spy reveal.
Pretender - appears as Deep Agent (obviously reduces the Merlin suspects s)

And there's the Lancelots of course - but these are a pair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Steel
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
yeah I guess what i meant by special good guys was that i wanted a mechanic that could steal the game at the end like assassin i always felt that losing a game cuz an assassin got a bit lucky with guessing Merlin was a bit anti climatic when you finished the 5th mission by figuring out all of the bad guys this is even worse with less players it's not that fun good guys need to play their roles really good to win if you have a bad Merlin or Percival it costs the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.