Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
72 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Best console? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you think it is? Personally my favorite is Dinosaurus, but I'm a noob, so what do I know.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Doppleganger
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink...
Avatar
mb
Desperado and it isn't even close.
30 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendall Merriman
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Best for who? For doing what?

I'm partial to "whichever fits with the deck I'm building, including none at all."
20 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyrael Tyranous
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
Honestly, I would say that the best overall console right now is Desperado.

Not that the others aren't useful, but they're more situationally useful:

Grimoire is useful if you run a bunch of viruses
Dino is good for boosting icebreakers that cost a lot to boost
Doppleganger is a good tool for creating pressure, or when you have a lot of money, but need more clicks to run

Desperado is just the best one, because its never not good, as you make a successful credit after EVERY SUCCESSFUL RUN. That makes your turns insanely more efficient, and just is never not good.

The best test is to take any decklist, take out the console used, and put in a Desperado. While other consoles might synergize better with certain decklists, there isn't a single one I can think of where Desperado doesn't work, or does nothing for them.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
@Lyrael: Well, if you replace a console with Desperado in a non-criminal deck, you'd be losing 3 influence, for starters. (Less if you were using a different OOF console, but you'll still lose some as it's the only one worth 3.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Doppleganger.

Where's Alex?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FallenMajesty wrote:
Dino is good for boosting icebreakers that cost a lot to boost
Or fixed-strength breakers that otherwise can't be boosted without outside help like Ice Carver, Datasucker or Parasite. (Which is why "Yog.0-saurus" is such a popular combo in Shaper decks; a STR 5 decoder will take on any current, un-buffed Code Gate except Cell Portal.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Dugger

Corvallis
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I lean Desperado, but Doppleganger absolutely demolishes Replicating perfection.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm a total Corp player, and I play NBN when I'm not playing Jinteki, so I'm a big fan of Spinal Modem.

"Yes, run on my R&D... Now let me introduce you to Bernice Mai!"
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Goodwin
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DrTall wrote:
Definitely Doppleganger.

Where's Alex?


Alex had to step out for a moment, but here's roughly how he'd reply:

Desperado is AMAZING.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nephtys Nephtys
msg tools
Desperado is by far the best console.

Dino is... overrated in my opinion.

The most underappreciated console in the game is Spinal Modem. It doesn't work YET in Anarch because Anarchs don't do that stuff... but it's a great card. It's the part of Toolbox that you care about, at less than half the cost.

The 'downside' is really easily managable. Just break all the traces, or win them. Only Bernice Mai has any chance really, and even then... great console.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Desperado
2) Doppelganger (too bad it strictly competes with Desperado!)
3) Grimoire (which is incredibly good at what it does, in a virus deck)
4) Dinosaurus
5) Toolbox
6) Spinal Modem of terriblness
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nephtys wrote:
Desperado is by far the best console.

Dino is... overrated in my opinion.

The most underappreciated console in the game is Spinal Modem. It doesn't work YET in Anarch because Anarchs don't do that stuff... but it's a great card. It's the part of Toolbox that you care about, at less than half the cost.

The 'downside' is really easily managable. Just break all the traces, or win them. Only Bernice Mai has any chance really, and even then... great console.


I feel like you could remove the drawback entirely, and leave the card otherwise the same, and that would make it a reasonable console, but not overpowered or anything. Giving it that drawback just kindof punishes it needlessly.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm more likely to run no console than run Spinal Modem in a Anarch deck that doesn't use a lot of viruses.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moku Zea
msg tools
designer
mbmb
Personally I use the Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:

I feel like you could remove the drawback entirely, and leave the card otherwise the same, and that would make it a reasonable console, but not overpowered or anything. Giving it that drawback just kindof punishes it needlessly.


Yeah...really it's like "half" as good as Toolbox at about half the price, except for the massive downside. Really either the downside should be gone or the cost should be reduced to like, 2 credits.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mara
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Desperado
2. Grimoire
3. Deep Red
4. Dinosaurus
5. Doppelgänger
6. Spinal Modem
7. The Toolbox
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EndTheRun wrote:
1. Desperado
2. Grimoire
3. Deep Red
4. Dinosaurus
5. Doppelgänger
6. Spinal Modem
7. The Toolbox


Wow, everyone hates on Toolbox...with Kate and Modded it seems like it's not too bad, if you want a Link rig with larger breakers.

I personally use Dinosaurus a lot because I play CT pretty often, and usually I'll run a fixed-strength breaker (Mimic typically) to be hosted on Dino.

In terms of overall usefulness and what I see most often, though, definitely Desperado and Grimoire, just because there are a ton of people playing Criminal and Noise Virus mill.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nephtys Nephtys
msg tools
MavericK96 wrote:
Alexfrog wrote:

I feel like you could remove the drawback entirely, and leave the card otherwise the same, and that would make it a reasonable console, but not overpowered or anything. Giving it that drawback just kindof punishes it needlessly.


Yeah...really it's like "half" as good as Toolbox at about half the price, except for the massive downside. Really either the downside should be gone or the cost should be reduced to like, 2 credits.


Except Toolbox kills your tempo way harder. It may be half as expensive on paper, but in reality, it's a LOT easier to get out, and to get those recurring credits to pay itself back. So it's not HALF as good. If you really don't need the extra link, and the extra 1 MU, it's EXACTLY AS GOOD, for less than half the price.

I've literally only ever been hit by the downside once. and that was from Bernice Mai. And taking 1 brain damage in a game is not that big of a deal, if you're winning hard enough
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nephtys wrote:
MavericK96 wrote:
Alexfrog wrote:

I feel like you could remove the drawback entirely, and leave the card otherwise the same, and that would make it a reasonable console, but not overpowered or anything. Giving it that drawback just kindof punishes it needlessly.


Yeah...really it's like "half" as good as Toolbox at about half the price, except for the massive downside. Really either the downside should be gone or the cost should be reduced to like, 2 credits.


Except Toolbox kills your tempo way harder. It may be half as expensive on paper, but in reality, it's a LOT easier to get out, and to get those recurring credits to pay itself back. So it's not HALF as good. If you really don't need the extra link, and the extra 1 MU, it's EXACTLY AS GOOD, for less than half the price.

I've literally only ever been hit by the downside once. and that was from Bernice Mai. And taking 1 brain damage in a game is not that big of a deal, if you're winning hard enough


I feel like you must be getting some level of luck, then, because with NBN and popular ICE like Caduceus, I can't see being able to beat every trace that comes up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
FallenMajesty wrote:
The best test is to take any decklist, take out the console used, and put in a Desperado. While other consoles might synergize better with certain decklists, there isn't a single one I can think of where Desperado doesn't work, or does nothing for them.


Noise Workshop doesn't run enough to take advantage of the free Credit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It all depends what you want to do and on your faction. The only console that's unplayable is Toolbox, but Doppleganger comes close because it's pretty much just a worse Desperado.

Grimoire's spectacular in Noise. It does everything you could ask for, it's the best balance of cost- and card- efficient MU in the game, and the trigger is a nice added benefit.

Desperado's a ton of free money. As long as you make a lot of runs, Desperado is extremely efficient.

Dinosaurus on it's own is unimpressive. Five for a mem chip and two Personal Touches is a fine cost, but it doesn't do that much. However, in combination with Yog.0 it produces the most efficient decoder in the game by a huge margin.

Spinal Modem is underrated. The drawback is less of an issue for a good player, you take maybe one brain damage you weren't prepared for ever two or three games. There just aren't that many tracers that see play. Like, Caduceus is a savage beating sometimes, and that really sucks, but the recurring credits mean it's usually more valuable than Desperado.

Of the two bad ones:

Toolbox costs nine, and it gives 2 MU. Costing nine wouldn't be the end of the world, but the MU means that either your full rig can't be finished until you install a nine-cost hardware that takes several turns to pay itself back, or you're paying for wasted stats. Then there's the fact that in the current metagame 2 link is worth approximately nothing, and you're left with an incredibly expensive spinal modem. (Costing nine is a worse drawback than taking brain damage from traces by a huge margin.)

Doppleganger's a totally fine card. It's costed aggressively, it gives you a lot of value. Unfortunately, a click to run isn't worth more than a credit in most decks, and Desperado has the same cost, the same MU, and can trigger more than once a turn. I guess Doppleganger's one influence cheaper, you could try to do Notoriety things with it...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgand
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MokuZ wrote:
Personally I use the Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7


Can't afford an Excalibur? Who can really.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EndTheRun wrote:
6. Spinal Modem
7. The Toolbox


Seriously?

The Toolbox is expensive, but you get a lot of useful stuff in just one action.

The credits (and potentially link) will soon enough have it paid for itself.

It really isn't that bad.

OTOH, Spinal Modem is so terrible, it does not even belong on the list.

Bye
Thanee
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.