Popular Tags: [View All]
Amy
United States
Saint Charles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, so I was considering Blue Moon. I end up in 2-player situations a lot and like to expand my 2-player collection. I hear good things about it - it's cards (I have better luck getting 2-player games to the table when they are cards), it's my buddy Reiner, sounds cool...let's take a look at it. So I go browse the shots on the game's website.

Men get to wear: loincloths, skirts, armor of all kinds, sometimes pants. I may have given up too soon, but I have yet to run across one with merely a fig leaf.

Women get to wear: nothing basically. Long braids whose ends barely cover nipples. A ferocious pose with a swinging hand to cover nether regions, apparently temporarily cause I ain't even seein' a thong string behind it. Pasties. Bare butts. Ewww.

Sorry, guys, I can't buy this game. I don't feel like looking at naked women while playing a game. yuk

Probably the loss of female customers is more than made up for by the increased drooling-male purchases. laugh Which is fine. Just seemed like it might have been a nice game and now I'm too annoyed with it to even bother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule #1 of fantasy: Weather permitting, all fair maidens shall be scantily-clad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy
United States
Saint Charles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:

[missing the point]

The point is over there ------>

The annoying thing is not the nudity, it's the selective nudity. The tribal, barbaric men in other decks seem have found ways to keep their skin warm on chilly nights. Those poor tribal, barbaric chicks, otoh, are gonna freeze!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I refuse to play as the Terrah. All those bared muscles make me uncomfortable.

Seriously, though... the Mimix are a tribal people, as mentioned, and are illustrated accordingly. The women of the peoples other than the Mimix are all clothed - some in as little as a bikini but many more are wearing full outfits.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Glover
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I for one am mighty glad that the Hoax women are clothed. BLECH!

On a more useful note, the game is quite playable without the Mimix. Yes, a Mimix card or two appears elsewhere, but it's rare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Whatever Reiner wants, Reiner gets...

(joke)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually...now that I think about it, those eels and giant squid in the Aqua deck don't wear any clothes at all! surprise

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Van Voorn
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are seven other decks to play with...

Otherwise, make your own deck laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Van Voorn
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
those eels and giant squid in the Aqua deck don't wear any clothes at all!

No, they should wear rubber suits, only they have not invented rubber yet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone for a game of "Busen Moon"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Can you immagine if they showed wangs on the cards? I'd expect some people to actually have strokes!

Only if they could reach.

Thank you very much. I'm here all week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Nguyen
Australia
Bungarribee
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get your panties out of the twist they're in (I'll assume you wear panties). I totally don't understand why girls get so worked up over things like this. Oh no - mammary glands! I can only assume its some (I'm sure you'll deny it) "jealousy" issue. Like - oh no guys are seedy little creatures who only buy Mimix to check out the hotzor bodies and then that raises their expectations of what my body should be...or something...Whatever laugh

Don't you think your reaction is a little extreme? You do realise you can pretty much avoid the majority (you'll still encounter 1 per other deck) of Mimix cards don't you? Just don't buy the flaming deck.

I feel inclined to add the typically cliched line "Your loss".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smit
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
I find the strategic covering of every single nipple in the entire mimix deck far more offensive than the fact that they are naked. When did we all become so ashamed of our own bodies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, trying to have a sense of decency will get you called a prude every time.

Try justifying nudity in real life the way it's justified in this game, or at least by the people that have repsonded in favor of bare Mimix:

Oh no, it's o.k. She doesn't have to wear clothes, she's a slut. It's perfectly appropriate for people of that subculture to be exposed to whomever, or wherever...

Besides all that, Amy's already pointed out that simple nudity is not the issue. Clearly, those girls aren't nude just because they come from a tribal culture. Look at the way they're illustrated honestly, and you can't argue that with any conviction.

She makes a good point, leaver 'er alone. It's obviously a valid concern for her, among others, and those others probably include a large amount of people... but they'll never be in the majority. So what?

Y'all can disagree without resorting to insult.

-ZZ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Amy has a point here. The depiction is gratuitous and unnecessary and encourages the exploitation of women. If I want a deck of cards showing naked women I can buy a regular 52 card pack...

Similar remarks would apply if they were clothed so that no part of their body was shown, with gauze for the eyes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smit
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Philip Thomas wrote:
I think Amy has a point here. The depiction is gratuitous and unnecessary and encourages the exploitation of women.

Your notion that a naked women is a sex object encourages the exploitation of women, not these cards.

Quote:

Similar remarks would apply if they were clothed so that no part of their body was shown, with gauze for the eyes.

So women can be depicted dressed within the norms of a christian western society and anything else is inappropriate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mateybob wrote:
I find the strategic covering of every single nipple in the entire mimix deck far more offensive than the fact thay they are naked

Why? Oh, right. It's because this 'strategy' is clearly intended to play up, rather than downplay, the fact that these women are naked (in a sensual and, I might add, not-game-related way). The illustrations are about women as sex objects. Like Roger Rabbit's wife.

This is the same 'strategy' that, outside of games, has resulted in the thong, and the string bikini (Not to mention the entire idea of lingerie, not that there's anything wrong with lingerie, but it illustrates my point). A little 'strategic' covering is often the very best way of emphasizing sexuality.

This is the same thing that's wrong with Skeletor's earlier comment about Venus vs David. Clearly, the intent in those pieces was not to emphasize sexuality, but to praise the beauty of the human form.

If that were the intent of these cards, I'd bet good money our Amy would love them for their artistic integrity, and for the beauty they represented! As would you, given your earlier comment. As would I.

The way these women are depicted, and the reasoning that caused them to be shown so... NOT their lack of clothing is the issue, and YOU'VE taken exception to it as well!

-ZZ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My notion is part of the normal belief system of Western Society. Given that people treat naked women as sex objects, depicting naked women encourages this attitude.

Like any other product, they should respect the norms of the culture they are being sold in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smit
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Paul i think youre taking that sentence completely out of context there. My point was that its ridiculous that we cant even show a nipple in a game - and even if you cover it people are evidently going to get offended at seeing the human body.
Theres nothing overtly sexual about these cards (not that there would even be anything wrong with that imo) beyond what your imagination might want to insert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Nguyen
Australia
Bungarribee
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul I have an innocent question for you and anyone else who cares to answer for it intrigues me.

Do you approve/disapprove of billboards you pass by everyday depicting people in said string bikinis and gstrings? Billboards are sized such that you can't avoid them if you tried. Kids pass by them everyday.

Examples of such nudity can be seem in Calvin Klein ads or ads for gyms who often have a side profile of a woman where you slightly just can't see her nipple but you have a clear shot view of her rear and chest.

[edit] typos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
Now tell me Amy, how exactly would you like the Mimix, which are meant to be a tribal, barberic race, to dress? Would you like long burkas or Furry T-shirts and chastity belts?

Please don't tell me you really think women in a "tribal, barberic {sic} race" are going to be running around in pasties and thongs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gibson
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a pretty old debate so far as fantasy art is concerned. As a general rule I have no objections to nude or semi-nude depictions of male or females in art. Fantasy art has a long history of dressing women in outfits that belong on strippers rather than warriors, priestess, or rogues of some sort. Chainmail bikni anyone?

I don't play Blue Moon but you can see examples of the artwork on the cards right here on the BGG. Check out picture 45110 and you'll see that the leader of the Mimex is dressed like a hooker. I don't object on any moral grounds I just happen to think that it looks silly.

Marc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the double standard of women being offended by topless females and not by topless males, especially in regards to cultures other than Western. I've never seen a complaint from a woman that a man is baring his chest for all the world to see.

I've rarely (maybe even never) seen a man complain about the endless examples of bare-chested male illustrations that games have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really want to get this game, but my wife would never play it with me, due to the skimpy attire. Darn. My wife is my main gaming partner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Nguyen
Australia
Bungarribee
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark there's no reason not to get into Blue Moon! I think people are failing to understand that none of the other races are even remotely skimpy in a sexual manner! All you have to do is buy the main set which comes with the ever hideous Hoax (my favourite race) and the fiery Vulca and you're set for life (though personally those two races aren't fun to verse each other with).

Don't let the fact that one race deck (Mimix) has alot of female bodies! You don't even need that deck to play. There's loads of other races that aren't skimpy with more races to be released. You can avoid it altogether! You don't know what you're missing out on...although to be honest it seems that not that many females actually like Blue Moon anyway shake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.