GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

7,854 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Lee Frank
United States
Bloomfield
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hey All BGG'ers!

I'm hosting a reunion for my old college Science Fiction group.

I'd like to run a custom Wits & Wagers game at the reunion.

For that I need a lot of creative and hard Wits and Wager style trivia questions. I.E. the format of the answer is usually a year, number, or one of what could be many simple one or two word choices.

To get those questions, I need your help!

1. Please submit your best Wits and Wagers style Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror trivia questions and answers below.

PLEASE enter questions 1 comment at a time 1 comment = 1 question.
A. It lets me look at thumbs and comments on individual questions.
B. You get more chances for more prizes.
It is absolutely OK to enter and win multiple times.

In the case of a repeat... the question will probably make the "best" list and get a prize, but only the first one to post it will get the prize.

2. Also please comment on which questions you like best.

After week 1, on Thursday 10/18 I'll give as many at least $0.50 GeekGold tips as I can afford plus some $2 gg tips to the best: the most relevant, about the most common/popular well-known Science Fiction/Fantasy/Horror Movies/TV/Books/Comics, but the hardest most creative questions in the above Wits and Wager format with the most positive feedback submitted before Midnight Wednesday 10/17. I will be giving out at tips to at least the 50 best questions each week (see below for more info).

To keep this spiced up!

3. Please donate GeekGold to me if you want to support this project!

I plan to give all of my and any GeekGold donated away in this contest. So if after reading the entire contest description, if you like the idea, PLEASE donate some GeekGold, so I can give out more and bigger prizes.

After the contest is complete Midnight 7/24, I will pick the winners for Week 2 (if any GG is available), compile the best questions, make a PDF of the card set, and share it here on BGG.

So if you like Trivia, Trivial Pursuit, or Wits & Wagers. Know your 1. Star Trek, 2. Star Wars, 3. Science Fiction (has space ships and rayguns: Battlestar Galactica, Doctor Who, etc...), 4. Fantasy (has magic: Lord of the Rings, Dresden, Indiana Jones), 5. Horror (usually has bood: Dracula, Frankenstein, zombies, etc...) 6. Comic Books (usually has tights: Batman, Superman, Spider-man, etc...) (My 7th category is Miscellaneous -- a dumping ground if I get a lot of one category and not all of others).

Submit a question!

If you like the idea and want to see more prizes, more questions, and eventually more custom Sci-Fi Wits & Wagers cards.

Donate some Geek Gold!

And remember... Anyone can

Give a thumbs up or leave a comment!

Seriously... Please recommend this thread as well as thumb or comment on any questions you like!

It all helps make picking winners easier and better questions for the end card set.

Thanks!

Lee

P.S. It can be Sci Fi, Fantasy, Horror, from Movies, TV, Books, and/or comics. But preference given to questions from the most common / most popular examples of those genres that are the hardest/most creative and fit the Wits and Wagers format best.

P.P.S. Do appreciate if besides the Question and the Answer. A Hint and some indication of source is provided. Questions with more thumbs and positive comments or that are easier to verify will take precedence in being selected as best and getting prizes!

P.P.P.S PLEASE enter questions 1 comment at a time 1 comment = 1 question.
1. It lets me look at thumbs and comments on individual questions.
2. You get more chances for more prizes.
It is absolutely OK to enter and win multiple times.

P.P.P.P.S. There has been some comments on questions and some GeekMail I have received about questions people don't like. Trick questions are not liked. Extremely obscure questions where most people would have to blind guess are not liked. Questions that are liked are ones where if someone had seen the movie, or read the book, in question, they could reasonably be expected to make a guess that would be "near" the answer. Hope this helps.

New Update! 7/31/2013

Prizes for Week 1 & Week 2 have been Awarded!

Look after your name of your post to see if you won either $2 gg (Winner!) or $.50 (Runner-Up!)

Thanks for all who played! We received over 450 questions!

I did mess up some of the rewards (if you have a lot of thumbs on 1 question, but no geek gold, look at one of your other questions with geek gold and you may see that I gave you 2X your prize for 1 question and none for another.).

Working on the final PDF.

Week 1 Results

Category Count
Sci-Fi 119
Fantasy 44
Star Wars 28
Horror 23
Comic Books 15
Star Trek 15
Miscellaneous 5
Total 249

We could use some more Star Trek, Comic Book, Horror and Star Wars questions!

L

Due to a 2nd generous donation (this time by one of the admins of BGG (they know who they are!) of another $50 Geek Gold, I am able to DOUBLE THE PRIZES! Total Pot now $109 GG!

The original "prize pot" was due to a generous donation of 50 GG from a BGG user (Who cannot be named, but knows who they are. Thanks!) The prize schedule has been updated:

Instead of
Week 1 at least 36 $.25 GG tips to the best questions with
Week 2 unknown

The new and current prize schedule is:

End of Week 1: Midnight 7/17/2013
The top 15 questions from Week 1 (based on thumbs, comments, and my whims) will get $2 gg each
and the next best 50 questions will get $.50 gg each
(total pot Week 1 $55 gg).

AND

End of Week 2: Midnight 7/24/2013
The next set of top 15 questions from Week 2 (based on thumbs, comments, and my whims) will get $2 gg each
and the next best 48 questions will get $.50 gg each
(total pot Week 2 $54 gg).

Total Prize Pot overall $109 Geek Gold!

I'll keep track of who submits what questions and will provide that in the PDF and file I post here and to Dom. Thanks again for all the help!

L

BTW: To clarify on the final PDF cards.

My college Sci Fi group's interests are quite varied some sci-fi, some fantasy, some horror, some hard-core, some light, some books, some movies, some tv.

So for a round of Wits and Wagers to be "fair" each card will have to have a variety of questions on it. Hence the categories I am aiming for:
1. Star Wars
2. Star Trek
3. Science Fiction (rayguns and robots)
4. Fantasy (magic - but this can also include adventure like pirates or Indiana Jones)
5. Horror (usually blood also undead)
6. Comic Books (usually tights)
7. Miscellaneous (in case I get way more questions for one or two of the above categories and need to spread them out.)

This way when the group is broken up into teams, each team will need to know a little bit about a lot of different areas of Science Fiction fandom to do well.

Some ideas of sources of questions to get you started!

Star Trek
The Original Series
The Animated Series
TNG: The Next Generation
Deep Space Nine
Voyager
Enterprise
The movies

Star Wars
Episode I: The Phantom Menace
Episode II: Attack of the Clones
Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Episode IV: A New Hope
Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
Episode VI: The Return of the Jedi

Sci-Fi / Fantasy / Horror TV
Babylon V
Blake's 7
Doctor Who
Game of Thrones
Red Dwarf
The Walking Dead
Twilight Zone

Steven Spielberg
A.I. Artificial Intelligence
Close Encounters
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Jaws
Jurassic Park
Minority Report
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Lost World: Jurassic Park
War of the Worlds

James Cameron
Aliens
The Abyss
Strange Days
Terminator 1-3

Roland Emmerich
Eight Legged Freaks
Godzilla
Independence Day
Stargate
The Day After Tomorrow
Universal Soldier

Peter Jackson
Dead Alive
District 9
King Kong
Lord of the Rings
The Frighteners
The Hobbit

Frank Marshall
Arachnaphobia
Back to the Future
Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Goonies
Gremlins
Poltergeist
Raiders
Signs
Sixth Sense

Hayao Miyazaki
Castle in the Sky
Howl’s Moving Castle
Kiki
Mononoke
Nausicaa
Spirited Away
Totoro

Sam Raimi
30 Days of Night
Darkman
Drag Me to Hell
Hercules
Legend of the Seeker
Oz the Great and Powerfull
Spider-Man
The Evil Dead
The Grudge
TimeCop
Xena

Will Smith
Hancock
I am Legend
I Robot
Independence Day
Men in Black 1-3
Wild Wild West

Paul Verhoven
Hollow Man
Robocop
Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles
Starship Troopers
Total Recall

Robert Zemeckis
Back to the Future I-III
Beowulf
Contact
Death Becomes Her
Frighteners
Monster House
Real Steel
Romancing the Stone
Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight

Comic Books
Amazing Spider-Man
Batman
Blade
Captain America
Fantastic Four
Green Lantern
Hellboy
Iron Man
League of Extraordiary Gentlemen
Sandman
Superman
The Incredible Hulk
The Incredibles
Thor
Unbreakable
V for Vendetta
Watchmen
X-Men

Miscellaneous
Armageddon
Chronicles of Narnia
Ghostbusters
Harry Potter
HG Wells
Inception
John Carter of Mars
Jules Verne
Planet of the Apes
Robert Heinlein
Star Gate
Super 8
The Hunger Games
The Matrix
Total Recall
Transformers
Wall-E
World War Z
X-Files

If you haven't played the game Tom Vasel of the Dice Tower demos the game well here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVmJhddoGYA

Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb

While it is much easier to have numerical answers for Wits and Wagers any list that can sorted from smallest to biggest could technically be used (especially if there is a moderator/judge/game show host).

An example of the game played at the Dice Tower Convention of 2012 with a host (Tom!) is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbd3d9vW87I

So how do you do a non-number question in Wits and Wagers?

The answer has to be something that is in a known range from smallest to largest. Preferably a range that has more than 5 items in it.

For Example:

You could ask a color question "What color are the Terminators Eyes?" and as long as the moderator can easily sort the answers in this case ROYGBIV (Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Indigo Violet), then the answers could be played Wits and Wagers style. And the answer "Red" is pretty clear cut so it would work OK.

Another one that would be OK is "What month is International Star Wars Day in". People would answer months January through December, but the judge could sort these easily.

I guess you could also do "What day of the week did Arthur Dent never get the hang of". Monday through Friday.... etc...

Although it might cause some arguments you could ask a question in the following format. "What animal is closest in weight to a VW Beetle?" Players would suggest animals and it would be up to the moderator/judge/host" to sort the animals from smallest to largest.

But this illustrates the problems of non-numerical answers. The judge has to know how much those animals weigh and the players have to agree. It is just much easier to ask "How much does a VW Beetle weigh". Not as funny, but much more clear cut game play-wise.

In general I would recommend BGG members participating in this contest stick to questions with numerical answers, or at least explain what extremely common range of non-numerical answers their answer relates to. For a "range" question to work it has to be a very common, known, agreed on range that is fairly large more than 5 or 6 items in the list. For example: Months, Days of the Week, Colors, an answer that is 1 letter of the alphabet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Frank
United States
Bloomfield
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: CONTEST! GeekGold for the best Wits and Wagers Style Sci-Fi, Fantasy, or Horror Trivia Questions

A sample Wits and Wager Format Fantasy Question would be:

Question: In Lord of the Rings (Book and Movie) by J.R.R Tolkien how many rings of power are there in total?

Hint (there are some rings for men, elves, dwarves, and dark lords).

Answer: 20

"Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for the Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Frank
United States
Bloomfield
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: CONTEST! GeekGold for the best Wits and Wagers Style Sci-Fi, Fantasy, or Horror Trivia Questions
A sample Wits and Wager Format Science Fiction Question would be:

Question: In the Star Wars series (Movies) by George Lucas how many landing struts are on an X-Wing fighter?

Hint: Not a Y-Wing or Snow Speeder, an X-Wing.

Answer: 3

The landing struts can be seen when the Rebels, including Luke, are getting ready to fight the Death Star in Episode I: A New Hope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Category 2: Star Wars

In all the Star Wars movies (prequel trilogy and original trilogy) how many times is the phrase 'I have a bad feeling about this' (or something very similar to that) said by any character?

Hint: It's fewer than the number of parsecs in which the Millennium Falcon made the Kessel Run.

Answer: 8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Frank
United States
Bloomfield
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A sample Wits and Wager Format Comic Book Question would be:

Question: In the comic series Spider-Man (Comic Books, Movies, and TV) by Stan Lee at Marvel Comics how many mechanical arms does Spidey's villain Doctor Octopus, Doctor Otto Octavious, aka "Doc Ock" have?

Hint: Not more than 10.

Answer: 4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Silver
United States
Plainfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars question: How many times is the word "force" used in the six Star Wars films?

Hint: more than 40

Answer: 91

Source: moviefone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Silver
United States
Plainfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the movie Psycho, how much money did Marion steal from her boss?

Hint: less than $100,000

Answer: $40,000

Source: IMDB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
A little violent but makes for an interesting Sci-Fi question:

What is the total body count in the first Robocop movie?

Ans: 34

Source: moviebodycounts.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
And 1 for the Horror category:

In what year was prolific zombie movies director George A. Romero born?

Ans: 1940

Source: IMDb

zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
A large number answer for the Fantasy category:

What is the total strength of the Mordor army that besieged Minas Tirith?

Ans: 600,000

Source: IMDb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F.
United States
Shelton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fleefrank22001 wrote:

A sample Wits and Wager Format Horror Question would be:

Question: In the book Dracula (Book and Movies) by Bram Stoker what was the character Jonathan Harker's occupation?

Hint: Not a salesman.

Answer: A solicitor

Some great sample questions. But I'm confused how the Dracula one is a Wits and Wagers style question since it has nothing to do with numbers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the number of sacred daggers (Daggers of Megiddo) needed to kill Damien in the Omen films?

Ans: 7
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the total number of steps in the flight of steps featured at the end of the film "The Exorcist"?

Ans: 75
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben E
United Kingdom
Irthlingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The German Vampire film Nosferatu was released in which year?

How many episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer were aired?

According to the LOTR wik, in the Film "The Two Towers" how many elves were at Helms Deep?
302 (300 elves from Lorien + Haldir + Legolas).

How many years after the defeat of Sauron by the Last Alliance of Elves and Men was the One ring destroyed?

How old was Bilbo when he departed from the Grey Havens?

What was the running time of 1996 Slasher film Scream?
111 minutes

How many Academy Awards was the 1973 film "The Exorcist" nominated for?

How many human crew members were aboard the Nostromo in the 1976 film Alien?
6 (7 crew but Ash was an android).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben E
United Kingdom
Irthlingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the James Cameron Film 'Avatar' how tall on average were the Na'vi said to be in feet?
10ft

In the 2009 film "District 9" how many aliens are to be moved from District 9 to District 10?

1.8 million

In the 'Hunger Games' how many Districts are there?

13 (12 that contribute to the games and one that isn't talked about).

In Star Trek Into Darkness, how many long-range prototype photon torpedoes is the Enterprise supplied with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben E
United Kingdom
Irthlingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I thought you wanted multiple questions as I'm sure each wits and wagers card had about 8 questions on. I'll do them one at a time in future:

What was Anakin Skywalker's average speed when he won the Boonta Eve Classic Podrace in Km/h?
858km/h

source: Star Wars Wiki
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
In what year did 'Ringworld' win the Hugo?

Answer: 1971
(Nebula award in 1970, Locus in 1971)

The Ringworld circumference would be a nice question, but I can't be bothered to look it up right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
Firefly:

What was Jayne's cut of any take before he signed up on Serenity?
Answer: 7%

source: Out of Gas

edit: hat-tip to crambaza for minor correction to the phrasing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Wheel of Time:

How many Rods of Dominion were there in the Age of Legends?

Answer: 9

Source: The Eye of the World, Prologue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
KSR's Mars Trilogy:

In what year did John Boone first step on Mars?

Answer: 2020

source: Red Mars Chronology
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whymme wrote:
In what year did 'Ringworld' win the Hugo?

Answer: 1971
(Nebula award in 1970, Locus in 1971)

The Ringworld circumference would be a nice question, but I can't be bothered to look it up right now.

600 million miles.

I prefer the circumference as a question. Hugo (or other award) years might well be known by one (or more) people at the table and be less fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
When finishing "1984", how many years into the future did George Orwell set his dystopian novel?

Hint: Orwell lived between 1903-1950

Answer: 1984 was written/published in 1949 --> 35 years
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many members did the first Worldcon (World Science Fiction Convention) have.

Answer: 200. It was held in New York in 1939.
Source: http://www.smofinfo.com/LL/TheLongList.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
What is the number of the 'Jaws' movie seen in 'Back to the Future II'?

Hint: The movie is directed by Steven Spielberg's son Max and the tagline is "This time it's really really personal"

Answer: 19
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
According to estimates of Leonard McCoy, what is the lowest percentage of metabolism 'Tribbles' use for reproduction?

Hint: Tribbles might even born pregnant...

Answer: 50. McCoy concludes that tribbles use over fifty percent of their metabolism for reproduction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [18] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.