Subject: Games which could be enhanced with metal fantasy coins? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J.A. Ames
United States
Poulsbo
Washington
flag msg tools
Hi, I'm working on my Kickstarter video for fantasy "gold" coins which game players can substitute their plastic or cardboard tokens with. The main reason we got the idea to have these coins made was from playing Talisman. I love collecting gold... and I really wanted some nice fantasy coins to use with the game. I had three primary criteria: "gold" looking, generic fantasy theme, around dime sized (I wanted something substantial, but nothing which overpowers the chit area). After failing to find anything that matches, I decided to get some custom coins made and run a Kickstarter campaign for a large run, which substantially reduces cost for quality fantasy coins like these.

So, that was a long lead-up to a request for help. I know there must be a ton of other games out there that could benefit from "gold" fantasy coins like these, and I'm looking to compile a list of these games. The coin has a dragon on one side, castle on the other with the words "Fortia Facta." So looking for any game that could benefit from one or two as markers, all the way up to a bag of 30 or 60 coins.

Also, as a thank you, I'll be randomly giving away free coins. So if you post with an idea, after a few days all randomly choose some people who've posted here, and send a coin free of charge.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well my first thought was Talisman, but you've clearly covered that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kaercher
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Red Dragon Inn comes to mind.

Great idea by the way. My friend and I love Talisman's metal coins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Reed
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
I'm BullTaco and I approved this message.
badge
Mess with the Bull.....
mbmbmbmb
First thing that comes to mind to me is Lords of Waterdeep...great game that would be even better with "real metal gold"!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Campbell
United States
Lake Worth
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will there only one denomination of coin?

Lords of Waterdeep
Small World
The Red Dragon Inn games. I'd love better coins for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Phillips
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would enjoy that for Belfort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Merchants & Marauders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn von Knorring
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
The picture is a swedish cartoon-figure Herman Hedning. English info here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Hedning
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The work has already been done for you: Games with coins.

Of course, as you can see, they've also already done a couple Kickstarters for coins which were pretty successful (they also did one for pirate coins). So you can check them out for inspiration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrill Lampart
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
interesting to read the different suggestions of games here to this question. I would have expected that there is only one simple answer to your question, which game could be better with Metal coins? ALL OF THEM! If a game uses currently make them metal, or acrylic if it's futuristic and everyone is happier.

I think one thing most people agree that paper money is a big NO NO and warning sign for most games.

EDIT: Completely forgot to give you some game examples

Cyclades
Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris spizziri
United States
elk grove village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runebound!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A. Ames
United States
Poulsbo
Washington
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone, the feedback is greatly appreciated!

@Josephus - We did look at realm coins, and they are just too large for our taste and also lack the feel of an authentic real old world coin. Feel too much like a mass produced token. Don't get me wrong, they are better than plastic or cardboard, but we were shooting for something much cooler.

@jmcampbell - Yes, one denomination... the dies are costly to produce, however we've toyed with the idea of offering "silver" and copper versions of the coin.

Here is pic of the coins. We've done an initial small run, so we can show the real-deal for the campaign:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
With all the annoying handling of paper money, Hermagor is a game that would immensely benefit from coins in various denominations (or gold, silver and copper, as you propose).

If you go for gold coins only, take a look at Legends of Andor, Citadels and Drakon (third edition).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
The work has already been done for you: Games with coins.

Of course, as you can see, they've also already done a couple Kickstarters for coins which were pretty successful (they also did one for pirate coins). So you can check them out for inspiration.

Their pirate coins are decent. I'm still trying to to find where to buy these:

My luck they would probably too expensive anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Geuss
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Are those about the size of a penny?

Should work for Catacombs and Discworld: Ankh Morpock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think having a single denomination coin will limit the appeal of your coins. Small World was previously mentioned as a game that could benefit from metal coins. In a 3 player game (all I've played) scores around 90 points are not uncommon. To use single denomination coins for this I would need (rounding up for a cushion) 300 coins. More for 4 players and so on. Don't see myself picking up 300 coins to bling out Small World.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rullman
Sweden
Solberga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's just "fantasy coins" I don't think any game would be enhanced by them.

I have Puerto Rico Deluxe and the metal coins just do so much for the feeling. Problem would probably be that the cost of each coin would make it too expensive to use with many games.
With a generic look and proper denominations quite a few games could get a kick from this. But I'm not sure if I would personally spend money on it.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A. Ames
United States
Poulsbo
Washington
flag msg tools
Aganazer wrote:
Are those about the size of a penny?

Its diameter is a tad smaller than a penny, but a bit thicker.. penny is 1.55mm thick and Fortia Facta coin is about 1.75mm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A. Ames
United States
Poulsbo
Washington
flag msg tools
First drawing!

Congrats geschichte! PM me your mailing address and I'll send out your coin on Friday.

I'll have another drawing in a day or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Young
England
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders - Whilst it's not a fantasy theme, the ancient world and mythology go together well, so I think it fits. Also, there's not so much money floating around that single denominations would be a major problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galahad von Lichtenstein
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you include also numerical value on these coins, then you can utilize them in every game which you get points in the middle of game. They will be good also in RPGs.

It's great to eliminate need for pen & pencil point tracking in Scrabble by using custom coins (we have our set made from fimo, values are 1,2,5,10,20,50,100,200).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cory swafford
United States
Waterbury
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortune and Glory could use them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since most of the pictures of coins here look plain, I have bus tokens looking better. I suggest you get a used copy of Coin craft’s English and UK coins 1066 to Date www.coincraft.com . I got mine for 5 cents and shipping.
For do yourself, I cast replicas of medieval/roman coins in pewter. The mold is RTV rubber. I can go deeper in to the casting subject if asked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
7 Wonders!

but that would need coins with denominations of 1, 3 and 6...
(or as a joke a coin with a denomination of 7)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World would be more pleasant with some custom coins. I mean sure they're VP rather than currency really, but metal!

Smash Up is another one where they're VP but I'd like some decent coins to replace the cardboard..

I'd love for Among the Stars coins to get some love, but they're kind of futuristic rather than just fantasy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.