Popular Tags: [View All]
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm moving into a house soon, with my own Boardgame Room!

It is completely and totally empty currently, and I have no furniture to put inside.

Questions:

How to decorate?

What type of Furniture?

Etc...

I will upload a picture and a floorplan of the room so you guys can help me if you want. The first things I need, right away, are a table. I'm thinking of just picking up a foldable one at Costco to use until I can afford a nice one. What should I get to put on top of it?

What cool ideas do you have, or have you seen, for game rooms?

Geek chic table is the end goal, but that's a year or more away.

Im looking for full crafty things to do, up to and including furniture building and room modification. Of course, if there's something awesome to buy I would love that too.

I'm looking as the whole thing as the fun, not trying to race to an end result. So, the craftier the better!

As a note, I'm not terribly "handy", but I'm going to use this process to learn.

Oh, and budget: no set budget, if its too expensive now I can plan to do it in a couple of years.

I'm going to make a secret room eventually, so I'm planning big.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Han, I want to frame and hang some games, but where do you find games to do that with? I don't have any personally. I guess my parents do, but they're in Arizona.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ ♝ ♞ ♜ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟
badge
♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:
Han, I want to frame and hang some games, but where do you find games to do that with? I don't have any personally. I guess my parents do, but they're in Arizona.

I would hit up Goodwill for some nostalgic games. While you're there, it's a good place to buy picture frames too. You likely won't find everything you want in one trip, but if you swing by on a halfway regular basis (is there a thrift store near your daily commute?), I have no doubt you could score copies of a few nostalgic games whose boards and/or boxe fronts that are worth framing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very important, but often overlooked: Lighting! Get some light fixtures in the ceiling wherever you plan on putting a table. Make sure they're balanced color-wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I think that once I build my next game room I want to invest in some prints of these minimalistic game posters.

A year or two ago I also snagged an old RoboRally promotional poster, and I'm looking forward to framing that and hanging it up as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Stabs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Urza47 wrote:
Very important, but often overlooked: Lighting! Get some light fixtures in the ceiling wherever you plan on putting a table. Make sure they're balanced color-wise.

I read this as 'lightning'. You should get some lightning for your room, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Han, I love those! I'm gonna have to put up a bunch of those. I remember seeing those a couple of years ago, thanks for reminding me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Sellers
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Try again later!
mbmbmbmbmb
HanClinto wrote:
jageroxorz wrote:

I would hit up Goodwill for some nostalgic games. While you're there, it's a good place to buy picture frames too. You likely won't find everything you want in one trip, but if you swing by on a halfway regular basis (is there a thrift store near your daily commute?), I have no doubt you could score copies of a few nostalgic games whose boards and/or boxe fronts that are worth framing.

I really, really love the look that's being presented in those pics. There's a theme there, too, I just can't quite put my finger on it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here a couple of pictures:

Between the desk and the bookcase on the left side is a sliding glass door out to a porch.

I'm thinking of putting the game area in the middle, and have couches and chairs on the far right wall.

I also have to work in a medium-fridge, minibar, and microwave kitchenette area somewhere.

The storage place I'm thinking of segmenting and making some of it into a secret room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (They/She)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reminders on those minimalistic posters, Han. I love them and never even thought to get them printed and framed. I need to do that. Especially the Arkham one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In lieu of individual posters, I would love to find a piece of high quality artwork and make a giant wall poster using Rasterbator or Block Poster or some other such service:

Block Poster Gallery

For source artwork, I would probably start trawling some of the BGG image Hall of Fame geeklists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Here is one iteration of the IKEA Expedit shelf. Everything in the Expedit line has those cubes, which are ideal for holding four standard Fantasy Flight boxes. This one has a table attached that works pretty well for two player games. Please take caution when attaching to the ceiling. It's hard to keep pieces on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Brea
CA
flag msg tools
This space intentionally left green.
badge
GRRREEEEEEEEENNNN!!!!!!
mb
HanClinto wrote:
jageroxorz wrote:

That's pretty risqué.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Nuance over novelty
mbmbmbmbmb
Custom table from

http://www.geekchichq.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McGeehan
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love my Geek Chic table. But their backlog is like 9-12 months right now from when you order to the time you get one. I have a Portal, and it's really convenient to be able to set up a game, and if it isn't finished, to put the leaves on the table and just leave it underneath there ready to be continued by taking them off next time.

For what you get, their prices are pretty reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarrant wrote:
I have a Portal, and it's really convenient to be able to set up a game, and if it isn't finished, to put the leaves on the table and just leave it underneath there ready to be continued by taking them off next time..

That would be SUPER useful for taking a dinner break without having to worry about getting dinner on the game pieces, or waiting for that game to finish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
The problem comes when you forget you've already got a game in pause under the leaves and try to get a nice little game of Empires in Arms going...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A nice Crokinole board, and hang it on the wall.

I know that's anathema to a lot of people who don't want their boards to get dusty, but if I had a super sweet Crokinole board, I'd totally show that thing off.

Also, I was trying to think if there were any comic prints I might want to buy and hang on the wall, and this one comes pretty close. I liked the comic when it was originally up, but the idea of a version sans text is just very appealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
HanClinto wrote:
A nice Crokinole board, and hang it on the wall ceiling.

Then let me take a picture!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I just learned yesterday about a cool technique for hanging heavy objects on walls called a "French Cleat" -- it seems super simple to do, and can reliably hang very heavy objects on walls. If I were going to hang a heavy Crokinole board (or some other heavy item on the wall in my game room), that's probably what I'd use.

Sorry Chicken, I don't think it works for ceilings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
HanClinto wrote:
Also, I just learned yesterday about a cool technique for hanging heavy objects on walls called a "French Cleat" -- it seems super simple to do, and can reliably hang very heavy objects on walls. If I were going to hang a heavy Crokinole board (or some other heavy item on the wall in my game room), that's probably what I'd use.

Sorry Chicken, I don't think it works for ceilings.

That'd be the Australian Cleat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HanClinto wrote:

I know that's anathema to a lot of people who don't want their boards to get dusty, but if I had a super sweet Crokinole board, I'd totally show that thing off.

Also, I was trying to think if there were any comic prints I might want to buy and hang on the wall, and this one comes pretty close. I liked the comic when it was originally up, but the idea of a version sans text is just very appealing.

I have a crokinole board I'm going to put up, but it was one of the Mayfair ones, so it's not amazingly nice. But it still looks good on the wall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McGeehan
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard of people asking "Is that a mirror on the ceiling?" but not "Is that a Crokinole board on the ceiling?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Tarrant wrote:
I've heard of people asking "Is that a mirror on the ceiling?" but not "Is that a Crokinole board on the ceiling?"

Clearly I didn't see that part of your place when I visited

Or that awesome GeekChic table drew all my attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (They/She)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HanClinto wrote:

Oh, we're totally going to hang it on the wall once we find a stud that's reliable enough and in a place where it won't get sunbleached.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.