Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monday night is normally RPG night, so I was planning on solo War of the Ring. But it turns out Steve ane Emma and Merrick weren't doing anything. They didn't want to play War of the Ring (which would have taken too long anyway). Me and Steve went to the cupboard and got Louis XIV, Caylus, and Tikal, which was Emma's choice. My second game, and first in the society. I explained the rules and took my first turn, drawing a treasure tile. I picked up a treasure...most others followed suit. I found a 2 Temple and put a guard on it, and Emmma and Steve put guards on their Temples. I concentrated on establishing temples while they hunted treasures. First Volcano was drawn by Merrick and I was 3 points or so ahead. I built a base camp on the southern edge of the map, to better get temples (I had used my second guard by now). The North end was full of treasures and difficult to access, so I ignored it. Steve and Emma placed their second guards, and Merrik placed his first. My original temple had been built to size 10, and I had a second one at size 8 (Emma had the other 9). Then Merrick drew the second volcano, and I was a good 10 points clear of the others. Merrik had an opportunity to screw me out of 6 point temple, by rushing his leader there and placing a guard, but he went for an uncontested 6 point one instead. I placed another campsite towards the far corner, near some more temples. Steve drew the third volcano and I was 15 points clear of the others. Merrik was about 10 points behind the crowd, he hadn't got matching treasures like Steve and Emmma. I had some difficulty controlling my temples in the last few rounds and closed on 113 points, with Emma getting 100, Steve 98, and Merrik 83 or so. I had collected 3 treasures the whole game, and really I think I could better have spent the 9 action points marching round the jungle, because I was only benefiting the others. Still everyone enjoyed it, so maybe we will play it again some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Were you continuing to dig out temples that you had guarded? I don't have my ruleset handy, but I was under the impression that once a guard was placed, it couldn't be increased in value. Have I played this wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrice Pelletier
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
daw65 wrote:
I was under the impression that once a guard was placed, it couldn't be increased in value. Have I played this wrong?

You are correct. Once a guard is placed on a temple, this temple cannot be further uncovered. Its value is fixed for the remainder of the game (from the rulebook).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once a guard is placed on a temple, the temple may not be further uncovered?surprise

Ok, well another stupid error by yours truly...guess my win was invalid after all...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.