Victory Point Games
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

http://victorypointgames.com/details.php?prodId=130

THE GREAT WAR IN THE EAST: 1914-1918

When war in Europe broke out in 1914, the Ottoman Empire, pursuant to secret protocols, agreed to provide shelter to the fleeing German Battleship, Goeben, which was renamed Yavuz. After Britain refused to deliver newly ordered Turkish battleships, the Turko-German fleet bombarded Russian forts, signaling the Ottoman Empire’s entrance into World War One.

Ottoman Sunset 2nd edition, by designer Darin Leviloff, is a stand-alone solitaire States of SiegeTM game on World War One in the Near East from 1914-1918. The player controls the Young Turks (CUP or Committee of Union and Progress) as they try to keep the Ottoman Empire alive amidst the struggles of the Great War.

Click here for all the details and to order Ottoman Sunset 2nd edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not too much of a change here...not even up to full gold banner edition standards, and no Hapsburg expansion either...why would I want to buy this? A couple extra/different event cards? Think I'll pass for now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
That's your prerogative, of course. We updated all the components, wired in all of the print-and-play optional rules, set the game up to be expanded to include Hapsburg Eclipse.

So be patient.

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Emrich wrote:
That's your prerogative, of course. We updated all the components, wired in all of the print-and-play optional rules, set the game up to be expanded to include Hapsburg Eclipse.

So be patient.

Alan Emrich

Thanks...per an earlier response to Hapsburg expansion...

See http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/995666/ottoman-sunset-gettin...

Alan Emrich
(Alan Emrich)

" ...and when is Habsburg Eclipse coming out? "

Unknown at this time. We're finally getting some wargames developers in-house and will be able to schedule our next several releases later this year. Right now, I know that it's not in the immediate queue.

Alan Emrich

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:20 am
QuickReply QuickQuote Reply Quote
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:
Not too much of a change here...not even up to full gold banner edition standards, and no Hapsburg expansion either...why would I want to buy this? A couple extra/different event cards? Think I'll pass for now...

You might also want to take a look at Darin's Designer Notes in this version. He provides more background to his thinking for this project. I think he lays it out well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
no flag
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any idea of which "State of Siege" game will get a gold banner edition next ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
HitchKennedy wrote:
MayorJim wrote:

You might also want to take a look at Darin's Designer Notes in this version. He provides more background to his thinking for this project. I think he lays it out well.

Oooo! ...more designer's notes too. All for around $25 bucks. Come on, I'll wait until Hapsburg comes out (it's not even in the queue). For me, this is a non-purchase, no brainer. Kick it up to Gold Standard and link it to Hapsburg (not a vapor ware Hapsburg) and I'm all in.

I own the "1st" edition and it plays well and is a lot of fun as is. Don't need to blow $25 bucks for a few extra cards, new tokens (not Gold Standard) and a "link" to a non-existent, not planned (I.e. not in the queue) game with some more designer's notes. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim allen
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All new and second edition VPG games, including this one, have gold Standard counters. Not sure why you would say its not a "full" gold banner edition. Its got my new revised map, extra thick and chunky counters (including standees), and up-sized cards with new artwork.

But yes its basically the same game, so if you are happy with the 1st edition, thats kool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:
HitchKennedy wrote:
MayorJim wrote:

Oooo! ...more designer's notes too. All for around $25 bucks. Come on, I'll wait until Hapsburg comes out (it's not even in the queue). For me, this is a non-purchase, no brainer. Kick it up to Gold Standard and link it to Hapsburg (not a vapor ware Hapsburg) and I'm all in.

I own the "1st" edition and it plays well and is a lot of fun as is. Don't need to blow $25 bucks for a few extra cards, new tokens (not Gold Standard) and a "link" to a non-existent, not planned (I.e. not in the queue) game with some more designer's notes. shake

My suggestion was that you read the Designer Notes. They are readily available on VPG's website. You might find them informative about the long-term vision for the project. (Personally, I'm intrigued with the co-operative play dynamic with two players.)

I'm puzzled why you are under the impression Hapsburg Eclipse isn't in the works? Clearly it is. Does it have a firm publish date? No, but's routine given the vagaries of the development process. Indeed this version of Ottoman Sunset is the version which will mate with Hapsburg Eclipse. So I'm not clear why you think you'd be "blowing" your money. Of course, if you prefer to wait, that is your prerogative. You're right. You don't need it right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Harris
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak.
badge
Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen. -- Winston Churchill
mbmbmbmbmb
This will be coming to me on payday. I can't tell what isn't Gold Banner about the second edition myself and the Hapsburg expansion makes it a no brainer for me personally.

Two states of siege games combined for an 'epic solitaire game' sounds right up my alley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
HitchKennedy wrote:
MayorJim wrote:
HitchKennedy wrote:
MayorJim wrote:

My suggestion was that you read the Designer Notes. They are readily available on VPG's website. You might find them informative about the long-term vision for the project. (Personally, I'm intrigued with the co-operative play dynamic with two players.)

I'm puzzled why you are under the impression Hapsburg Eclipse isn't in the works? Clearly it is. Does it have a firm publish date? No, but's routine given the vagaries of the development process. Indeed this version of Ottoman Sunset is the version which will mate with Hapsburg Eclipse. So I'm not clear why you think you'd be "blowing" your money. Of course, if you prefer to wait, that is your prerogative. You're right. You don't need it right now.

Well, see my post further up the line on July 11. Per Alan E. on June 24th "...it's not in the immediate queue..." So, while I think the linking idea is great...the game it's linking to is probably a year out. I did read the designers notes and the other stuff about this game and stand corrected in that it will be Gold Standard after all modest However; except for component upgrades and an extra event card...well, I think I'll wait until Hapsburg comes out...just my two cents...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Neiman
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Habsburg Eclipse is currently being developed by one of our in-house developers working with the designer, Darin Leviloff; while it is in the early stages and I cannot give you a definite publication date, I can say that it is highly unlikely it will take a year to see release. Barring any major issues we should be entering play testing in the next couple of months and we're doing all we can to get it out to all of you as soon as possible while still maintaining our high standards. In the mean time, I hope everyone continues to enjoy playing Ottoman Sunset, whether you have the First or Second Edition.

Josh Neiman
Board Games Producer/Lead Developer
Victory Point Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Leviloff
United States
Foster City
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I can verify what Josh just said. I've been in contact with the in-house developer and we are actively working on the game and nearing playtesting. Of course, we kind of have to do a double round of playtesting because after we make sure the game works as a stand-alone game, we've got to test the combined system. All will come in good time and I (and VPG) want to make sure that when "Habsburg Eclipse" comes out, it is an excellent product.

In the meantime, I can't wait to get my Gold Banner "Ottoman Sunset"- I play these games too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hapsburg Eclipse update.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1019489/hapsburg-eclipse-alp...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.