Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody want to comment on this? Would I be better getting the Eastern Front expansion to my copy of Memoir '44 or get the Command & Colors Ancients game? Does the Eastern Front introduce new rules to make it meatier of dow C&C do that better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want meatier, definitely go with C&C: Ancients. Eastern Front doesn't really make M44 much meatier, it just adds more cool stuff.

If it's meaty you're looking for, I also recommend steaks and hamburgers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See another good discussion of this from a week or so ago here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/98584

Mem '44 is really good with the Eastern Front expansion, but the depth and meatiness of C&C is much better IMHO, as are the possibilites for expansion modules. I have both games, but much prefer C&C:Ancients.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
ixnay66 wrote:
Anybody want to comment on this? Would I be better getting the Eastern Front expansion to my copy of Memoir '44 or get the Command & Colors Ancients game? Does the Eastern Front introduce new rules to make it meatier of dow C&C do that better?

EASTERN FRONT does add one new rule for Russian troops, but even I, a serious M'44 fan, can't say it makes the game "meatier" - basically, Russian troops are commanded by a "Commissar", the inherent inefficiency of which demands you choose your Move card one turn in advance, i.e. there's always a card for next turn you put under a poker chip to mark it. It also adds a lot of new scenarios, so the game is "meatier" that way, and also includes some new terrain tiles as well, making it imo the best of the expansions, but aia, I'd have to say its adds "more" but not really as whole lot by way of "deeper".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stubner
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I didn’t think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows -- Bart Simpson
mbmbmbmbmb
I also recommend Ancients. To me, the C&C system works better with the non-mech type battles. The slower paced, less destructive units represented need better tactics than Memoir. The extra rules rewards battle formation and careful play.

PCS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Herbst
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will add my voice to the chorus and agree that C&C Ancients will definitely give you a meatier game than Memoir 44 with the Eastern Front expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up the last copy TimeWellSpent.org had today on the way home from work. I'll be applying stickers tonight but I doubt I'll even get 1/4 of the way through them.

On another note, I think I'm going to pick up Eastern Front anyway along with the winter and desert board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have M'44 + all the expansions but C&C Ancients has a lot more to consider in terms of tactical decision making.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also agree that C&C:Ancients is a better game than Memoir '44 though I like both a great deal.

C&C:Ancients feels "supercharged" right out of the box. Memoir is great fun right out of the box, but the expansion packs build the game to the place that C&C:Ancients starts at. And there are plenty of things in Ancients warfare left to explore!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
C&C:Ancients feels "supercharged" right out of the box. Memoir is great fun right out of the box, but the expansion packs build the game to the place that C&C:Ancients starts at. And there are plenty of things in Ancients warfare left to explore!

This is one of the most exciting things about C&C:Ancients for me--bring on the modules, baby!

I hope GMT is smart and jumps on the production of new modules for the game right away. I know they're already talking about it--but hey, they ought to strike while the iron is hot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
ixnay66 wrote:
I picked up the last copy TimeWellSpent.org had today on the way home from work. I'll be applying stickers tonight but I doubt I'll even get 1/4 of the way through them.

On another note, I think I'm going to pick up Eastern Front anyway along with the winter and desert board.

As someone pointed out in another thread, they also add rules for snipers and mine fields as well. Not sure if all that together adds enough in for you, but most people seem pretty satisfied...

I have to admti this thread has sparked what little interest I can muster over C&C:A. Don't get me wrong, it's just that
a) most of my gaming nowadays is multiplayer
b) I've found most dead-on historical simulations I've tried end up either repeating history too easily or being driven by the struggle to avoid repeating history and thus unsatisfying
c) I get so many free games already - it's hard to justify the expense when I have stuff I got free last year (CONQUEST OF THE EMPIRE, ATTACK!, BOOTLEGGERS!) I haven't had time for yet, and I have more on the way...

Still: If I run into a big commission client and see some huge pile of disposable cash while it's still in print...I'll likely still blow it on cheap gin and women half my age, but when I sober up, I'd totally think about how if I'd only bought C&C:A instead, I'd have more money left over and no chance of any social disease...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.