Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night my friend Steve and I sat down for a game of CC. While waiting for Steve to show I was debating whether to roll up a random scenario or play a pre-set one. Having printed out several of the scenarios from the database here at BGG I decided to set up the tournament scenario "Annihilation' from the 2011 Prezcon event.

Being a tournament scenario, I figured it would be a balanced one, but after setting up it seemed like it would be target practice for the Germans. The scenario is played on map 22 in a wide format. The Germans have three 2 point objectives to protect in the lower right corner of the map. The Germans also have two trenches and a bunker at their disposal. As the attackers the Russians start two rows deep and have to cross fairly open terrain to get to the German held objectives.

The Germans are set up with 3 SS squads, one elite team, one leader, one heavy machine gun, two light mg's and a medium mortar. All in all some pretty substantial firepower to unleash on the relatively unprotected Russian units. The Russians on the other hand have two leaders and 10 SMG Guard units. A '12' radio is also on hand. They have fairly substantial firepower, but must get in fairly close to use it. And so is the problem for the Russian player.

The Russians do not have boxed movement so smoke grenades are not going to happen. The 12 radio has no smoke capability either. The 12 impact of the radio is very good, but negated somewhat by the bunker and trenches. The Russians could push to their right and gain some cover moving down the road which is flanked by orchards, but it is more a light hinderance to the Germans. The road negates the cover of the orchards for the Russians.

In our game Steve played the Russians and tried a full on straight drive to the objectives. I broke several of his units and eliminated five of his before a single one of mine was lost. Later in the game Steve had some success with moving units toward the road on my left as I ran out of fire cards. After getting shot up pretty bad on my right, Steve's Russians took out one of my oblectives, but I was far ahead in points. It wasn't long after that the game ended on the second sudden death roll.

Has anyone else played this scenario? If so, what tactics were employed as the Russians? I see this as a meat grinder for them. It seems even if the Russians can get in close they have no firepower left to make a dent.

Any feedback is appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 2011 Prezcon Scenario - Annihalation
Oh, and I forgot the Russians do start with 2 satchel charges, but the only time Steve got close enough to use them, he decided to melee insted. He won the melee and took the objective I was in.

The Germans also had two weapon teams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
kinga1965 wrote:
The 12 impact of the radio is very good, but negated somewhat by the bunker and trenches.

Haven't played the scenario, but just wanted to mention that a result of 8 on the fire attack roll would destroy the fortification in the target hex prior to any defense rolls being made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Collars
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With this scenario I always preach patience as the Soviets.

Call in the arty, try to allow it to do the heavy work. Then skirt to the Soviet right and approach the Axis position from the flank.

I know, I know easier said than done but that is the approach I'd take.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
NinetySixer wrote:

Hard for the Russians to sit tight since they have so many units and so little cover at the start. But that probably is still the best bet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
kinga1965 wrote:
The 12 impact of the radio is very good, but negated somewhat by the bunker and trenches.

Haven't played the scenario, but just wanted to mention that a result of 8 on the fire attack roll would destroy the fortification in the target hex prior to any defense rolls being made.

Richard,

Thanks for pointing that out. We were aware of it, but no 8's were rolled...without the bunker and trenches, I think the story may have been a bit different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NinetySixer wrote:
With this scenario I always preach patience as the Soviets.

Call in the arty, try to allow it to do the heavy work. Then skirt to the Soviet right and approach the Axis position from the flank.

That's probably sound advice coming from the scenario's designer! Steve did make some in roads with this approach, but it wasn't until late in the game he tried to flank me. I did have the heavy machine gun positioned to my left to protect that flank and he may have been afraid of it at first.

Thank you much for the input!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

This is our 2nd round scenario in the First Minnesota Historical Wargame Society 2015 CC tourney: 1st MN Combat Commander Tournament II: Electric Boogaloo

Will let you know how the bloodbath goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
No fair scouting, Herr Dr!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I posted a link for you scallywags to this board - and I drew the local CC shark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.