Subject: Picking up a LCG... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adventurous Moose

LOUISVILLE
KY - Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmb
Myself and a few (4-5) friends have decided to drop MTG and pick up a lcg. I have already made the decision that I will be getting A:N, but I think it would be most enjoyable to have a second game to play to break up the monotony.

So, removing A:N from the mix, what would be the game of choice? Is AGOT/LOTR/CoC too expansive (expensive?) to get involved in at this point? Is SW a promising a game to invest? Is W:I good at all? Which is the best overall game (in your opinion) and why?

Basically, if you were starting out playing TODAY, with no regard of community (there are multiple people who play each game), what one game would you pick and buy multiple core sets and a good number of expansions and why would you be reluctant to choose the others?

And yes, I understand where I am posting this. I want to get an idea from each group so that we can better make our decision.

Thanks for any input laughlaugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Keaten
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
First Click
badge
Praise it.
mbmbmbmbmb
CoC will get expensive if you have to get everything RIGHT NAO. I may or may not suffer from that issue

It's certainly easy to pick up and run with without that sort of investment though. Other people might be better at telling you which packs are the best to grab off the bat, but all in all you don't really need much to give yourself a lot of possibilities with this one.

I've not played any of the others aside from A:NR, so I can't really provide much input there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried all of the LCGs, and the two that I collect are Call of Cthulhu and Netrunner.

I like having a large back-catalog of cards. You don't need to have all of them, but it's nice that if you really like the game that there's more you can get. I really don't understand how the same people can say "I wish we had the next five Netrunner releases NOW!" and then somehow think that having a bigger pool in another LCG is an awful thing. I like Netrunner, but I don't much like waiting for the game to ramp up.

One of the best parts of Cthulhu is that you have the most freedom of any of the LCGs in how to build your deck. Most decks are dual faction, you can mix any factions, and there are no limits on how you can put your deck together. No influence limit, no objective sets, no surcharge for playing an out-of-faction card. Just find an idea that grabs you and go for it.

As for where to start, I generally recommend a Core set plus Secrets of Arkham. Soon you'll want a 2nd Core, and way down the line probably a 3rd, but you can by for a long time without it. I'd pick up the Shifting Sands pack which has the most current set of story cards, and after that it's up to you. There's a series of faction boxes they're working on so if you like Miskatonic or Yog-Sothoth you can grab those. There's the Silver Twilight box which adds a new faction to the game. And coming soon is another "for everyone" boxed set called Terror in Venice that would be a great addition too, I expect soon I'll be recommending Core + Secrets of Arkham + Venice as a great place to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Keaten
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
First Click
badge
Praise it.
mbmbmbmbmb
The other general theme I find is - don't get the Dreamlands packs. They were made at 40 cards (20x2) instead of the 60 (20x3) that all the other sets came out with. Hopefully they get a reprint at 60 some day...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reprint of the first pack of Dreamlands is already listed on the release schedule. Besides, it's not like there aren't plenty of other packs to pick up in the meantime

And actually, the very old packs had 10x3 + 10x1. This was many years ago when the LCG first came out and they were still shaking off the old CCG thinking so they had 10 "Common" and 10 "Rare" cards in the pack. Hasn't been that way for a long time though and the Dreamlands cycle is the last one to be reprinted in the 60 card format - everything else has already been updated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric sometimes
msg tools
Re.LCG namely CoC. I am thinking of getting back into the game. I see that there are asylum packs (retired) and Deluxe boxes. I noticed a pack in particular: In Memory of Day. If it is a tough one to obtain, then should I wait for the reprint in a deluxe box? What would the time frame be on that set? Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome back to the game!

So you've got three things:

1. The regular asylum packs. These are 60 cards, with 3x copies each of 20 cards in each pack.

2. The old asylum packs. All of them have been reprinted except the Dreamlands cycle. These are 40 cards, with 10x3 "Commons" and 10x1 "Rares". Basically leftovers from the earliest days, you don't see them that much anymore. The first Dreamlands pack is already on the schedule to be reprinted in 60 card format though, and I expect the rest will follow. I'd just wait and buy other stuff for now and pick these up after they're reprinted. It's hard to say what the timeframe will be to complete them though.

2. The boxed sets, these have 55 cards in them. There are more or less two types - some that have equal releases for everyone and some that are focused on a single faction. Secrets of Arkham and the soon-to-be-released Terror in Venice are equal for everyone boxes. The Order of the Silver Twilight, Seekers of Knowledge, and The Key and the Gate are faction-specific. FFG's doing a series of boxes for every faction over time with the intent that new players can get a good start by buying one Core set plus a faction box for their favorite faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Ruiz
United States
Calexico
CA - California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Girlfriend 3 favorite LCG are Warhammer: Invasion, Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game and Android: Netrunner. My favorites are netrunner and warhammer invasion. I have just bought 3 expansions to warhammer (the big ones) but none to cthulhu I like it but I feel it miss something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried all LCGs except Warhammer. I don't care much for AGoT, since I see it as just an inferior version of CoC with a boring theme.

My current fave is definitely Netrunner, since it plays completely different from any of the other LCGs. I also feel it makes sense to invest in a second LCG, though.

Star Wars is fun, easy to learn and plays very quickly. Also, deck-building is greatly simplified. I'm not really interested in investing in a second Core set or Force Packs, though, since I feel it lacks the depths that CoC has to offer.
I'll get the first Deluxe Expansion and consider it a complete game.

Now, CoC is the one I've been playing since it was rereleased as an LCG, and I prefer it over all of the LCGs originally designed by FFG. As dboeren already mentioned, the deck-building possibilities are endless, which is both a boon and a bane: I always have dozens of ideas buzzing around in my head at the same time, but creating a new deck that actually works well takes me forever. But when it does, it's incredibly satisfying.
The rules are rather labyrinthine at this point, but _I suppose that's only fitting considering the occult theme.
And this is another big plus for me: the Mythos theme; I'll probably continue buying the cards even if I should ever stop playing the game, because I enjoy the artwork so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric sometimes
msg tools
Purchased another core CoC, Secrets of Asylum and Twilight deluxe expansions from miniature Mkt.

Question re Asylum packs and deluxe expansions: Will FFG issue cards from Asylum packs into future deluxe expansions or should I be purchasing available Asylum packs?

I'd hate to start buying packs and find out some are not available like In Memory of Day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't know. It's possible that they might decide to repackage old cycles of Asylum packs into boxes, but there have been no official announcements.

I would advise not buying the Dreamlands packs yet, wait for the reprint - whether it comes in packs or boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They've announced and accomplished several Asylum Pack reprints since the move to releasing all new expansions in the larger boxed format. Holding off all the Asylum Packs in anticipation of boxed format reprint versions which may or may not happen seems pointless to me. I'm happy to have the cards to play with now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
casual2013 wrote:
Will FFG issue cards from Asylum packs into future deluxe expansions or should I be purchasing available Asylum packs?
I consider that unlikely.
A cycle has too many cards for a single deluxe expansion. It's 120 vs. ~55. So, they'd have to release each cycle using at least two deluxe sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to dredge this thread up, but has anyone tried The Lord of the Rings card game? It is also supposedly a LCG, but because it's coop, does making a deck for it feel the same as other LCGs?

I'm considering getting into the LCG scene and was trying to decide between this and LotR.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play it here from time to time. Two guys collect it and they usually build the decks for everyone - although a couple of times I've built my own deck and emailed them the list to assemble it for game night.

It's a good game, with two caveats:
1. It doesn't really feel much like the other LCGs, more like a boardgame. You do get a similar experience of choosing cards that work together - and even a second level of designing decks to work with each other, either at the card level (Bob is buffing Gondor characters so I'll include some Gindir too) as well as at a party-design level (Bob is making a tank deck, so I'll do healing and support and Frank can build a questing deck). But, as the gameplay is cooperative, the feel there is boardgame-like, sort of solving puzzles rather than fighting. Have you played the Pathfinder card game? A bit like that, but more customization and without the leveling up stuff.

2. For optimum enjoyment, you will want to choose adventures that are a good difficulty match for your skill and deck power. The game is best when it's tough, and less fun when it's too easy. Since we have a full set of cards, often design our decks together, and usually play with 3-4 skilled card gamers - we often resort to the Nightmare mode or an adventure which is known to be very difficult. If you're newer, less well integrated, or have a smaller pool you can play easier adventures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.