Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...is what I'm sure many will say to this, but I like this better than Castles of Burgundy. Now, I'm not a Feld connoisseur like many others. I own and enjoy CoB, and I owned Trajan (traded it due to not having a compatible gaming group, and am already regretting it), but that's the limit of my Feld experience. That being said, this one has been the one that has immediately "clicked" for me. I think it's because of the compact nature and relative lack of fiddliness (probably not a word). The thing about Feld's games that don't appeal to me are the set up and take down and seemingly hundreds of bits. This game is much more self contained. I know it's not as deep as his others. I know it's not a "big" game. That doesn't mean it's not as good in its own way. To me, one of the measures of a game is how often am I likely to play it. I think I'll play this game a LOT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, this is correct in my estimation...

maybe a biased estimation...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Right now THIS is my favorite Feld. It is focused and the players play each other just as much as the board. Even though it is light, the decisions are tough. The rules are not overbearing and allow the players room for clever play. No, it is not blasphemy at all. I would much rather play Rialto than Castles of Burgundy. I still like Castles a lot, but Rialto is the better game. I and others have said that Rialto kind of feels like Knizia and Feld collaborated on the design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
DrMayhem wrote:

Any updates on its availability?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:
DrMayhem wrote:

Any updates on its availability?

July 31st: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/12705434#12705434
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Rialto, but it can be frusterating. You are correct that it is a sleek design with little setup or takedown time.

Personally, I don't mind setup or takedown time at all. With CoB last game, I just dumped everything in the box haphazardly and sorted later in front of TV.

So what it boils down to is that I have more fun with the decisions at CoB. I like competing for the bonus tiles for areas. I like manipulating the dice and drafting the tiles from the depots.

In Rialto, I can choose a strategy and be completely frusterated by the cards that I cannot get. Sure, one can partially mitigate the card luck, but not as easily as one manipulates the die roles in CoB IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chris1nd wrote:
I like Rialto, but it can be frusterating. You are correct that it is a sleek design with little setup or takedown time.

Personally, I don't mind setup or takedown time at all. With CoB last game, I just dumped everything in the box haphazardly and sorted later in front of TV.

So what it boils down to is that I have more fun with the decisions at CoB. I like competing for the bonus tiles for areas. I like manipulating the dice and drafting the tiles from the depots.

In Rialto, I can choose a strategy and be completely frusterated by the cards that I cannot get. Sure, one can partially mitigate the card luck, but not as easily as one manipulates the die roles in CoB IMHO.

A green level 4 building and a yellow level 4 building will give you the same ability to mitigate randomness as you have in CoB. Extra cards + the ability to convert 1 card into 2 of another gives you plenty of freedom to manage your hand to pursue a strategy. You still, however, have to time it correctly versus what your opponents are doing. It is true, however, that in the first round or two you cannot mitigate the card draw as well. But by round 3, usually players have a decent combination of buildings to pursue a path. I do believe the frustration level is lower in CoB, but the frustration in Rialto is of the good gamer variety IMO. Well, perhaps "frustrating" is the wrong word. "Challenging" may be better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
I will concede all of that (although denying players money has emerged as a strong tactic). I will still suggest that each turn, for me, is less fun that CoB. I think there are fewer decisions that I get to make about how the game progresses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Does that mean we need to get those buildings as fast as possible to mitigate bad luck? In CoB, it seems less forced than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Valkyser
Germany
Wesseling
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
I and others have said that Rialto kind of feels like Knizia and Feld collaborated on the design.

I like that observation. Very spot on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.