Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: The "Hothie's Ugly" Tournament rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Kinney

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
A friend of mine is making me a couple of Uglies, and I am putting them up as prize support for a tournament that I will be holding.

The tournament will be held Saturday, August 31st (the Saturday of Labor Day weekend) at noon at Jay's CD and Hobby in Des Moines, IA.

3315 SE 14th St
http://jayscdandhobby.com/

The tournament will be Pirate Rules:

1. No unique ship or upgrade cards, including Squad leader or Rebel Captive
2. No faction restrictions
3. No more than 1 of each ship type (X-wing, etc) in your squad. So you may bring 1 Bounty Hunter, but leave the other 2 at home.
4. Rounds will be Swiss-style, then cutting to a top 2 or 4 depending on how many show.
5. 100 point squads, 75 minute rounds.
6 All other normal FFG tournament rules will apply.

Entry fee will be $5, which will go towards prize support. Prizes will include the Uglies pictured above, as well as new expansions from each Wave, Jays CD and Hobby gift cards, and other assorted goods. There will be a prize for last place. Winner gets first choice, and so on down the line.

This event is open to the public, which is why I'm posting here, in case you would like to try and attend. I've received confirmations from Illinois, Missouri, Minnesota, and Nebraska, as well as Iowa, so far. So this will hopefully be an epic tournament. If you are traveling, my wife's family usually stays at the Ankeny Best Western (and I don't get any money from them, just pointing it out.) I understand that people often have plans, so I'm putting this out now in case you don't and would like to attend. And I understand that this will be 2 weeks after Gencon, so there may not be money in the travel budget. But hopefully you can come, and if there are others in your gaming group that would like to attend, mention it to them. The more the merrier!

Hope to see you there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Assuming I don't have to work that weekend, I'll try to make it up there from Kansas City.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kinney

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Sweet, Ricky White (kelvan) is coming from there, too. Maybe you can carpool or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
hothie wrote:
Sweet, Ricky White (kelvan) is coming from there, too. Maybe you can carpool or something.

Heh, we probably will.

I've already got a couple of squad ideas. Should be really fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Woodworth
Japan
flag msg tools
wish I could be there,

I would probably fly a fun squad like this

Interceptor, Advanced, A-wing, x-wing, y-wing + ion.

maybe drop something for missiles, or add-ons... maybe not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kinney

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
I debated putting in the "only 1 of each ship type" restriction in there, because the people that are showing up aren't the type of people who would run X3 Bounty Hunters or X3 Nova w/HLC and FCS. They are people who would run fun squads of ships with both factions. But that doesn't mean there wouldn't be someone else showing up trying to run a squad like that, so unfortunately I felt it necessary to put that restriction in there. And Wave 3 will (hopefully) be out by then, so that opens up more possibilities for squad building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He's not George Clooney or something, but calling Hothie "ugly" is a bit much...not to mention rude.

Oh wait...I get it. Possessive not contraction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kinney

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, it reads both ways, which is why it's funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sound's great -- have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jed Lin
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone one interested in making this Uglies?

X-TIE fighter

Z-'Ceptor

Corellian/B-wing Ugly

information from → http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ugly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I rather like the look of the Z-Ceptor, I've not seen that one before. Thanks. Not only does it look kind of neat, it also almost makes sense (ie, it's not entirely lacking engines or over-engined like some of the more standard uglies).

Sounds like a fun event, and the restrictions will make for some interesting squads.

I'd expect to see a lot of Bounty Hunters and a lot of Saber Squadron Pilots with Push/Vet Instincts.

Or, the "Big 3"
-Bounty Hunter w/ Anti-Pursuit
-Outer Rim Smuggler w/ Anti-Pursuit
-Lambda Shuttle w/ Anti-Pursuit
then add an Academy or (Gunner/Gunner/Mine) or other upgrades to taste
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love how the Z-'Ceptor has a droid mounted on the nose. It's got quite the arsenal, too: standard blasters, wing-mounted blasters (from the Interceptor), turret...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kinney

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:

Sounds like a fun event, and the restrictions will make for some interesting squads.

I'd expect to see a lot of Bounty Hunters and a lot of Saber Squadron Pilots with Push/Vet Instincts.

Or, the "Big 3"
-Bounty Hunter w/ Anti-Pursuit
-Outer Rim Smuggler w/ Anti-Pursuit
-Lambda Shuttle w/ Anti-Pursuit
then add an Academy or (Gunner/Gunner/Mine) or other upgrades to taste

Even with the restrictions, there is still a wide range of squads that can be run and run well. I do expect to see Bounty Hunters, but you can only have 1 in your squad, so do you trick it out or do you bring more ships? Do you put Veteran Instincts on a Saber, or PtL? There are many options available.

I'm just as interested as everyone else to see what people bring for this tournament. The people that are coming are fun, and the competition level will be high, so it should make for a fun day. Wish you all could be here as well, but we'll see most of you either next month at Gencon or in November at Worlds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kinney

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, I met a lot of people this past weekend at Gencon who are interested in coming, so I figured I'd bump this to get it back into the public's consciousness again.

And I have been thinking about it, and I am going to allow Wave 3 ships and upgrades (just not uniques) in this tournament. I looked at it this way: this game is so balanced that a pure Wave 1 list just won the North American Championship tournament. Plus pirates from different areas will have access to different ships. You just better be good at flying what you bring. Plus it will add to the variety of what people bring, and diversity of squads is a good thing. Besides, it's pirate rules and it's my tournament. Mutineers will be forced out of the airlock...

Also, I have kept some of my Gencon Wave 3 stuff boxed up, so there WILL be at least 1 Wave 3 ship as prize support as well even if they are not available to the general public yet. And since I am having a number of boosters as prize support, I may up the ante to $10 for an entry fee. Sorry, but I think all of the prize support will definitely make it worth the trip.

Hope to see you there! []
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Curtiss
United States
Wellman
IA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So bummed that I couldn't make it like I planed. Just wondering if I could get a quick report of how it went. What ship list won? Were ther alot of different list or mostly the same? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kinney

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
The bad news: absolutely no one showed.

The good news, I got to keep all of my unopened ships, uglies, and other goodies I had as prize support.

Yeah, I was kinda bummed. But oh well. Bad timing, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Curtiss
United States
Wellman
IA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow that stinks. I had my list all put together Friday night and then woke up with the flu.gulp

Had kids fighting it all week, knew it was my turn soon.

Oh well, do you have a group that normally plays that way? Might make a trip over sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kinney

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
We usually play on Sundays at around noon at Mayhem in Ames. We usually just play whatever we feel like playing, so I'm sure you could get someone to play a Pirate game with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
hothie wrote:

The good news, I got to keep all of my unopened ships, uglies, and other goodies I had as prize support.

I would have loved to be there, but it was too much of a drive given the fact that my semester starts... tomorrow. gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sozin sky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry dude! It was a awesome conception.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kinney

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks guys. Maybe I'll try something later when life won't get in the way as much for people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Neutron
msg tools
mbmb
hothie wrote:

I'd like to "third" the fact that this was an excellent idea all around! I'd have killed for a chance at any of your prizes, and it sounded like a really good idea for a "themed" tournament. But, I live in Japan, so my interaction with y'all remains strictly virtual.

Folks like you are what make this community great. Don't get discouraged if no one shows up the first time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kinney

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Domo arigato gozaimasu.

I was discouraged because I had a lot of locals who said they were coming, but didn't. It makes me glad that others who had planned on traveling didn't come, because I would hate to have 1 or 2 guys drive a long way just to show up and be the only ones there. I mean, it's a great store, don't get me wrong, but hardly worth the drive for a few games of Xwing. So, I'm glad that people didn't show for that reason.

Maybe I'll try something else sometime when more people can make it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
I love how the Z-'Ceptor has a droid mounted on the nose. It's got quite the arsenal, too: standard blasters, wing-mounted blasters (from the Interceptor), turret...

That droid looks like it is part of the fighter. Not just mounted there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.