Konrad Anft
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Late as this thread is, the game is not.

I started to develop this game for the PNP Hidden Role / Bluffing Card game Design Contest 2013 - WIN 305GG around a month ago. An early playtest revealed that there are some issues which needed fixing - and I hope that I solved them.

So....without further ado:

The game.

Mechanical Assassins are traveling back in time to kill John C.
The Resistance Fighters send back their Agents to protect him.

That sounds familiar?

Well, it really really should.

If you are not familiar with this context, please check out some american Movies from the years 1984, 1991, 2003, and (if you have to) 2009 as well.

This game is based mostly on the series, which was aired from 2007 till 2009.

Since I don't have any rights to the material used within that franchise, I rely on the abilities of the players to remember what happens, who does it, and why it could not have happened any other way.

Because, here is where my game spins off. In the series, which I admit, I like very much, Cameron saves a chip of another Machine, without telling John... I always imagined that she would need to save that chip, because later it would be reprogrammed to become her chip - but the series failed to fulfill my expectations, and thus destroyed the chip in a later episode.

But the idea stuck with me, and so it sat for a while in a drawer in my brain and didn't move. Why would Cameron disobey a direct order? What reasons would she have? What if... ? Why if...? How...?

And since time travel allows for soooo many questions, which never really need to make sense, here it is...

A hidden role game, with time travel, which avoids the things that I generally find annoying in such games. Yes, I admit it, I play The Resistance: Avalon when I have to... but only if. I generally find the vast amounts of lying and talking to be annoying when it goes on for too long. Two games in a row are fine... but five is just... not for me.

So... about the game:

Each character comes with three cards. You grab one of the three-card piles from the table, and select which two cards to keep. Each unrevealed card as a value of 1 Light and 1 Pistol, while the revealed cards often have different values (thus your anonymous character gets more and more revealed)

You also get a team card - you are either part of the supporters of the Mechanical Assassins, or are a Resistance Fighter.

Depending on your team, your hidden goals change. And since those goals are on your character cards (of which you discarded one) no one knows a) who you are, nor b) what team you are on, nor c) what your goals are.

Sounds weird?

Well... this game involves time travel... so what did you expect?

As you can see the other focus on the game lies in different time locations.
The hole group of players travels to these time locations.
Some members have to obtain certain items from certain time locations.
These can be from the actual time line (or from an imagined alternative time line), from the movies, or the series.

The active player gets to choose what the group could do right now - solve the mission (at the time location), relocate to another time location, or attack or hack another member of the group.

Whatever her/his decision, the players will probably vote on it. The Group splits into two - for the decision or against. So you can vaguely see who is on whose side (much like in The Castle of the Devil).
When you hack someone, you get to know that players team affiliation.
When you attack an unknown character you get you reveal (for all to see) a character card.
Any revealed character that is attacker can die. But since time travel is involved, it is only a "possible death" - that will only come true, when the time location that she/he was killed at is part of the "certain past" (aka the discard pile). A possible death can be prevented for the mission cost that the dead character is located at.

Sounds confusing? Well... that's why I am working on the rules, currently....

I will keep you all posted.

-Konrad

PS: Sadly the time is running away... so I will not be able to provide the game with nice graphics... here is a preview of what might have been part of the game, had time not run that quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Way cool!

Weird thing: I did not immediately associate Time Travel with the movie and TV series implied in this thread. Cuz ... well, the movies always really dealt with the struggle of here-and-now. And I didn't manage to follow the TV series past the first five episodes.

That said, I encourage you to keep going!

I'll be back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pierce
United States
salinas
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wait, so you can find out if a person is a traitor, and then they continue playing if that particular timeline gets cancelled out? What happens afterwards? everyone knows they're a killer robot now.
I'm thinking to keep the fun of hidden roles and such, and playing off the time travel theme, a player could choose to go to a specific time and change the team affiliation of another player(or secretly keep them on the same team)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad Anft
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sakket wrote:
wait, so you can find out if a person is a traitor, and then they continue playing if that particular timeline gets cancelled out?

No... you can find out that they are in the opposing team - and try to stop them.

They will continue to play until the end of the game - since player elimination is prohibited in this contest.

And not everybody working for the sky.net is a robot.

In fact, my game offers only two true Mechanical Assassins, and they are only slightly stronger than the average player.

Quote:
...and playing off the time travel theme, a player could choose to go to a specific time and change the team affiliation of another player(or secretly keep them on the same team)

While that is an interesting idea, this is impossible to incorporate into this game, since team cards (like everything else in a 54 card limit) are taking up a lot of space in the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad Anft
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sorry to inform all interested users, that this project is currently on hold.

Playtesting showed that the game is nowhere near the stage or depth that I want it to be... so you will sadly have to wait... probably a long while till I will update this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergii Arnaut
Netherlands
Almere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Isn't it a laser sniper rifle from xcom3 in the first post?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.