Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffery Hatmaker
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I admit it, I'm a big fan of cheapass games. There... I said it. And I'd say it again! I've thoroughly enjoyed playing "Lord Of The Fries" with the kids, (especially in Red Lobster!), and they love "Devil Bunny Hates The Earth" as well. So armed with this foreknowledge, I submit to you, what's not to love about a game wherin you play an unscrupulous wrestling promoter, ("unscrupulous" and "Wrestling promoter"; redundant? you be the judge), who entices desperate white collar criminals and corporate thugs to engage in VERY terminal blood sport for mega bucks? It sells itself! The game mechanics are simple and very effective. I've read one review where the game was given a poor rating due to an unfortunate mis-understanding of the rules, so I'd like to kind of balance things out with this one. The combat rules are not vague, though if in a rush, it is certainly easy to understand how a mis-understanding might arise. (Especially if you are playing with very obstreperous "rules lawyers.") Basically, each player calls for either a "fair fight" (i.e., a fighter whose rank is the same as his or her fighter), or a "victim" (i.e., a fighter who is lower ranked, but whose manager gets to draw an extra tile as sort of a handicap). You take turns playing the "one of a kind" tiles (only 5,000 sheets left over from another game, called, "Hackers" were obtained for this game), changing attach strengths or defense strengths or negating other tiles altogether, until both players pass. The other players, (meanwhile), place "side bets" on their choice BEFORE the fighting begins by placing their "token" beside the fighter they think will win. Side bets are always paid out at $5,000 from the bank. The side pot, if no one bets the winner correctly, goes to the winner as part of "the purse" (the purse being the contract price of the losing fighter, paid out by the loser). I think it would be a little more fun, (but a lot more complicated), if players could actually make side bets and LOSE money. Let's face it, STDM is the only game wherein one keeps one's money if one loses one's bet! Not bad, but vegas (and tijuana) don't work that way! Let the betting go against each other and/or the house (the bank) and even (this would get very complicated) have the house give odds! (This would keep the bank from getting skinned by the players, but would necessitate an independant banker). Anyway, I'm just daydreaming. Much like another blood-sport based game, Monopoly, the game is won by the player with the most money when the smoke clears. (The smoke clears when a player is the first to lose his last fighter.) It's fun, fast, and worth the money! And as blood-sport goes, yuppy ceo's killin' each other is far more humane than bull or cock-fighting! Now, que pasa, vatos... let's fire up a big, hand-rolled Cohiba from Habana and get this party started!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.