Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Wagner
Austria
Mondsee
Oberösterreich
flag msg tools
Hi all,

Just learning the rules of this truly great game.

Is this correct:

A N17 has TtC of 1D at the deck.

In the TtC tables there is no TtC 1D column, it starts with TtC 2D.

Does that mean that after take off and flying at Deck+0 the next turn would take me to Low+0 because no time to climb steps are incorporated?

Now if thats correct it would mean a rate of climb of 4000 feet (to Low+0) in 1 gameturn, or 2 min, averaging a rate of climb of 2000 feet per minute, more than the approx 1200 feet per min as was historically...

Cheers, Rob.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zoltann wrote:
Hi all,

Just learning the rules of this truly great game.

Is this correct:

A N17 has TtC of 1D at the deck.

In the TtC tables there is no TtC 1D column, it starts with TtC 2D.

Does that mean that after take off and flying at Deck+0 the next turn would take me to Low+0 because no time to climb steps are incorporated?

Yes, this part is correct. Some of the German planes are also 1D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, with the caveat that you still need to declare climbing flight. If you were doing level flight at Deck+0, you'd stay at Deck+0. However, declaring climbing flight, your next marker would be Low+0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Real-world rates of climb vary greatly with altitude, especially with WWI-era aircraft. Generally the rates of climb are high at low altitudes, and lower as the aircraft reaches less dense air near its ceiling. The numbers used in the game reflect this trend. I'm no expert on the Nieuport, but the altitude and loading conditions that represent the published average rates of climb for these aircraft are almost never specified. You need more detailed information to scrutinize the values in the game, but the lightweight design of the Nieuports would certainly imply a high rate of climb (that is, low time to climb) for these aircraft compared to many of their contemporaries, especially at low altitude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wagner
Austria
Mondsee
Oberösterreich
flag msg tools
Thanks guys, for the swift replies, got it now!

Ty, your videos convinced me to buy the game as at first I thought I would not come to grips with its rules. Very glad I did because this is, even with its imperfections, truly a work of art and full of atmosphere of the era.

Paul, I hear you on rate of climb at sea level versus at altitude. In an attmpt to check my hunch on this TtC rule I converted the TtC in rate of climbn and compared it to RL data. If that added up, I knew I understood it correctly. The game climb rate is on the high side however, so I decided to post this question.

Having said that, I must add that the TtC tables and system are a brilliant and innovative way of showing relative performance of the aircraft in great detail, giving each aircraft type its due flavor. And that for an operational level game, all aircraft types in service with virtually the entire OOB of both sides simply great...ah getting carried awaywhistle

Cheers, Robert
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mart van de Wege
Netherlands
Den Haag
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Rob,

That's 4000 feet in 4 minutes, you forgot to take into account the takeoff turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mvdwege wrote:
Rob,

That's 4000 feet in 4 minutes, you forgot to take into account the takeoff turn.

That is correct the time to takeoff is factored in that number.

T-Mo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wagner
Austria
Mondsee
Oberösterreich
flag msg tools
Ah...so correct performance after all gulp.

Congrats Terry, great job & good luck on Cactus!

Rob.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjørn Terje Hansebråten
msg tools
mb
Another question: The Albatros has a Ttc at Low 5L, can it go to Low +10 or Low +20 or something between Low +5 and Medium +0 if it do not want to go to Medium +0 ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bthanse wrote:
Another question: The Albatros has a Ttc at Low 5L, can it go to Low +10 or Low +20 or something between Low +5 and Medium +0 if it do not want to go to Medium +0 ?

No it cannot. If it is at Low +4 and climbs it ends its climb at Med +0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjørn Terje Hansebråten
msg tools
mb
Thanks. After a closer look in the Ttc table I understand.
Low+0 = 0ft (0 to 799 ft)
Low+1= 800ft
Low+2=1600ft
Low+3=2400ft
Low+4=3200ft
(Low+5=3200+800=4000ft)=Med+0=4000 ft

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bthanse wrote:
Thanks. After a closer look in the Ttc table I understand.
Low+0 = 0ft (0 to 799 ft)
Low+1= 800ft
Low+2=1600ft
Low+3=2400ft
Low+4=3200ft
(Low+5=3200+800=4000ft)=Med+0=4000 ft

Bingo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.