Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Hunting Party» Forums » Variants

Subject: Flip two hunters when hiring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Albert
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
One variant that we have been using for a while is to flip two hunters every time someone goes hiring. The active player chooses who to hire putting the other hunter on the bottom of the hiring location and then bidding continues as normal. This does 2 things:

1. It reduces the chance that you waste a whole turn by turning over a hunter that does you absolutely no good. Like getting the Amazon when you already have 2 or 3 males in your party.

2. You can actually "bury" certain hunters. For instance, if I go to the Temple to hire and I know that another player really wants the Paladin and he is one of the hunters available, I can choose the hunter regardless of who they are just to annoy/thwart the other player. devil

You can also expand this variant when selecting your Hero at the beginning of the game. We even let people choose a hunter from two different locations if they like. Although this is not allowed when hiring during the game. This prevents people from getting "stuck" with a Hero that they feel is sub-par and therefore increases the overall enjoyment of everyone playing. And that is a good thing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I can see it doing two more things:

3. It adds another deduction element. The player provides clues based upon which of the hunters he decides to keep or bury.

4. It speeds up the game. Most of the time, the prophesy is figured out long before one of the players is able to get the correct combination of hunters in his party.

I actually like it the way it is now. I like the anticipation of turning over an unknown hunter, then the challenge of dealing with it through the auction. It might defeat some of that feeling. However, it would certainly help players form their parties with the correct combinations faster, and bring it more in line with solving the prophesy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Christenson
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmb
So far, this is the only variant I've found that I enjoy. It doesn't affect any hunter's ability too much and gives more choices, which of course means more stategy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Gallagher
United States
Saginaw
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
benalbert wrote:
You can also expand this variant when selecting your Hero at the beginning of the game. We even let people choose a hunter from two different locations if they like. Although this is not allowed when hiring during the game. This prevents people from getting "stuck" with a Hero that they feel is sub-par and therefore increases the overall enjoyment of everyone playing. And that is a good thing.


Our house rule is draw any three hunters and pick one as your hero.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Albert
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Three is good as well for choosing a Hero but I wouldn't recommend it when hiring. We tried flipping three when hiring but it seemed to take a lot longer, especially with newer players, because people sit there for like 5 minutes trying to decide which hunter to choose. Plus there are often only 3 hunters left in one location and giving someone the ability to choose from every hunter left is very powerful and I believe changes the game too much. This scenario comes up much less with just flipping 2 hunters.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
benalbert wrote:
One variant that we have been using for a while is to flip two hunters every time someone goes hiring. The active player chooses who to hire putting the other hunter on the bottom of the hiring location and then bidding continues as normal. This does 2 things:

1. It reduces the chance that you waste a whole turn by turning over a hunter that does you absolutely no good. Like getting the Amazon when you already have 2 or 3 males in your party.

2. You can actually "bury" certain hunters. For instance, if I go to the Temple to hire and I know that another player really wants the Paladin and he is one of the hunters available, I can choose the hunter regardless of who they are just to annoy/thwart the other player. devil


I guess I don't understand the problem this variant is meant to solve.

Point 1 says it increases your chances of getting a chacracter that you would prefer to bid on. Point 2 says it offers the flipping player a chance to bury a character another might prefer. Worse, you might hit the jackpot and flip a hunter you like and bury a character someone else would want. To me, that just unfairly shifts the problem of Point 1 to another player in Point 2 without any recourse for the other player.

It appears to me that this suppresses the competitive bidding aspect in favor of a luck-driven, screw-your-neighbor approach. Sure, if you bury a hunter that another likes while your fave is up, someone might bid high to keep them out of your group, too. But they have to pay when you did the same thing to them first for no cost at all.

One of the things I like about Hunting Party is that bidding shares is the cost/benefit mechanic to do this sort of thing. Not a lucky break on an extra card flip.

A fair compromise might be to simply replace the unwanted character face-down on the top of the deck. That way, you get your choice of two, a fair round of bidding takes place without a luck-driven screw-over into the bargain, and anyone else that goes to that recruiting location can enjoy the same draw-two/bid-one opportunity you did.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ruvion .
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yea I don't like the screw factor as well...BradyLS's modification is a bit better i think.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Christenson
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmb
BradyLS wrote:

A fair compromise might be to simply replace the unwanted character face-down on the top of the deck.


Brady, I really like that idea. I will try it next time I play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that getting 2 starting characters and choosing 1 of them is a very good variant.

For hiring though, it really helps you find the things you need and speeds up the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.