Subject: Scenario 4: Florida & False Contacts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Can you play Action cards on a False Contact?

2. Shouldn't Florida also be identified if she Opposes or Crosses the T?

3. Can False Contacts Oppose or Cross the T?

4. After Florida is identified, do any remaining False Contacts stay in the game?

5. It says trying to enter a Grid Box with any hidden ship is an Opposed Maneuver:
a) Presumably a False Contact is a 'hidden ship'.
b) Presumably this rule only affects the Union.
c) Wouldn't it be better to say that there is a -1 DRM rather than invoking rule 5.1.2, which doesn't apply to this situation at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Curtiss
United States
Dothan
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes, 2nd-to-last Special Rule: "False contacts use the same maneuver rating as Florida." If you don't play action cards, you identify the False Contacts - no way around this!

2. I'd say "no". Special Rule: "Immediately identify Florida if she fires or attempts to ram." On the other hand, 8.6.1 says Crossing the T attempt and attempt to use spar torpedo will also cause identification, but this is a Campaign Game rule. I go by scenario special rules overriding the normal rulebook, which is why I'd say no, but this looks like a case for Jim Day.

3. I don't see anything stopping them, at least in the scenario as written. Them Yankees seem a mite jittery out there tonight!arrrh

4. Special rule: "Once identified, Florida remains face up for the remainder of the scenario; False Contacts are permanently removed from play." I think Jim means for the False Contacts to go away immediately when Florida is identified, and that is how I'd play it, but I can see how this is not written to say that precisely. He might mean "if a false contact is identified, permanently remove it from play". A good candidate for clarification!

a) Yes, their counters are flipped over and so is Florida, until identified.
b) It doesn't say that. Mebbe them Rebs is a mite jittery as well!arrrh
c) I agree with you - That is a good suggestion for the "living rules."

Hope this helps, Beresford, but these are just my opinions. Maybe Jim will clarify for both of us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Day
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes, for movement. Of course, gunnery cards can't be played on a false contact.

2. No, she's not identified. The Special Rules in a scenario always take precedence.

3. Yes, although I can't see why you'd want to do it.

4. What would be the point? You now know the where the Florida is. Each false contact is also removed as identified.

5a. Yes

5b. Yes, it only affects the Union.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your answers, Jim. The point of using a False Contact to Oppose, Cross the T, or continue existence after the Florida is revealed is of course that it can generate negative DRMs for enemy Maneuvers.

Foe example, let's say that the Florida has been revealed and I move a False Contact into the Florida's Grid Box. There is now a -1 DRM for Union ships attempting to enter that Box, is there not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Day
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
beresford wrote:
Thanks for your answers, Jim. The point of using a False Contact to Oppose, Cross the T, or continue existence after the Florida is revealed is of course that it can generate negative DRMs for enemy Maneuvers.

Foe example, let's say that the Florida has been revealed and I move a False Contact into the Florida's Grid Box. There is now a -1 DRM for Union ships attempting to enter that Box, is there not.

You can't keep false contacts on the map once the Florida is revealed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.