Popular Tags: [View All]
James Van
United States
Rexburg
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am getting this game i think but I play most games with my wife and I was wondering how good the two game is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game scales well with a variety of player numbers. I've played quite a few games of 2-person. Not as fun as with 3+, but still worth it, I would argue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Shepherdson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it mostly as a 2p game and have to say it works pretty well. In fact i would rather play it as 2p then 4p. Faster turns /lesser downtime and the bases dont change as much as a 4p game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It does fine as a 2P game. It's actually more controllable with 2 than with 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamesbv7 wrote:
I am getting this game i think but I play most games with my wife and I was wondering how good the two game is?

16.7% of people who voted, do not recommend it as a 2P game. another way of looking at it, is that 83.3% at least recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's still fun as a 2 player game, but you may need to change how you choose factions.

I say this because some combinations are impossible to defeat in a player game, for example running Zombie Aliens let me win without ever capturing a base before my girlfriend hit 5 victory points...

I don't know if it really helps, but me and a friend play it with an extremely short draft which helps us see factions more often (As with all 12 it's easy to overlook things!). We have a deck of factions, which we shuffle and draw 3 each of, then take 1 and pass on, take 1 of those and discard the last - Just stops the same old things from coming up every game! (And works up to 4 players too which is nice).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse G
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
waynez wrote:
I played it mostly as a 2p game and have to say it works pretty well. In fact i would rather play it as 2p then 4p. Faster turns /lesser downtime and the bases dont change as much as a 4p game.

well said, so true. 2p allows for way less analysis paralysis that plauged us with some games of 3p-4p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Van
United States
Rexburg
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks everyone that was really helpful. I got the game this morning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Alexander
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll throw my hat in as it not being a very good 2p game. I think part of the fun of the game is throwing around your cards and beating up other people with the variable powers and the like. With 2p you just slam on the same person over and over and we felt like it just wasn't as fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Shepherdson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
runim wrote:
I'll throw my hat in as it not being a very good 2p game. I think part of the fun of the game is throwing around your cards and beating up other people with the variable powers and the like. With 2p you just slam on the same person over and over and we felt like it just wasn't as fun.

Thats another way of saying 'there is no kingmaking issue in 2p games' =D
Dont know if you encounter this.
what if p1 and p2 had 12+ points.
2 of the bases are about to be scored,
would p3 break 1 base and let p1 score and win the game, or break the other base which p2 would win the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
youtube.com/neatozen
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
mbmbmbmbmb
waynez wrote:

I don't understand why play it in that order. if you play the 4p game first, you would finish in less time and the other 2 players wouldn't be bored watching.

if you play 2p first what would the other 2 players do? i guess they could play something else... then they would have to finish before you do for the 4p game.

such an odd thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
zenxacred wrote:
waynez wrote:

I don't understand why play it in that order. if you play the 4p game first, you would finish in less time and the other 2 players wouldn't be bored watching.

if you play 2p first what would the other 2 players do? i guess they could play something else... then they would have to finish before you do for the 4p game.

such an odd thing.

What he means is he likes 2 player Smash up more than 4 player. He is not suggesting that if you have 4 players you should play 2 player anyway.

If he has 4 players and they all want to play smash up than of course he is going to play a 4 player game. He's just saying that if he finds himself in a situation where he has a choice between playing 2 player and playing 4 player with all else equal he would choose to play 2 player.

I for one agree with him and personally I think the game plays best 3 player -> 2 Player -> 4 player. 4 player has horrible down time and reduced strategy due to more power potentially being played by opponents between your turns.

That being said I played a really great 2 player game the other week. My opponent really knew the game so we found our turns averaging less than 5 seconds each and it was a lightning paced game with his Trickster Bear Calvary doing their best to control the field against my never dieing Zombie Ninjas.

Ultimately my Zombie Ninjas managed to eek out the win by stealing a base with a Shinobi at the very last minute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Alexander
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
waynez wrote:
runim wrote:

Thats another way of saying 'there is no kingmaking issue in 2p games' =D
Dont know if you encounter this.
what if p1 and p2 had 12+ points.
2 of the bases are about to be scored,
would p3 break 1 base and let p1 score and win the game, or break the other base which p2 would win the game?

I'd have to disagree, I don't think my comment had anything to do with kingmaking. I'm merely stating that I find the game less fun as 2p than at any other number.

I've not encountered the situation you described before (I've also not played a ton of the game either), but again I don't think that has any bearing on the point I was trying to make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Shepherdson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
runim wrote:

I'd have to disagree, I don't think my comment had anything to do with kingmaking. I'm merely stating that I find the game less fun as 2p than at any other number.

I've not encountered the situation you described before (I've also not played a ton of the game either), but again I don't think that has any bearing on the point I was trying to make.

Nah.. no problem =D I have played the game most as 2p [it was a game I played during lunch for multiple weeks in a row.], and had maybe 10-15 games of 3-4p. Almost every 3 -4 player game had multiple situations where 'I can take you down and let the other guy score 2nd place' -its not that big of a deal since the game is pretty fast anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game plays well with two players, though I usually make it a "faster" game (first to 10VP) if the other player isn't familiar with the game or with CCGs in general... or if we are just waiting for a third person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
walter critzer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Not nearly as fun as a 3 or 4 player game, two player means one player will almost always score the points for first place and all the other player has to do is play one minion on a base to score 2nd place
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.