Subject: [Deck] Fast Kate: Tiny Rig (no MU/MO) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got inspired to post my Shaper deck, since there's been some threads bashing Kate and discussion about shaper decks without Magnum Opus. This is my most succesful runner deck so far (my anarch and criminal skills are lacking).

I like Kate a lot more than Chaos Theory. She's only a little bit slower, but has better economy and a link to boot.

It guess it plays like a Chaos Theory deck though, with no added memory. It doesn't have Magnum Opus, but still has great economy. Especially if you're allowed to Bank Job.

Strategy:
Set up an efficient rig fast. Get a femme in a dino. Mark Ice Walls/Hadrians or Tollbooth if they're in play. Personal touch on Femme and Gordian Blade or whereever it fits best. Test Run for whatever breaker you don't draw. It's very rare that I have to dig for a certain breaker/test run.

Be very careful against Jinteki. Avoid losing Test Runs or breakers to net damage.

Plascrete and Public sympathy for defense. Codecracker for shell games. Indexing, R&D Interface and Noteriety for a fast win.

Manage economy well. Leave 1 cr on bank job and 2 cr on Armitage, even though you haven't found Aesops yet.

Identity: Shapers: Kate "Mac" McCaffrey

Cards: 45 / 45
Influence: 15 / 15

Event (18)
3x Diesel
2x Indexing
3x Modded
1x Notoriety
3x Quality Time
3x Sure Gamble
3x Test Run

Hardware (10)
3x Dinosaurus
1x Lemuria Codecracker ●
1x Plascrete Carapace
2x R&D Interface
3x The Personal Touch

Program (6)
1x Corroder ●●
2x Femme Fatale ●●
2x Gordian Blade
1x Morning Star ●●●●

Resource (11)
2x Aesops Pawnshop
3x Armitage Codebusting
3x Bank Job ●●●●●●
2x Kati Jones
1x Public Sympathy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why Lemuria? I'd grab an Easy Mark with a floating influence, I think. Or perhaps Yog.0, for flexibility regarding what to do with Dinosaurus. Speaking of which, Dinosaurus's pseudo-MU isn't being put to use here, so maybe The Personal Touch might be more flexible and economic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Azeltir wrote:
Why Lemuria? I'd grab an Easy Mark with a floating influence, I think.

As I mentioned, for shell games. You don't want to run into a 4-advanced aggressive secretary or junebug.

Quote:
Dinosaurus's pseudo-MU isn't being put to use here, so maybe The Personal Touch might be more flexible and economic.

Not quite true, since Morning Star is 2MU. You need the Dino to fit all of them (and Personal Touches are included too)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this a lot, both the theory and the 1 practice game on OCTGN. I dislike Shaper because their key in-faction cards foster predictability (Magnum Opus, R&D pressure, Pawnshop), but never dared to do away with M.O. Every Runner does just fine with Kati though, time to take the plunge!

I made a few modifications:

- Public Sympathy: I only include this if running more than 1 Stimhack. By itself, this only techs against JintekiPE, which is no problem at all if your deck is fast and you play careful (Indexing is key).
+ Plascrete

- Bank Job: I always get clogged when I run 3, especially if the Corp only does 1 strong remote.
+ Retrieval Run: Archives pressure. Toss your Morning Star if you draw it first, courtesy of Quality Time. If your opponent's astute enough to block Archives after seeing you throw it away, he wasted a click if you didn't plan to retrieve yet. Later, you can retrieve it via Test Run, or Test Run a Femme to use Retrieval Run. If opponent doesn't rez any walls bigger than Wall of Static (including Elis), you don't even need to retrieve it.

- The Personal Touch: Same, get clogged
- Aesop's: Clog, and not that much stuff to trash. OK to get this late
- Gordian: Only need 1 copy of each breaker (other than Femme), since Test Run keeps you safe from program trashes while draw power brings them out early. Even better if the Corp trashes Femme (usually the #1 target) for you after he already trashed the Ice you Femme'd.
+ Indexing: One of the best run events in the game, good both early and late.
+ Tinkering x2: I don't install the full rig quickly (deliberately, since I do a lot of Femme juggling), so need this early. Late, this also goes great with Morning Star and Gordian.

I like Lemuria in this deck, as HQ pressure for 1 influence. You have no HQ pressure whatsoever (beyond Notoriety), so you need it to 1) get the Corp to defend HQ, 2) prevent the Corp from playing trash in the strong remote every turn. Once you stop 2), you can focus solely on R&D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
I like Lemuria in this deck, as HQ pressure for 1 influence. You have no HQ pressure whatsoever (beyond Notoriety), so you need it to 1) get the Corp to defend HQ, 2) prevent the Corp from playing trash in the strong remote every turn. Once you stop 2), you can focus solely on R&D.

I can attest to the Lemuria being a card that makes me rage for my Corp playstyle for precisely reason #2, which either leads to #1 or takes away what I think is one of the most potent anti-Runner tools in the Corp playbook (particularly against Shaper).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
I made a few modifications:

All very nice changes and good reasoning to go with it. I'll definitely try some of them out.

I especially agree with Tinkering. Really a nice card with Morning Star or as an early "inside job". It's just a card that I often cut out first when pruning the deck. And Femme is best played when the corp has exposed their ice strategy. So Tinkering is perfect to stall her a bit while waiting for that or a dino.

I did try juggling a bit with indexing and noteriety. At some point I just stuck 3 of each in. For Noteriety, I would often just score it one time and that would usually be for the win, when I already had three 2-point agendas stolen.

For Indexing, I found that when I had it early I didn't get to use it. The corp will ice up R&D fast and strong, as is very wise against shapers. So I couldn't seem to get it off properly until mid to late game. So I cut it down to 2 instead of 3.

My public sympathy is good for double-ronin defense, but also a way to avoid discarding good cards from excessive diesel/quality time digging. Rarely plays a bit role and can easily be swapped for something else.

The Personal Touch is also easily cut down. I often find myself sitting with one or two as damage fodder, because my rig is so solid that I don't need the +1 to a breaker. But I really like my Femme at strength 5.

(edit: Don't get double-scorched, mkay?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SonnyDK wrote:
My public sympathy is good for double ronin/scorched defense

Aside: 1x Public Sympathy (7-card hand) won't prevent a double-Scorch (2x 4 meat damage).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
astroglide wrote:
SonnyDK wrote:
My public sympathy is good for double ronin/scorched defense

Aside: 1x Public Sympathy (7-card hand) won't prevent a double-Scorch (2x 4 meat damage).

Yeah, dunno what I was thinking. Probably just the double-ronin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to see this type of list posted. We really need to get Shaper players away from their Magnum Opus crutch. Yeah it slims their deck economy, but not without a price. It's contributing to the bad rep Kate gets in the runner identity popularity contest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lysander
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
This deck looks near-identical to my minimalist Kate deck (which I will be sharing post C&C due to what Self-Modifying Code, Paricia, Escher, and any new breakers/consoles do for it). A couple thoughts, however.

I mirror the thoughts regarding incorporating 2x Tinkering. It may be a dead draw however if you don't obtain it prior to turn 7 or so, so I can see either argument.

I'd strongly recommend you consider cutting your higher cost programs in favor of cheaper ones. That 8 credit install hurts a bit and your deck will get off the ground that much faster with a 3 credit install. However, your options are limited (basically only to Mimic for your sentry and Corroder for barrier), so I can understand waiting to see what Dagger's (C&C) effects are.

I feel like with 3x Diesel and 3x Quality Time, you'd benefit more from an additional Public Sympathy rather than the Plascrete.

What I like most is that you focus on diversifying your build and addressing whatever may be thrown at you. Might I recommend you test 3x Crescentus, since it'll be a free install with Kit and you have the space and influence for it anyways. Additionally, running 2x Stimhack and 1x Bank Job would probably yield better results, and wouldn't hurt so much if you add that second or third Public Sympathy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lysander1 wrote:
I'd strongly recommend you consider cutting your higher cost programs in favor of cheaper ones. That 8 credit install hurts a bit and your deck will get off the ground that much faster with a 3 credit install.

It's usually only 7 cost I really like Morning Star. It's very efficient against Wall of Thorns, and if you stick a Personal Touch on it, it'll chew through a Heimdall (and then there's the fear of a Tyrant with 10+ counters) But the Corroder is quite efficient too, and quite necessary against advanceable ice. I rarely have problems with economy. Sure, 8 cost is much, and so is 9 for Femme, but usually easy to afford, even if you have to Test Run for it first. To go through a Wall of Thorns, a Corroder cost 5, where Morning Star is 1, so it pays for itself after 2 runs on a Wall of Thorns.

Quote:
I feel like with 3x Diesel and 3x Quality Time, you'd benefit more from an additional Public Sympathy rather than the Plascrete.

That might work just as well, but one of each seemed like a balanced solution. If you get tagstormed and corp removes all Public Sympathy. Then you're in discard hell and slightly more vulnerable.

Quote:
Might I recommend you test 3x Crescentus, since it'll be a free install with Kit and you have the space and influence for it anyways

You mean if I take out Morning Star? Otherwise, I seem to be short on space/influence.

Quote:
Additionally, running 2x Stimhack and 1x Bank Job would probably yield better results, and wouldn't hurt so much if you add that second or third Public Sympathy.

I don't like that at all. The good thing with Bank Job is that it's easy to get out of your hand, plus you can use the credits to install stuff with. And if corp doesn't allow you to Bank Job, then you can just eat it with Aesops for 3 cr. Then it's an Easy Mark instead. And this rig rarely use 9 credits in a single run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bingo Little
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Lemuria sucks. Period. Actually, that was three periods there.

Would you rather win most of your games, or some games against corp playing shell and trap decks? If you want a deck that wins that mindframe should be what will win the most, having maximum utility overall. Lemuria is then out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
"We really need to get Shaper players away from their Magnum Opus crutch."

Why? Jealous?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt - Conduit23
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SonnyDK wrote:
Then it's an Easy Mark instead.

But Bank Job costs 1 to install.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mdanuser wrote:
But Bank Job costs 1 to install.

Well yes. But I assume that it's on the table before you find out it's not usable. If not, then just treat it as a delayed Infiltration cash effect

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.