Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Zachary
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

How can WPY be ranked 1104 as a war game if commenters give it a 8.11 rating as of this post????

Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sharpe1813 wrote:
Hi,

How can WPY be ranked 1104 as a war game if commenters give it a 8.11 rating as of this post????

Any ideas?

There's only 50 ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Berry
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG has anti-shill protection built into its rating systems to prevent a game with just a few ratings becoming a top rated game. This also prevents good small audience games from moving up the ranks. The exact math behind the function is secret but basically, if a game doesn't have a significant number of raters it will never move to high up the game ranking chart regardless of the rankings of the raters it does have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zachary
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all.

I must be right, Greg (for once ).

I am surprised how "sneaky" the algorithms are behind BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zachary
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"anti-shill"

Greg: Don't you mean "anti-shrill????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Bogucki
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sharpe1813 wrote:
Hi,

Any ideas?

It's because one of our biggest fans only rated us 7.5 (less than average!) surprise

Also the overall rank is just over 4,000. I would absolutely love to see it get down into the top 1,000 someday, but that will take some time I suppose.

The algorithims more specifically include 100 rankings averaged in of 5.5
Also BGGers who are "new users" don't receive full value of their ratings toward the rankings.

As tempted as I may have been, I've never rated this myself, nor have I ever asked a personal friend to rate it, all though a couple of them have. I have even asked a couple of guys who bought it (personal friends) specifically not to rate it, because they are not gamers, but bought it because they thought it would be cool to own it since they know me. When they heard me talking about the rating they said they would rate it and I asked them specifically not to, and they didn't.

Having said all of this, I have on occasion asked folks that post on these boards, have played it and enjoyed it if they would consider giving us a rating.

I only check the rating three or four times a day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zachary
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry wrote:

Quote:
It's because one of our biggest fans only rated us 7.5 (less than average!) surprise

WHO could you be talking about????whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Bogucki
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sharpe1813 wrote:
Larry wrote:

Quote:

WHO could you be talking about????whistle

LOL

Hey, you did start this thread right?

I guess on the bright side we on page 11 of 75 of wargame rankings and on page 47 of 656 of total game rankings.

The glass IS half full! and getting even more full... hopefully
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.