Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a preview of the prototype card layout:

Click to enlarge

The top 1/3 shows is the Action/Response.
The middle 1/3 shows the lap count and pit time
The bottom 1/3 shows the pass rating and the speed rating.

How is this different?

On the new cards the Pass ratings will no longer all be the same based on the pass/challenge/draft

Pass Inside +.000 to +.200, mostly +.100
Pass Outside -.100 to +.100 mostly -.100
Inside Advantage +.000 to +.200 mostly +.200
Pass Two +.000 to +.200 mostly +.100
Challenge +.000 to +.200 most +.000
Draft +.000 to +.200 mostly +.100

So when you play your action you will COVER UP the bottom 1/3 so no disclosing the pass rating. If challenged, the challenge is issued with the bottom 1/3 COVERED UP. Then, if a drafting opportunity is there, that player must make the decision without knowing. After all players have made their calls, the pass ratings are revealed simultaneously.

We are adding a dashboard card for each player to use to cover up the bottom.

This should make players willing to make moves earlier in the race and makes it more like a real race, sometimes a pass mve is stronger/weaker than others.

We are trying to decide how to layout the art now, ideas? let me know. We're thinking of putting the ratings in gauges, either analog or digital in some fashion, not sure. Help us out, lets make this visually appealing and intuitive. Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like a lot of real estate is lost to the laps and the track diagram when you really just want to show two numbers there. The pit time seems a little small comparatively. Does the diagram need to have the entire track? Maybe just zooming in to the pit entrance and the track branch with the values of each. I'm not sure if stock cars have odometers but having the track count look like an odometer might be intriguing.

I don't think analog dials would give you as much "resolution" as a digital gauge. Meaning that you'll have to have some amount of separation to distinguish between two analog values easily. The more unique values you have the larger you'll need to make the analog gauge. Unless you plan on having people put the cards next to each other to compare the values. (Sorry, I think I need a whiteboard to explain the things I'm talking about here)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Garton
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The above is just prototype playtest decks and will not be what we produce. This just shows the data we need for each card.

We are considering:

The center 1/3 (track oval and pit time) will be scaled down in size, We've been toying with using the same lap count graphic as the original cards. Lap count on left, pit time on right.

For Pass Ratings, an analog gauge works, there is only 4 numbers:
(-.100; .000; +.100; +.200)

For Speed ratings, there are 60 unique numbers, one for each card in the deck. Not sure what to do. I really don't want to mix analog and digital. I could go classic racing and use a trackside signaling chalkboard like they used to use to write the speeds and other stuff like when to pit on for their drivers to see for the pseed rating.

If I do this, I'll adjust the top car graphics back to 60's or 70's cars.

Here's a modern pit board and a vintage board. Mainly used now when radios go out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Lackie
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Will the new decks be compatible with the driver and track decks I have or will I be buying new stuff?

Mitch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Garton
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are downward compatible, but the new decks allow added play that the old decks can't support. The new decks can be used to play the original rules set.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hughes
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Mike,

One of my concerns with cards in any game is that key info is visible when held in one's hand. With your original cards, I can fan the cards in my hand enough to reveal the top sixth of the card, and I'll see three important items: Lap Count, Speed Rating, and Pit Time. If I fan them to see the top third, the card type is revealed, as well. During play, I fan the cards differently based on what info I'm comparing.

With the new layout depicted in your post above, the information is spread out such that there is no way to fan the cards in your hand to compare multiple attributes at once. And Lap Counts are evaluated frequently, but with them located dead center, it becomes really difficult to quickly see all the Lap Counts in your hand.

That said, I love how intuitive it is to put the Lap Count inside the track and the Pit Time in the pit lane.

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Garton
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I understand the need for quick play and we're toying with the layout. The key is how to have an action played and the ability to cover up the data that gives away the pass rating.

To do so, the lap count and pit times need to be covered up or those who card count would memorize the combinations vs the pass ratings.

So, somehow I need to have a player be able to play a card and reveal partial information balanced with ease of reading the hand of cards.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Jenkins
Thailand
San Patong
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit late in the game, I know you are ready to go to press, or already have, but I would Not use the space to keep repeating "action".

Have a key number along one side going vertically. Then whether it is an action, or reaction, have that card with the words color coded. The pics of the cars are nice, but I'd maybe add in a diagram with dotted lines. I know you are balancing the cards cost with ink colors and time taken.

The key already is that the game at its basic level is really simple with a lot of options. I have not played for years but the key was always speed rating for me, then the words of block or pull away. And sometimes pit times, for a held card.

I'll have a look at the stuff in a few weeks, when I start getting ready for prez con.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.