NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Riddle me this, grognards...

I'm looking for a wargame that:
- is in print and relatively easy to obtain (say something from GMT or MMP)
- is playable with two
- has a cardboard or (preferably) a mounted map in the box
- can be played in 5 hours or less
- preferably has multiple scenarios
- isn't a block game (I've got a couple of those already)
- has mature rules (preferably online living rules)
- has a complexity level somewhere betwixt Bonaparte at Marengo and EastFront (something like Wilderness War complexity wise would do)
- preferably has an obscure theme or system

A tall order, I know. Something like Storm Over Arnhem would do nicely, if something along those lines were in print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
You want to see pretty. Triumph of Chaos

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/15826

As how it plays, who knows. I'm still trying to get my hand on it. But it does look purdy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh, looks good. A bit on the long side (8-12 hours), but fits most of the other criteria. A valiant try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't played any of Mark Miklos' American Revolution series from GMT, how about Savannah?
http://boardgamegeek.com/game/17397

It meets all of your criteria I think, including the heavy cardstock map. Not many good American Revolution games out there, but this series has them. Definitely worth checking out and easy to obtain.

Or, if you wanted to try the series out, Guilford, which has a paper map, is on sale from GMT for $20!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
While they only have paper maps, take a look at GMT's and Ben Hull's Musket and Pike Battle Series of games. They focus on European warfare in the age of, well, muskets and pikes, basically most of the 1600's. There are three games out currently; This Accursed Civil War (English Civil War), Sweden Fights On (Thirty Years War), and Under the Lily Banners (also Thirty Years War). Relatively obscure topics for current wargames with a very nice system, especially where command and control is concerned. Ben Hull designed them, if I understand it correctly, so that most of the choices you have to make as a player are the same as commanders at the time had to make. He used a lot of primary sources, including period training manuals, to create the system. Take a quick look and see if it's something you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Savannah looks interesting, though from the description it looks like very little of the map is used. What about Bitter Woods 4th Ed -- would that be suitable, and is it in print?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
Savannah looks interesting, though from the description it looks like very little of the map is used. What about Bitter Woods 4th Ed -- would that be suitable, and is it in print?

Don't know about suitable, as I have the 2nd edition AH version, but it's in print available from L2:
http://www.l2designgroup.com/Deluxe%20Bitter%20Woods.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rintoul
Switzerland
Nyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try Paths of Glory, although the map in the box isn't cardboard I believe you can upgrade to a deluxe map for around AUD22.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in Paths of Glory, but I hear that it takes 10 or more hours to play, which is too long for me. And having to buy the board separately for an extra twenty bucks is a dealbreaker for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Van Morrison and Joey DeFrancesco - You're Driving Me Crazy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much all of the GMT games are paper maps. If that's OK, take a look at Grand Illusion:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/12282

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Mack
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, my suggestion fails the obscure period part, but you might take a look at MMP's Mighty Endeavor. I just recently picked up a copy of this myself, the rules are pretty easy to learn, the system is simple and streamlined, and it's got a nice-although somewhat "busy"-map. The map is paper also. I haven't played it FTF yet, but let me tell you, I even loved the scenario I tried solitaire.

Jamie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Feldman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been interested in The Might Endeavor, but I'm curious about it's playing time. Isn't it in the 10 to 12 hour range?

Ken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Mack
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
hmm, you know, I can't remember. I know there's the full campaign,and a couple more shorter scenarios, but I can't comment on the length. I'm already wanting to get some more games in the SCS series just from what I've seen with ME.

Jamie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Pruitt
United States
waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought was Age of Napoleon - except for the obscure theme, it hits your other points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bitter Woods 4th edition would fit the bill nicely and is available. Several of the online sites that carry wargames sell it for around $60 (US). It certainly has the mature rules you asked for and the map is really nice as are the larger and more colorful counters. It's also not a difficult game either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion would be Fire in the Sky (MMP). Very unique, beautiful board (but paper, alas) and plays in about 5-6 hrs after you get the hang of the mechanics (which are very different from anything else I have played).

This game is very mature, due to the fact that it was already a well-developed Japanese release before being ported to English and has an updated rulebook to fix what minor flaws there were. Fast-paced and exciting, as well. Definitely a gem.

EDIT: not sure about an obscure theme in the Pacific, but this theater definitely does not have a decent game at this scale (very abstract).

EDIT#2: Oooooo.. and Australia plays a major role in the victory conditons!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thee Insidius Doktor Glaze & His Sidekick Donut Boy with the Amazing Monkeytime Dancers Ooh!
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I_have_heard_the_mermaids_singing,_each_to_each. I_do_not_think_that_they_will_sing_to_me... We_have_lingered_in_the_chambers_of_the_sea By_sea_girls_wreathed_with_seaweed_red_and_brown Till_human_voices_wake_us,_and_we_drown
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a little on the lighter side, but have you looked at A House Divided, the new version by Phalanx?

The American Civil War is not obscure, but the game nicely meets almost all of the criteria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for your fine suggestions. I'll consult my local wargame dealer and see if I can get my hands on any of these locally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The First World War, by Phalanx. Ted Racier is the designer. It's not the same game as Paths of Glory - lighter fare, and shorter playing time. Playable with 2,3, or 4 people. Nifty mechanics and beautiful, mounted mapboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dow Jones
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
ATS http://www.criticalhit.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

How about Lock n Load?

Two player, gorgeous mounted maps, many scenarios,
under 5 hours for a scenario.

The ASL Starter Kits are another good choice but the maps are not
mounted.

Of course most SL, ASL, ATS scenarios play under
5 hours but you need lots of time to ramp up on the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out avalanche press gazala 1942

That is a faux aged map. Really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's awesome! wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also check out following hex and counter games:

1-Bitter Woods (L2Design Group)

Alternatively:

2-Ardennes '44 (GMT)
3-Roads to Leningrad (GMT)
4-Fallschirmjaeger (The Gamers) - available online with store4war (France)This is the German Market Garden May '40 in Holland

Bitter Woods would suit you perfectly as it has:

Beautiful Map - Cardboard
Fantastic Counters
Various Scenario's
Playable in 5 hours or less
Mature rules
(In addittion An expansion game will be published this summer)

Bitter woods is not an obscure theme though, Fallschirmjaeger is!!

You won't regret any of these four games.

Curious what your decision will be!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm leaning towards Bitter Woods at this point, but it's expensive and a bit hard to find around here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.