United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
For my first game, I was dracula (I'm always the sucker who reads the rules!) against three hunters. One player played both Mina and van Helsing. The hunters started spread out, as I told them they ought to, and I started right in the middle, Zurich or Geneva or something. The hunters buzzed about during the first day, picking up items, laughing at all the stakes they got (unbeknownst to me, of course), assuming they were useless weapons.

Night fell and I pounced! Not having carefully looked at all the cards and items, I naturally assumed that the night was my time to dominate. Wrong. I also assumed that just tackling the nearest hunter was fine. Wrong when it's Lord Godalming, his two dice, and his 12 health. We were both fairly well battered when the combat ended, but this plays better for the hunters, of course. Before the night was out, I was again jumped by Dr. Seward who had two stakes (and two very lucky combat rolls!)... Struck twice, I now found myself in a most inauspicious situation: surrounded by hunters at dawn, and only five health remaining! (curse those accursed stakes!) I desperately considered fleeing by sea, but the blood loss was too dangerous, and the "Rufus Smith" ally was out (each sea space costs a blood, rather than every other sea space). I took a deep breath, and played my wolf card, with the "hide" card played on top of it. Everyone thought for sure I had bolted and that they would now have trouble finding me. The hunters began to disperse, until another damn hunters event card revealed that I had not left my space! Only one turn had passed, it was still day, and I was in trouble. My only hope of escape was east through Munich - and Dr. Seward with this two stakes...

The combat was swift, and I was lucky. I vanished and headed east, leaving villanous gypsies and gun toting minions who wounded the doctor mercilessly. But the doctor's resolve was strong: he healed himself four points, cornered me in my very own Castle Dracula, and there I was laid to rest. Until the next time this game leaves my shelf.

Some thoughts on my first game: As Dracula, I was killed in just over two days (about 14-15 turns). Humiliating to say the least. I didn't play encounters well initially, not realizing their full potential (and the only encounter that made it to the end of my trail: I forgot to put it into the catacombs!). Careful use of fog, and having my brides ally in play (my encounter hand is 7, not 5) saved me a few times. And the damn hunter's cards! I NEVER had an invisible trail. I'm not sure what other's experiences are, but only once in about 15 turns did an 'undiscovered' trail card fall off to the left. Part of that, of course, was my foolish attempts to attack the hunters: it was easy for them to find my trail, but part of that was heaps of event cards that gave me away. Those two factors together were crushing. I played two vampire encounters, neither made it past the third or fourth space on my trail.

And of course, the inevitable mis-playing of rules, nearly all of which were in the hunter's favor: In combat, we ignored the bold-italics text: I had no idea how they kept coming at me with the same weapons! I couldn't do anything against them! Also, as items were used up, they went right back into the items deck. My rather unscrupulous opponents would simply reshuffle when the option presented itself (as it does with a number of cards) and voila! More holy water! Another stake!

The long and the short of this is that next game, I let my MINIONS do all the hard work: No attacking myself, unless I have to; I'll just sit back and run and put vampires here and there. And in more careful places. I love the idea of taking a boat to Cagliari, dropping a vampire there, hiding (perhaps fog? I did become a fan of the fog) then setting out to sea again. Or perhaps a lovely trip to Ireland, with the same strategy in mind? Some clear thinking went into designing this board, and it shows. Great, great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Pham
United States
Whittier
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lord Godalming gets only one die against Dracula. He gets two only when fighting agents/minions.

You couldn't have played played the wolf card during daytime, it's only available at night.

Always save a fog for when you need to get away. Hitting a hunter with fog at the city you're in is a good way to waste that last bit of time before nightfall, and it prevents other hunters who are nearby from jumping you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
ROFL. Hilarious, thanks for those tips. My hunter colleagues will be humored to hear that Dracula even cheated with his powers, and they still managed to defeat him quickly and with little trouble (and I will remember that about Lord Godalming!).

I agree about the fog! This is definately a game where Dracula should read up on strategies before venturing out of his castle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Case
United States
Longview
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I love the idea of dropping a fog to cover your escape. However, I was under the impression that if you are in the same location as a hunter, you must attack during your action phase (rather than drop an encounter). Am I mistaken? (Entirely possible, as I have only played once and there were undoubtedly some of the usual misplayed rule situations going on).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
You are correct. But movement comes before action. Where fog becomes useful is when the Hunters know where you are and possibly where you're going.

Here's the scenario: The Hunters through either movement or event find Dracula. We'll assume Dracula survives any ensuing combat. When Dracula moves again, he moves into an empty city and places a fog encounter. Any Hunter who follows Dracula is now trapped there and no Hunters can attack Dracula this round. This gives Dracula another opportunity to lose the Hunters on his next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.