Mike Watkins
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
The rules state, "When a feature with the fairy is scored, the player whose follower stands on a tile with the fairy scores 3 points for standing there"

My questions are:

1) How do you define a feature? For a city, farm and road I'm asumming it's any tile that the feature is comprised of. What about a cloister? Are the 8 surrounding tiles considered part of the feature since they are each scored?

2) Are the 3 bonus points available to only the player who get the feature points or any player on the feature when its scored. For instance if player one has a large meeple in a city and player 2 has a small meeple and the fairy in another tile on the city does player 2 get the 3 points? I've been assuming yes but not sure. This can also related to question 1 if another player has a meeple in one of the tiles surrounding the cloister when its scored.

3) Lastly, does the fairy and scoring player have to be on/in the feature itself to get the points or just on one of the same tiles that has part of the feature being scored. For example, if a city is being scored but the fairy is on a tile with a follower who is in the field right outside the wall of the city being scored - does this count for 3 points?

The rules really dont seem to differentiate between tile and feature for purposes of scoring.

Any help is really appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
Excellent questions.

Delgaddo wrote:
1) How do you define a feature? For a city, farm and road I'm asumming it's any tile that the feature is comprised of. What about a cloister? Are the 8 surrounding tiles considered part of the feature since they are each scored?

While the 8 surrounding tiles act like parts of the cloister feature for completion and scoring purposes, they are not part of the feature in the sense you are asking about here: only followers on the tile with the cloister are "in the cloister" feature.

Delgaddo wrote:
2) Are the 3 bonus points available to only the player who get the feature points or any player on the feature when its scored.

The points go to each player who has a follower in a scored feature on the tile with the fairy.

Delgaddo wrote:
3) Lastly, does the fairy and scoring player have to be on/in the feature itself to get the points or just on one of the same tiles that has part of the feature being scored.

Fairy points are only awarded to players who have a follower (1) on the same tile as the fairy, and (2) in the feature being scored.

Delgaddo wrote:
The rules really dont seem to differentiate between tile and feature for purposes of scoring.

Features are scored when they are completed, but points are awarded for each tile spanned by the feature (though as noted above, cloisters are a bit different).

Note also that in all my answers above I've used the term "follower"* rather than meeple deliberately. Pigs and builders also get 3 fairy points.

*See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/115183

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watkins
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
Roy,

Thanks for the great answers! Was having a heck of a hard time finding this info anywhere.

One follow up question based on your answers,

When placing the fairy, the fairy is actually defined as being in a specific feature versus just in the entire tile. Is this correct? If so I'm assuming you then must define which feature the fairy is in when you place her (for instance if you had a meeple in a farm and on a cloister in the same tile - perhaps via a magic portal).

Thanks again

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
Delgaddo wrote:
When placing the fairy, the fairy is actually defined as being in a specific feature versus just in the entire tile. Is this correct?

No, sorry, I garbled that part; corrected above. The fairy can be anywhere on the tile.

This site is very helpful:
http://carcassonnefaq.blogspot.com/2005/07/princess-and-drag...

Also check my (draft) rules summary:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/786023

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.