haqattaqq .
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I had one play of this with 5 players and really liked it (Loki was the mastermind and we were defeated). The other players were pretty cutthroat which didn't make this feel like a co-op game at all.

I'm not a bit fan of co-op games and mostly play games with 1 other player. Any suggestions if this will be suitable? After reading a bit about the difficulty it sounds like in the 2 player game it is pretty easy to defeat the mastermind, so I'm assuming that it'll be a fight for victory over the other player, which sounds more appealing to me than a pure co-op.

I must admit that a lot of the appeal of the game is that I'm a huge fan of the marvel comics (vs being a huge fan of the mechanics - from my one game it didn't seem like there was enough long range strategy for my tastes and that it was mostly tactical decisions of "what's the best thing to do on this single turn"). A game with generic super heroes doesn't appeal anything like as much as one with the marvel heroes that I grew up reading.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Co-op games bombed bad with my friends. Pandemic? Blech. Castle Panic? Seriously?!?! Forbidden Island? AHHHH IT BURNS!!!!!!

Legendary? Holy Crap let's play some more!!!

I often find myself forgetting it's co-operative until I realize the Mastermind's about to wipe us out and we have to start working together, and even then there's still the competition.

It's just a fantastic game. Get it!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stokes
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say go for it. With 2 players, the game is easier to 'beat': your decks grow in power quicker than, say, a 4 player game, relative to the amount of villains that are played, so working together is a bit less important. This means you can go for the points: play competitively for the highest score.

Of course, there are scenarios that will require you to work together to win, but the extent of that is usually just laying claim to particular cards, or coordinating what each players focus should be with their deck building. Play of each turn is still down to the individual players, based on the cards in their hands, which eliminates most of the problems with co-op games, particularly the alpha gamer scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group does not play it very cooperatively at all.

Personally I despise coop games. Just be prepared for the masterminds to win more often than they would if you played as a team.

We have a semi-coop method of playing. Essentially we play cut throat, but if a villain is present that needs to be defeated, we will do our best to put aside fighting until they are defeated at first opportunity.

I would say we win 2/3 of the games. But now that the expansion hit, you have to play more coop to win because a single moment of weakness as a team can bring ruin. Were 0 for 2 with Dark City.

Still a super fun game regardless of play style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sexton
United States
Pikeville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I don't really feel too much co-op at all. I mean yeah we all beat the bad guy together because we're the marvel crew..... But he/she stomped us in points.

It always seems to me that I hear "I won" more than "we won"

But I do like the fact that the game can beat you, At that point you always hear "we lost".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
haqattaqq wrote:
from my one game it didn't seem like there was enough long range strategy for my tastes and that it was mostly tactical decisions of "what's the best thing to do on this single turn").

If you pay no attention to what symbols you are putting in your deck, you will definitely suffer. That's the main long-range strategic decision, and I think it's at least as much a factor here as in other deck management games like Dominion. You have to pay attention to the team icons, and the style icons, and of course setting up good combos.

I won't comment on the co-op/non-co-op angle, since I'm a co-op guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
haqattaqq .
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the feedback, I'm convinced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gotten in hundreds of plays of 2 player Legendary, playing pure full on competitive. Great fun.

The only problem is the occasional situation where one player chooses to let the Mastermind win. It's always a bit frustrating, but it doesn't happen too often for most schemes.

Side note: I AM a co-op fan. Lisa and I have made co-op variants for a number of competitive games. We aren't even bothering to try to make one for Legendary. It's great fun competitive, and as far as I can tell utterly unsuited for co-op play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Carvalho
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
I dwell in possibility
badge
Forever is composed of nows
mbmb
crazedyeti wrote:
StormKnight wrote:
I've gotten in hundreds of plays of 2 player Legendary, playing pure full on competitive. Great fun.

The only problem is the occasional situation where one player chooses to let the Mastermind win. It's always a bit frustrating, but it doesn't happen too often for most schemes.

is it wrong that i've done that devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.