Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm usually not inclined to post session reports, but my first game with battle pack 5 was so exhilirating that I can't refrain from sharing the story with my fellow geeks.
I was playing the Allies (defending the bunkers!) while my friend Faqtotum was handling the Germans.

I'll spare you the usual details because I want to get down to the real meat of the session: it was an absolute blood bath. Casualties kept mounting at an alarming rate, mainly because we had very deadly melees.

The Germans started the game by converging on the first of my bunkers (on my right), blew up the bunker, and then charged inside the ruins to take out my battered guys. I was pretty much done for unless the Germans had a very low roll... which they had! In fact, the German roll created a tie with my total, and I decided to hold on to the initiative (which I'd gotten a few turns earlier) and let everything go to the casualty track. It was a pretty even exchange of points, and I couldn't really hope for a better outcome anyway.

Fast-forward a few turns later, when the Germans try to take on a second bunker, this time on my left. Again, the bunker gets busted, but this time my three guys inside are in really bad shape. The Germans charge in once more. I roll a seven, with is right in the middle of the curve, so I let it slide. The Germans get a better roll and would stand to wipe out all of my guys (including a much needed leader), so I take a chance and hand over the Initiative. The Germans roll again to get an abysmal result. So I get the Intiative back, and the Germans roll again... to tie with my total. I decided to let it go and retain the Initiative. Everyone to the casualty track!

Wouldn't you believe it -- the next melee (this time in the building at the bottom of the map) went in a similar manner, with everyone ending up on the casualty track. I was still ahead in points, but not by far.
And after a few exchanges of fire, we BOTH ended up only one casualty away from a surrender.

There was one last melee in the game, again in the building at the bottom of the map. It was a two-man struggle... and once more we ended up with a tie. I still had the initiative, so I let the melee resolve itself in a tie, we BOTH reached our surrender level, and I won because I had possession of the Initiative.
(I was ahead two points on the victory track -- which doesn't matter in this case, but it goes to show just how close the game was.)

I don't recall a session that's kept us *that much* on the edge of our seats.
Phew!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang, Sir !! What a game !

Enjoyed reading about it, thanks for taking the time and trouble to write and post it for me.

You should do MORE AARs, you obviously have a talent for it.

Chick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why we play Combat Commander.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
Dang, Sir !! What a game !

Enjoyed reading about it, thanks for taking the time and trouble to write and post it for me.

You should do MORE AARs, you obviously have a talent for it.

Chick

Thanks Chick!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the writeup! This sounds scarily similar to a session I had in Europe.

Can't wait to get my hands of BP#5!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide Banchini c/o SELED
Italy
Faenza
Ravenna
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Glad to read that, I just finished setup of scenario 74 (battle pack arrived today), dealt the first hands aaand... ready to start!!

(Playing solo though).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.