Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Shay
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Must a disciple take a legal action if possible OR may they just be returnrd to the house?
This is only a concern in the market or red light district, where you would have to buy or sell, even if you didn't want to. Perhaps extremely rarely at the castle where you might not want to take a new mission (only if it interfered with a specific bonus card). All other spaces give you a foresight move that can't hurt you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Minken
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Connect More to your family, friends, and community over a board game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Short Answer: They can simply be returned to your clan house. Although all disciples MUST be assigned, they don't have to do anything for you.

Rule book explanations below:

The Assigning Phase (page 9):
A player must assign all his Disciples, even if he would rather not.
Cowardice and laziness have no place in Yedo!

The Action Phase (page 10):
Note: As long as you still have Disciples on the game board or on Annexes you must activate one of them in your turn, even if you would rather not. (If you cannot do anything useful, return it to your Clan House anyway).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Shay
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule seems ambiguous if you CAN do an action, even though it is clear if you can't do any action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can simply return your disciple if you can t do anything. You can also return him if you don t want to do anything ( because of changes happening just before yor turn, or you change your mind) .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
Our HOUSE RULE is that we force players to do one of the actions in the district if they are able even though the rules state you may return them without taking one of the actions. IMO it reveals information that could be garnered in the bidding phase and makes for an interesting game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Shay
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Hoping to get it out for folks to see Sunday at the Totalcon Summer Sizzler in Mansfield, MA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice houserule Robert

Thanks for spreading the game Richard! enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmshay wrote:
The rule seems ambiguous if you CAN do an action, even though it is clear if you can't do any action.

The actual rule says, "If you cannot do anything useful, return it to your Clan House anyway." 'useful' is a subjective word. It seemed pretty clear to me that that meant player's choice. In which csae, yes, it would have been more clear if the rules explicitly listed taking the action as optional, rather than color it with subjectivity.

Speaking of subjective rules, I couldn't believe what I was seeing when I read this: "If two or more players want to play a similar Action Card at the exact same moment (and they cannot work it out in any other way), the player farther up the Player Order Track goes first and the others follow accordingly." Why add the "and they cannot work it out in any other way" part? What "other ways" are players supposed to use? Arm wrestle? Spitting contest? See who can recite Pi to more digits?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:

The actual rule says, "If you cannot do anything useful, return it to your Clan House anyway." 'useful' is a subjective word. It seemed pretty clear to me that that meant player's choice.

Agreed. Plus the descriptions of each district say, "Here your Disciple can take one of the following actions:" (emphasis mine). That pretty much made it clear to us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ConnectMore wrote:

The Assigning Phase (page 9):
A player must assign all his Disciples, even if he would rather not.
Cowardice and laziness have no place in Yedo!

The Action Phase (page 10):
Note: As long as you still have Disciples on the game board or on Annexes you must activate one of them in your turn, even if you would rather not. (If you cannot do anything useful, return it to your Clan House anyway).

This question appeared today has we were playing our first game of Yedo, and although Thomas as already given the Designer answer that's not what we got from reading the rules...

As stated above, you must place all disciples even if we would rather not...
And then says "As long as you still have Disciples on the game board or on Annexes you must activate one of them in your turn, even if you would rather not."
For us ACTIVATE the disciple is doing one of the actions or completing a mission... returning him to the clan house and doing nothing isn't activating, is just Laziness and Cowardice and as stated in the rules, such things have no place in Yedo...

If indeed we can just place a disciple and then choose to do nothing this part of the rules are poorly written...

Is it indeed this way Thomas? Can we just choose do nothing we a Disciple?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played many times now, it feels pretty obvious that you can take a guy off without doing anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robman wrote:
Our HOUSE RULE is that we force players to do one of the actions in the district if they are able even though the rules state you may return them without taking one of the actions. IMO it reveals information that could be garnered in the bidding phase and makes for an interesting game.

That's interesting, I assume this rule does not apply for Annexes though?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently that s something not very straightforwardnin the rules.
You can decide to jist take a disciple away without dog a thing.
Because of the guard or opponents you can end in a situation where doing somethg with your disciple would even be worse than doing nothing.
Than you can decide to just let him go home. No cowardness about being smart and save your power for a next attempt .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Robman wrote:

That's interesting, I assume this rule does not apply for Annexes though?

Not really. It applies also to the annexes. However, when we use this house rule, we are normally using the ammex's ability and not its action. For example, as a geisha or blessing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies... I personally don't agree with it but I have to comply

Great game Thomas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:
Thanks for the replies... I personally don't agree with it but I have to comply

Great game Thomas

You are welcome to play the game however you like. Especially when it comes to your group. If you want to play it differently, just let your group know before game start and roll from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The world would ne a boring place of we all agree .
As robert saus, you are free to play with your group as you wish.
I just tell you how we meant to play. But you vought the game, you play the game and you re supposed to have fun
So if you like it more that you have to use the action , tj please don t hesitate!

Enjoy!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.