Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I got to play my new copy last Friday, and made a ton of mistakes. If you'd like to make those mistakes yourself, then skip this article. I may not have anything valid to say, having only played once, but I've been thinking a lot about it, so it might help some.

At the start. Mina Harker is your friend. She is easy to defeat, as she only needs one bite. If the Hunters put her off by herself, consider being somewhere near her, so when night falls, you can nail her and give her a second bite. The Hypnosis card means she will be trouble for you later on, so if you can get to her early, before she can power up with nasty events and items, the easier she will be to bite.

In other starting issues, look at the encounters you have drawn. Many of the encounters are much nastier in Eastern Europe, so if you have the Peasants or Minions, consider whether you can get to EE to drop those off.

Also remember that the Hunters can get a lot more accomplished in major cities than minor ones, and that if they encounter an encounter, they cannot resupply.

Also, recognize that when you mature a new vampire, the trail clears, so you will most likely not want multiples of these in the trail at the same time, unless the oldest ones are in danger of being encountered during the day. Some of the other encounters also clear the trail, and can mess up your own carefully laid plans.

Also, don't miss the power of some of the, at first glance, weaker encounters. Fog can seal off a space while you bide your time to make an escape. Bats allow you to move the Hunter on the next move, so you can drop a nasty minion, then a bats, and if the bats are encountered, you can send the hunter to the minion!

If you have Hoax at the start, you might want to consider starting in Western Europe, but close to the boundary. Drop Hoax on the west, then move to the east to put down the peasants and minions.

The Aegean and southern Italy are really, really bad places to be for Dracula. If Rome gets closed by Consecrated ground or holy ground, you are trapped. Speaking of those, they can really mess up Dracula, as there are a couple of places where these can really mess you up, hampering your movement options. Rome is one. Another is nearby.

The Atlantic Ocean rocks. You can go to three different directions from there. If you have to go to sea, it's a pretty good spot to be in.

Castle Dracula is a nice place to be, but there are only two ways out.

Don't allow yourself to get too low on blood by your own actions. The Hunters will be draining your blood quickly enough, and you need it for wolf form, dark call, etc.

Remember which event cards you have. Cancelling a Hunter event can be crucial, so use that card wisely.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Other thoughts appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
An advice I'd give to Dracual is: don't be shy to pay (Blood Points) to embark or use Wolf Form or Dark Call when it is the case (Wolf Form is particularly powerful). You've 15 Blood Points, so you can well afford to pay a few to broaden your options!

Windopaene wrote:
Also, recognize that when you mature a new vampire, the trail clears, so you will most likely not want multiples of these in the trail at the same time, unless the oldest ones are in danger of being encountered during the day.

Even if encountered during night it'll be removed (discarded or sent back to your hand), so it's safe to lay more than a New Vampire if the Hunters are on your trail (as it's always the case, due to the cascade of "information" Events in deck: Newspaper Report, Telegraph Ahead, Hired Scouts, Hypnosis, Surprising Return getting back Hypnosis... and they're all present in multiple copies!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
Great thoughts. I had trouble keeping Dracula hidden, the cards the hunters kept picking up made my trail fully visible for most of the game, I never had more than two or three hidden location cards at one time.

Don't underestimate fog! It saved me several times in the one game I played. I never got bats, but that one sounds excellent as well: I was very tardy to learn that it's the minions (not me!) that will punish the hunters. Dracula isn't that good at fighting, even at night, and especially against a well armed hunter. You should only go in if you suspect you can kill a hunter, not just to weaken them (mistake number one for me in my first game)

A strategy that I thought sounded interesting was posted in this forum: starting off at that island in the mediterranean (Cagula? Something like that), playing a vampire, then hiding, playing something else, then going to sea. Though that vampire will likely get seen (there are tons of those damn cards for the hunters!), it's so far away that it may not get destroyed by the time it's ready to mature. Plus there is a second encounter on top of it that can stall (or at least injure) the hunter further. Consider this strategy if your encounter hand starts with a vampire and a fog.

Any other thoughts? I can't wait to play this again, this is one of the best games I've tried in awhile!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
mattprice wrote:
that island in the mediterranean (Cagula? Something like that)

The island is Sardinia (Sardegna in Italian), the city is Cagliari.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike fryer
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played once, and did not finish the game, but I think our Dracula was played very well. We were 1/3 through the turns and 1/3 of Dracula's blood counters.

I don't see any advantage to killing Nina early, it is just too easy for the hunters to power back up after being killed. Dracula should start as far from the hunters as possible, the UK is ok early on, but later in the game it can become a death trap. Dracula can not return to the same location twice (within the last six moves) without using a special power, and once is not enough in the UK.

Definatly stick to the smaller towns early on, Hunters need the major cities to power up at the begining. Save the wolf form for jumping over a hunter in a major city if they start to close in. Also try to use the wolf form somewhere with a lot of options. Remembering where the hunters have been will help. They tend not to search cities they have been in recently.

I disagree with the logic for not using multiple new vampires at a time. Every time one of those matures, Dracula gets 2 vampires, that cuts 2 days off of the time the hunters have to track you down. The Hunters can not let new vampires mature. If Dracula has 2 or more vampires already, two matured new vampires is a win.

Dracula wants to escape combat, and that is pretty easy for him to do, garlic helps prevent that. Save the agents, especiallty the assassin, because when hunters are loaded to fight Dracula, a lot of items won't help against agents (garlic, crucifix, holy water).

Dracula really needs to get new vampires to mature. Our Dracula made what seemed like a stupid move that let us now where he was. The idea was for us hunters to converge on him while a couple of new vampires slipped through. It would have given Dracula the win (we were a 2 vampires). We got lucky and got a card that revealed encounters, but we would have ignored the encounters in out haste to attack Dracula. We were forced to use resolve to get to the new vampires in time. Even getting one to mature is a major victory for Dracula, reducing the days left by 1/3.

I really think that an experienced Dracula who knows his powers and the cards and minions he could get will have a slight edge. Inexperienced players can be good hunters, but Dracula has a lot going on and a lot of options.

I would love to play this again as Dracula, but since I played at OrcCon and do not own the game, it may be awhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikeef wrote:
I have only played once, and did not finish the game, but I think our Dracula was played very well. We were 1/3 through the turns and 1/3 of Dracula's blood counters.

I don't see any advantage to killing Nina early, it is just too easy for the hunters to power back up after being killed.

Because every time a hunter is defeated, Dracula scores +2?

mikeef wrote:

Definatly stick to the smaller towns early on, Hunters need the major cities to power up at the begining.

Except the bigger towns let them get items, and if they encounter an encounter, they can't resupply there.

mikeef wrote:

I disagree with the logic for not using multiple new vampires at a time. Every time one of those matures, Dracula gets 2 vampires, that cuts 2 days off of the time the hunters have to track you down. The Hunters can not let new vampires mature. If Dracula has 2 or more vampires already, two matured new vampires is a win.

Just pointing out that when the first one matures, the second one is going to go away, so having two out simultaneously is going to result in one being returned to the cup most likely. They are too valuable to throw away like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Pattison
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just to clarify,

In step 6 of Game Setup (pg. 7), "Dracula does not place an encounter on his first turn". This means that if you start in Cagliari, you have to hide on your second turn to place the New Vampire there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Olson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
relmbob wrote:
Just to clarify,

In step 6 of Game Setup (pg. 7), "Dracula does not place an encounter on his first turn". This means that if you start in Cagliari, you have to hide on your second turn to place the New Vampire there.

It gets worse. Top of page 22:

"Encounters placed on [Hide] can never be matured or placed in the Catacomb–they are always returned to the encounter pool."

It's a great place to leave a New Vampire to mature, but you won't be able to do it as your first location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.