Subject: Opfire and activation of available units rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
I know That this has been covered before but humor/bear with me please

I have several units in a leaders command radius, but only one of them has LoS and Range to the moving target.

Can I play the OpFire action to activate all of the units in the Command radius, allowing the activated units to fire as the moving target moves into range through subsequent moves?

Or

Am I only able to activate the units that are within the Range and LoS of the target when the order is being played?

Using the following rules and the pasted snippets:

O20.1 Suspected Targets
For a Fire Order to be announced, at least one
of the activated units (or its Weapon) must
have an enemy unit within both its LOS and
Range.

A33.2 Op Fire Procedure
-play a Fire Action from his hand and activate
one or more units to fire at that hex
(exactly as if he were activating units for a
Fire Order [O14.1 & O20.1]);

O14.1If a Leader is activated
in this manner, it may in turn activate all,
some or none of the friendly non-Leader
units within its Command Radius [3.3.1.1

So I think I can activate as many units within my leader's command radius to perform the OPfire action, as long as at least one of the activated units completes the initial OPfire, the rest are able to act as opportunities to fire present themselves during the remainder of the triggering move order.

I understand that the unit moving is only subject to one opfire attack per hex entered, so I would have to either make solo attacks or firegroups, not multiple singe attacks.

After looking around the forums using the search option, I think I am right, but there is enough doubt that I have to ask.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You are correct in your first assumption.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hedrich
United States
Lehigh Acres
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only other thing to take into consideration is that a firegroup must consist of units in a continuous chain of adjacent hexes. If there are gaps, they won't all be able to opfire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
And remember that once your opponent completes his order, the units that have been activated for OpFire cannot be activated later for another OpFire during that opponent's turn.

But you have it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys,
I was sure I did, just needed a bit of confirmation.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:
And remember that once your opponent completes his order, the units that have been activated for OpFire cannot be activated later for another OpFire during that opponent's turn.

But you have it right.

I've played the game for years and had missed that detail until being corrected by a tourney player recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:
cmontgo2 wrote:

But you have it right.

I've played the game for years and had missed that detail until being corrected by a tourney player recently.

It does add another layer of decision-making . . . is the currently moving unit just a decoy to draw out any of my OpFires, or is this the one I need to stop? Typically, if they activate a leader + units, you need to OpFire it, otherwise, it's a close call. Heroes are particularly nasty at soaking up OpFires.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait... are you guys saying that with ONE op fire card, I can activate a group but have different subsets of them shoot as the target moves I to their respective lines of sight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:
Wait... are you guys saying that with ONE op fire card, I can activate a group but have different subsets of them shoot as the target moves I to their respective lines of sight?

For each hex entered, you get to attack that hex once.
But some units might shoot at one hex entered, then other different units might shoot at the next hex entered, and so on.
A33.2 seems to describe it quite clearly to me. I recommend rereading that rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
snoozefest wrote:

But some units might shoot at one hex entered, then other different units might shoot at the next hex entered, and so on.
A33.2 seems to describe it quite clearly to me. I recommend rereading that rule.

Yes, but the rule reads (to me) as if you use the card to fire at that particular hex. But the OP and comments above seem to suggest that you get to do the op fire at multiple hexes along the movement route, with that same op fire card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:
russ wrote:
snoozefest wrote:

Yes, but the rule reads (to me) as if you use the card to fire at that particular hex.

I'm not sure how it reads that way, given the second bullet point (which I highlight in yellow here):

A33.2 wrote:
If he does, he may choose to
do either or both of the following:

play a Fire Action from his hand and activate
one or more units to fire at that hex
(exactly as if he were activating units for a
Fire Order [O14.1 & O20.1]); and/or

make one Fire Attack against that hex with
any of his units that were activated for Op
Fire at any point during this same Move
Order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Makowsky
United States
Rhinebeck
New York
flag msg tools
Note that it say and/or.

So you can fire at that hex, or fire at a hex of during the same move order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When your opponent activates units for a MOVE order, as soon as he moves any of those units into any hex, you may activate a unit or units for Op Firing. Then, for as long as your opponent has that MOVE order in play, any of your units activated for OP FIRE may fire at those moving units each time one of them enters a new hex (as long as they meet the other requirements such as range, LOS, etc.). If a fire group fires at moving units, they must satisfy the requirements of a firegroup . . . all adjacent, etc.

But when your opponent's MOVE order is done, your OP FIRE action is done, too. Just as he cannot reactivate any of the units that were under the MOVE order for the remainder of his turn, you likewise cannot activate any units that were under the OP FIRE action for the remainder of your opponent's turn. Everything resets once your opponent's turn is done.

There are many layers to decisions to make, demonstrating why CC is so awesome. A few include:

(1) You Don't Know What I Know You Know. Your opponent might just want you to drain your hand of Op Fire / Fire cards so that he can move what he really wants to move . . . this is also known as a *diversion*. However, he might be moving the units he really does want to move to make you think he's moving units that are just meant to draw off your fire cards. He might have a full hand of MOVE orders and just decide to MOVE them individually. So you have to decide what you think your opponent's priorities at this moment, what resources you want to commit to this enemy activity, and what you have to accomplish at this moment. With all those factors in mind, you must decide if it's worth OpFiring or not.

(2) Fire Now, Pay Later. Because you don't get to draw your hand of cards until the *end* of your turn, each OpFire (or other Action card you play) puts you one card down for your next turn. Your opponet, however, will have a full hand, because his turn just ended. Do you *need* that Fire card for *your* turn? What's more important: firing now, or firing later? What are your immediately priorities for your next turn? If you are planning on discarding, anyway, OpFiring is a great way to get some use out of your dead hand, for instance.

Awesome, awesome game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first part of A33.2 is as critical to understanding Op Fire as anything else (emphasis mine):

Generally, when the active player is performing a Move Order, he should count aloud his units’ accumulated MP expenditure in each hex as it is entered. Each time such an expenditure is made

This is what tells you that one shot can be taken every time your opponent enters a new hex on his move order with your units activated for Op Fire (within range and LOS).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all! I've only played the game once and am not totally familiar with the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.