Subject: Player limit be damned? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay C.
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
So, my group and I played King of Monsters last night. HUGE hit! We had 6 players but 1 of our regulars couldn't make it. For future games, we could add a seventh player, right? Maybe even an eighth if we had enough monsters...? Hmm??
Does anyone ever go beyond the player limit? Game night is becoming quite popular at work and I don't want to keep playing the same "party" games every week.

And can you do it with pandemic?....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I reckon that Pandemic might get really hard as you exceed the player cap, the game has a fixed number of turns (based on drawing two cards per turn until the deck is gone) so you'd get less turns/player, which would make it much harder for any individual to obtain the five cards for a cure. Doesn't mean you can't do it.

I've exceeded the cap in a few games, sometimes it works and sometimes it didn't. It had the odd effect in Shadows of us being certain that there was a traitor rather than the usual "is there/isn't there" thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Leidich
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally have not tried to extend beyond player limits, in some games you simply can't due to lack of components or board space but in other games I think you'll find it breaks the flow or the game - though that doesn't mean it won't be fun!

If your group is growing then firstly, congrats! That's awesome.

Secondly, consider having several game options available and don't be afraid to split into two smaller groups. The bigger your group gets the more likely you'll have a situation where a game doesn't appeal to one or a few people.

If you want to get away from party games and still try to include as many players as possible consider some of these games:

Arkham Horror plays up to 8 as does Elder Sign.
The Resistance plays up to 10. I see you already own this.
Saboteur plays up to 10.
Formula D plays up to 10.
Zombie Dice plays up to 99. (sorry couldn't resist) and this...
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game plays up to 7 if you get the Pegasus expansion.
Citadels plays up to 8.
Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients takes Eclipse up to 9 players.

I don't know King of Monsters, did you mean King of Tokyo? I haven't played that myself (I will next week when my buddy visits though) so I'm not sure how stretching the limit will affect the gameplay.

I think if you add more people to base Pandemic you will start to make it too easy to win. On the Brink adds an extra player with the "Bio-terrorist" and the newer In the Lab expansion takes that up to 6 but I'm not familiar with it so I'm not sure how.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Leidich
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
x_equals_speed wrote:
I reckon that Pandemic might get really hard as you exceed the player cap, the game has a fixed number of turns (based on drawing two cards per turn until the deck is gone) so you'd get less turns/player, which would make it much harder for any individual to obtain the five cards for a cure. Doesn't mean you can't do it.

Oh, I forgot about the deck running out so maybe it wouldn't make it easier (at least not all the time). My thoughts on my previous post were that players would be spread out on the board enough to potentially avoid outbreaks entirely and be close enough to each other to be able to exchange cards more easily, even with hand offs between multiple players if your board positions lined up with turn order well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meredith
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Everybody I know needs what I'm selling.
mbmbmbmbmb
If by King of Monsters, you mean King of Tokyo, then yes, we do indeed go above player limit sometimes in that very game (to great success, I might add).

Forbidden Island also gets played above four sometimes (with some rule modifications).

Other than that, the other games on my shelf would be impossible (or downright silly) to play over the limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did Descent 2ndED with 6 players (1 overlord and 5 heroes), I just had to do some improvised monster buffing / inserting extra monsters to try and make it balanced.
This was done on the fly

For some games u can look in their variant forum to see if there is any variant made that allows u to break the player limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rangerx wrote:
Oh, I forgot about the deck running out so maybe it wouldn't make it easier (at least not all the time). My thoughts on my previous post were that players would be spread out on the board enough to potentially avoid outbreaks entirely and be close enough to each other to be able to exchange cards more easily, even with hand offs between multiple players if your board positions lined up with turn order well.

I thought about that, but I didn't reckon that it would have a big impact with the turn infrequency. With five turns between players it's concievable that an outbreak could appear on your city and explode before you even had a turn.

That being said, I think that the game designer agrees with you, if I remember right 'On the Brink' provides an extra epedemic card and only recommends it for five players (The extra player can be a regular player, bioterrorism is optional)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you download and print the extra survivor cards, then Zombicide can be played with more than 6.

Of course, the more survivors you field, the easier the game gets, and with large numbers there is a problem of not having enough weapons.

But, the lack of difficulty issue is easily mitigated (just add more zombie spawns), and the limited weapon supply is only a problem when you've got about a dozen or more survivors in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My old group once played (and enjoyed!) Liar's Dice (published for 2-6) with 14 players...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm usually pretty wary of exceeding the player cap as it usually results in a highly subpar experience.

I did an 8 player BSG game that went on forever and was totally lopsided. I think player elimination becomes more of a problem with King of Tokyo and adding more players means someone will be sitting out longer.

Many games just get longer without any equivalent increase in fun.

But, there's nothing to stop anyone from doing it. And if your group still likes it with increased players, then more power to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.