GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,405 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Forlorn Hopes» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Nicholas
United States
California
flag msg tools
I've begun playing Forlorn Hopes, and have generally positive reactions to the concept at least. However, my opponent and I have run across several questions which require answers:

1. The rules tell you that recon missions should be performed before initiative is determined, but in "initiative order." Does this mean that the initiative player from the previous turn gains the advantage here, or am I reading something wrong?

2. The rules mention that Fighters are allowed to Strafe as a form of Bombing Combat, but other than telling you what altitude you must be at, and noting that the capability is denoted by an "S" where the Bombing Factor would be, they don't mention how it works. Adding "S" to a die roll seems counterintuitive, unless you intended for the Bombing Factor to be zero...in which case it would have been good to state this somewhere.

3. The rules suggest that players conceal the contents of air missions until the last possible minute, but don't say how. Is it wise or permissible to simply keep the planes off the map until there's actual combat?

4. Can a bomber formation break up, once one of the planes is damaged? The rules require that a plane expend all of its MP, but if one plane of a formation is slowed down, it would seem logical that the faster plane could abandon its slower, damaged comrade.

5. Either the roll rule is poorly written, or the example is wrong. The rule explains that the plane moves one hex to either side of the plane, but the example has the plane leapfrogging one hex forward and one hex to the side, simultaneously (work out the example on the map if you don't believe me). I'm holding out for the rule being correct and the example being poor/incorrect...

6. Can a B-17 start on the TBB at high altitude? It's mentioned that it can fly at high altitude, but the rules for the Air module say that all bombers must start at medium or low altitude...

Other than that, we're generally enjoying the game. I've sent these questions to your email address, and either I'm getting caught up in a spam filter or you are, because I haven't received a response, so I'm posting them here...

David W. Nicholas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lem Tohver
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi David,

I don't visit the BGG boards that oftne (may twice a month). Here are replies.

1. This should have said "Japanese" and not "Initiative". This correction has been added to the new addenda coming out.

2. Thank you for catching this. The last two sentences of this rule are missing. "Strafing has a BF of 0 and cannot reduce or eliminate ship units. Strafing units do not receive the Bombing at Low altitude modifier."

3. In our games, we held the units off behind our screen between the Airbase displays and then pointed with our finger the route that mission was taking on the map.

4. Bomber units that are on their reduced side do not have a lower SR value. So I don't see a need for breaking them off. Remember that these counters represent a squadron of planes and not just one plane. so the reduced unit really represents the loss of those planes that were damaged in the battle.

5. Please specify what move rule you are discussing here. This would help
me out to clarify this issue.

6. We did not playtest the game allowing this, but I don't see any eason why you could not use this ability as a house rule.

Lembit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Nicholas
United States
California
flag msg tools
Lembit,

Thanks for replying. In question 5, I didn't mean on the strategic board, but the tactical one. When a pair of bomber units fly in formation and only have one "order marker" (the counters with 1, 2, 3, & 4 on them, in red and blue) if one of them is damaged, he'll no doubt be disrupted and lose tactical movement also. I was asking if the undamaged plane has to maintain formation with him, or can leave him and continue on by himself.

I got the answer to the roll rule via email. The plane just moves to one side, not forward one hex also, as the example seems to imply.

Thanks, David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.