Elasund: The First City» Forums » General

Subject: Do you have to play it mean? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife doesn't like "mean" games. Do you have to play this game that way, or can you also just choose to "play nice" and not steal, destroy, and otherwise mess with the other player?

Please compare/contrast this with other well-known games, as far as the "screw your opponent" aspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if it's possible to not hurt other players in the game, as you are constantly building over other people's buildings, and even your own. It's definitely confrontational, but it happens so often that it doesn't seem so bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cull wrote:
My wife doesn't like "mean" games. Do you have to play this game that way, or can you also just choose to "play nice" and not steal, destroy, and otherwise mess with the other player?

Please compare/contrast this with other well-known games, as far as the "screw your opponent" aspect.

I think you will discover that the board size forces you to "Play mean". There just isn't enough room to build everything you need to win with out some amount of overbuilding. The Church also can force overbuilding as you really can't predict where in the city it will be built.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the meanness factor was pretty low, as low as the use of the robber in Settlers, for example. In fact, the robber often had more of a "gotcha'" element that could generate some pay-back activity.

There were some building-over moves, but early on this will mean that the player who has been built over can immediately reposition their building to another location on the board. Later, the newer buildings you have that are built over can be rebuilt by you (no building is actually ever eliminated from the game, IIRC).

It's possible to play the game without any building over if the players agree to it. I think all it would do to hamper play is add a bit of luck into the game (for whoever gets to build in the best areas first), but then it would also have involved a bit of luck to be able to build over someone without the original owner doing something to block you (placing his own permit, one with a higher value, in one of the empty spaces where a competing player was about to build over), so perhaps the luck element evens out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

There were some building-over moves, but early on this will mean that the player who has been built over can immediately reposition their building to another location on the board. Later, the newer buildings you have that are built over can be rebuilt by you (no building is actually ever eliminated from the game, IIRC).

Well sort of. Early on, only your starting buildings are on the board...and no matter when in the game, if they get covered over, you can reposition them.
Your other buildings and the neutral buildings can build over other buildings ( using certain placement limitations ) any time.

I find this game has a screw you factor to it, and that your wife may dislike it as a result. You are in competition for valuable space...you can use other peoples' building permits, get rid of their buildings
( yeah sure they get a chance to rebuild, but not if there isn't any available space left for one of that size), etc.

It isn't super confrontational, but make no mistake...it is confrontational.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Palpatine thinks a game is mean, then I guess its mean.

Based entirely on his screen persona, I really have no clue who the user is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
cull wrote:

Sure you can play it nice! Just ask your fellow players exactly how they would like to be screwed shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
This game wasn't made to be played nice. Not only is there demolishing other players' buildings, but there is also blocking and stealing the use of other players' permits. The game can be supremely frustrating - that's why it has the top spot in my Hot list

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mackay
Canada
Unspecified
Alberta
flag msg tools
I don't view the "destructive" plays as mean. No meaner than capturing someones Bishop in Chess... Much like in Chess, I applaud any great and unexpected play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d peruzzini
United States
cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
you could always play with the 3 player board for 2 players (more building room) and not allow building over unless no other options exist, it will hamper the games meant methods but will still be a good way to spend an evening i would think

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.